Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Sky Clowns

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

I know this a recurring subject year on year. At half time of the Leeds game i switched channels to watch a few minutes of England Saxons and was struck by the standard of the commentary. They were following the action of the game, commenting on each play, informing the viewer of the nuances of the game. After 40 minutes of Eddy & Stevo`s drivel it was a godsend. It sounds as if those 2 are sat in the snug of a pub chatting generally about the game whilst occasionally glancing at the game in front of them. The game can be flowing for 5 minutes without them actually commentating on the moves, the players involved or tactics.They just carry giving banal generalities or "They need to try something different like a chip over the top". With RL seemingly to be on the rise somebody should really have a word about replacing these 2 clowns, especially Stevo who comes across as the bar room bore/bully/dullard.

#2 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

and anything the two of them say is is still a trillion times better than the utter boredom and drivel that spouts from the onion comentators.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,223 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

The problem is, as we know very well, that RL lacks nuances. That's why RU is so very exciting.

The broadcasters try to fit their commentary to their perceived audience. that's why the channel who provided you with such an entertaining commentary team also manages to do quite the opposite on the rare occasions that they broadcast RL.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Just listen to the guys who cover the NRL. You can then see how bad our lot are.

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

The Aussies are always having a go at the NRL commentators. Think it's a case of grass is always greener...
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I still love Stevo always offering "do something different, maybe a little chip over the top", the irony amuses me.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I still love Stevo always offering "do something different, maybe a little chip over the top", the irony amuses me.

Which is normally around the hour mark,give or take 5 minutes.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#8 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Apparently Stevo is actually still in Australian,Sky just randomly play his six semi literate phrases - I try to be constructive about most things to do with rl but in Stevo's case it really is impossible.The guy does more damage to rl than anything else about the game.

#9 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Another round, another commentary thread
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#10 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I watched Halifax v Sheffield on Premier last Thursday and I found the commentary a lot better to be honest.

Mind you we got our first "he's a tough hombre" on Friday ...

#11 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

You could probably take Eddie and Stevo's first every commentary on a RL match and apply it to every game they've done since.It's the same old drivel every week/season,Stevo being the worst culprit.

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

On Radio Five Live this morning, George Riley mentioned how much rugby fans like to moan..and he included himself in that. He's not wrong!

Edited by JohnM, 04 February 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#13 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

There was an incident early in the Sts v Hudds game that got Eddies back up and he went on about it for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Criticising the player involved, the ref, the refs assistants and waxing on about so and so wouldn't even have the ball if they'd picked up on the incident.

Then they showed another replay of the incident and it clearly showed that Eddie was wrong, all he said was "maybe not" but we'd had 3 or 4 minutes of ranting and bigotry based on his stubborn insistence that he'd seen something that never actualy happened.

Ths is a regular occurrence with E&S if it snt one of hem it's the other, time to get rid!

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

You could probably take Eddie and Stevo's first every commentary on a RL match and apply it to every game they've done since.It's the same old drivel every week/season,Stevo being the worst culprit.

Funny, you could say the same about the first ever internet thread about Eddie and Stevo.

I'm going to start Stevo forum bingo. I'll throw in "drivel", "clowns", "get rid" and "disgrace to the game" to start

Edited by Amber Avenger, 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Yes, slagging off the sky commentary team is not original, but still. They are on so much and now for so many years, they do start to grate.

Between Eddie, Stevo, Clarkey and McRae you would think that they could come up with better tactical analysis than Stevo's stock "pure skill factor", but insights into how stuff happens are rare, and usually come from JOHN WELLS SHOUTING at half-time.

They could do much better. More Carney, less Stevo would be a start.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

it was great to hear stevo praising the signings of kevin brown and gareth hock and saying how they will improve the side no end.......................and then tip us to finish bottom????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#17 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

the absolute jizzfest over the Rhinos on Friday was nauseating
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Can somebody get the message out to the sky producers during this stanza? Could be claret all over the place otherwise.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

i can't wait for the challenge cup games to start on bbc, claire balding is like a breath of fresh air with her presentation of the game, and sh shows a genuine enthusiasm for TGG
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

i can't wait for the challenge cup games to start on bbc, claire balding is like a breath of fresh air with her presentation of the game, and sh shows a genuine enthusiasm for TGG

Er....

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users