Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Sky Clowns

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

i can't wait for the challenge cup games to start on bbc, claire balding is like a breath of fresh air with her presentation of the game, and sh shows a genuine enthusiasm for TGG

Claire's left the BBC so you won't be seeing her anymore

Edited by marklaspalmas, 04 February 2013 - 01:01 PM.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

sad that she was superb
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Eddie and Stevo do far more damage to the image of rugby league than Stephen Jones and his ilk ever will.

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,083 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

sad that she was superb

Judging by the International last year, it looks like Mark Chapman has got the gig for BBC Rugby League coverage.

Honestly, you shoot a Beatle and they call this punishment?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the comments. My main point was that in the last 18 years Sky`s technical coverage has improved dramatically whilst Eddy and Stevo still appear to be fiddling about with an abacus. Any new viewer would not learn anything about the technicalities (or even basics) of our game listening to their commentary. It seems there is a little complacency with the Sky hierarchy, "well they`ve done it for 18 years, let them carry on". I agree, Brian Carney seems to be much more informed and articulate, if not him we could always try Statler and Waldorf, sorry, we already have!

#26 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the comments. My main point was that in the last 18 years Sky`s technical coverage has improved dramatically whilst Eddy and Stevo still appear to be fiddling about with an abacus. Any new viewer would not learn anything about the technicalities (or even basics) of our game listening to their commentary. It seems there is a little complacency with the Sky hierarchy, "well they`ve done it for 18 years, let them carry on". I agree, Brian Carney seems to be much more informed and articulate, if not him we could always try Statler and Waldorf, sorry, we already have!

If you are watching the game why do you need to be told what is happening?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Perhaps they do assume they're reaching a long standing audience.

Anyway I find them ok, but it'll be on mute this Friday as I'll have the radio on for t'Bulls. Now BCB, they are pretty rubbish, even if it is off their own back. Score a try - best team in the world, concede a try - might aswell be under 8's.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Eddie and Stevo do far more damage to the image of rugby league than Stephen Jones and his ilk ever will.

No they don't.

Admittedly, Stevo is more gesturally articulate than he is verbally and I am puzzled as to how this can stand any public broadcaster in good stead (his "insights" on the game suffer dreadfully by comparison with Phil Gould's) - but he loves the game, as does Hemmings and that is not something that can ever be said of Stephen Jones.

#29 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

No they don't.

Admittedly, Stevo is more gesturally articulate than he is verbally and I am puzzled as to how this can stand any public broadcaster in good stead (his "insights" on the game suffer dreadfully by comparison with Phil Gould's) - but he loves the game, as does Hemmings and that is not something that can ever be said of Stephen Jones.

Yes they do.

Eddie and Stevo confirm all our critics' most simplistic prejudices - the fact that they do this as people who support the game is all the more damaging.

#30 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'm going to start Stevo forum bingo. I'll throw in "drivel", "clowns", "get rid" and "disgrace to the game" to start

Posted Image

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,083 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Excellent - I shall save that to the same folder as 'Boycott Bingo'. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Here's the two bingo cards I was sent in the past:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

:D

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yes they do.

Eddie and Stevo confirm all our critics' most simplistic prejudices - the fact that they do this as people who support the game is all the more damaging.

I don't disagree with you, but Eddie waring was exactly the same and apparently he was very popular with BBC viewers in the non heartlands areas in the days hwen league games had terrestrial coverage.

#35 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Brilliant. But how could you leave out the all time greatest "dissecting the winger and fullback"

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,233 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I do hope that you know how TV works. The commentators are actually performers as far as Sky are concerned and play the parts that they are paid to do - they don't just sit there relying upon some stream of conciousness to keep them going but perform according to pre-arranged structures. If you have ever met or listened to Stevo speaking in public (off the screen that is) you would realise that he is highly intelligent and extremely knowledgeable about the game; more knowledgeable than the majority of posters on here in fact.

Your comments are like criticising a player for following the coaches game plan. Sky like is as it is - they get high satisfaction ratings, and probably don't read RL forums.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yes they do.

What exactly do you mean by 'confirm all our critics' most simplistic prejudices'?

I don't find them brilliant, but I also get confused by why people find them so offensive.

#38 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

There's a guy at work who's watched RL a couple of times and never enjoyed it because he didn't know the rules, couldn't understand why they kicked it every 5 tackles etc. We watched the Leeds game Friday night and I explained the bits he struggled with, and now he loves it.

The amusing bit was part-way through the 2nd half when he commented on the fact that there hadn't been a scrum yet, to which I informed him that there had just been one but because it didn't need to be reset constantly he'd not noticed them!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#39 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Claire's left the BBC so you won't be seeing her anymore

I believe that she is now freelance and expecting to work for the BBC.

There was certainly some talk of that towards the back end of last year (or whenever it was that the Beeb chucked racing).
People called Romans they go the house

#40 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Brilliant. But how could you leave out the all time greatest "dissecting the winger and fullback"

We did that in biology at school........ or was it a mouse and a frog!

LUNEW.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users