Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A question re. the new knock on rule

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leaguesaint

Leaguesaint
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Is there anything to stop the team receiving the ball after the knock on just kicking the ball down field and chasing after it. There's no risk as they'll get the ball back if it fails, and if they're quick enough to get to it first they should score a try.

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

No - but would that be the smartest move ? The defence must be favourites to get there first. Why not settle for a few risky passes ? If they come off you might be starting your set in the opposition half of the field, zero tackle. If they don't, you've got your scrum.

And it's an advantage rule - not just for knocks on. ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Just to add to this, what is to stop a team in possession on their fifth tackle deliberately knocking on then quickly gang tackling the receiving player 20m (say) further down the field, thus gaining an additional advantage?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Just to add to this, what is to stop a team in possession on their fifth tackle deliberately knocking on then quickly gang tackling the receiving player 20m (say) further down the field, thus gaining an additional advantage?

Because the scrum would be formed where the knock on occurred as no advantage would be gained.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,078 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Is there anything to stop the team receiving the ball after the knock on just kicking the ball down field and chasing after it. There's no risk as they'll get the ball back if it fails, and if they're quick enough to get to it first they should score a try.

i expect to see that play a few times this year - i'd be very surprised if Lee Briers didnt try it.
Its a good option I think and as you say, completely risk free.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,078 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

And it's an advantage rule - not just for knocks on. ;)

what else could it be for?

#7 callig

callig
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

i expect to see that play a few times this year - i'd be very surprised if Lee Briers didnt try it.
Its a good option I think and as you say, completely risk free.

Sheffield attempted it on Thursday night. Fax knocked on about 10 or 15 metres out and the Sheffield player hacked at the ball knowing it was a free play. Pretty sure he would have scored if it had not gone straight into a Fax players arms given they were so close to the line and he was the only one switched on to it.

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Because the scrum would be formed where the knock on occurred as no advantage would be gained.

As I read it the new rule no longer refers to such an advantage, hence my question. If I'm incorrect would you please point me in the right direction?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

As I read it the new rule no longer refers to such an advantage, hence my question. If I'm incorrect would you please point me in the right direction?

You've read it wrong, BSJ. Scrums aren't abolished for knocks on. We still go back to them if there's no advantage.

Or - indeed - a penalty for a deliberate knock on.

And, anyway, I'm not sure how much of an advantage you'd get from that scenario. :mellow: It's like giving up on the big last play to either score or boot in downfield depending on where you are.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Widnesbernie

Widnesbernie
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Luke Dorn tried it today against widnes. Its a fee play. Dodgy bounce and you might get possession. If the defending team knock on you get a big advantage, else you get the ball back at the original position of the mistake anyway.