Sky Clowns

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I do hope that you know how TV works. The commentators are actually performers as far as Sky are concerned and play the parts that they are paid to do - they don't just sit there relying upon some stream of conciousness to keep them going but perform according to pre-arranged structures. If you have ever met or listened to Stevo speaking in public (off the screen that is) you would realise that he is highly intelligent and extremely knowledgeable about the game; more knowledgeable than the majority of posters on here in fact.

Your comments are like criticising a player for following the coaches game plan. Sky like is as it is - they get high satisfaction ratings, and probably don't read RL forums.

I Can`t recall Sky having a "high satisfaction rating" poll on the commentators, i wish they would!

#42 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I believe that she is now freelance and expecting to work for the BBC.

There was certainly some talk of that towards the back end of last year (or whenever it was that the Beeb chucked racing).

I thought she was contracted to C4

#43 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I thought she was contracted to C4

She works for the company that is contracted to deliver C4 racing output. She is also freelance but will not feature in any of the BBC RL coverage, unless anything changes in the meantime.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#44 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

She works for the company that is contracted to deliver C4 racing output. She is also freelance but will not feature in any of the BBC RL coverage, unless anything changes in the meantime.

Fair enough. I am happy to stand corrected. :)

I am sure I read otherwise, though.
People called Romans they go the house

#45 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Fair enough. I am happy to stand corrected. :)

I am sure I read otherwise, though.

It was confirmed from the horse's mouth (so to speak) in Forty/20 Mag that she wouldn't be doing RL anytime soon IIRC.

Of course she is still working for the BBC - doing stuff like that Saturday night gameshow and is currently doing stuff for Radio 2 and 4. It was also announced she's doing a show for the new BT sports channel last week - profiles of sport's great and good. Maybe someone like Sinfield will get a look in - hopefully Clare will still put a word in.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 05 February 2013 - 04:23 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

She also confirmed that in reply to a tweeted question from me.

#47 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Brilliant. But how could you leave out the all time greatest "dissecting the winger and fullback"

I didn't make them.

If I did, they'd obviously be perfect, and no chance of a colour clash that's for sure!
Posted Image

#48 DaveGC

DaveGC
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Is not working for radio two sunday mornings not working for the bbc?

#49 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Here's the two bingo cards I was sent in the past:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I've got these I want them to stay.

I hope these don't infridge on Foxy's sponsorship agreement as Super League's Official Bingo Partner.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#50 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Is not working for radio two sunday mornings not working for the bbc?

A Sunday morning (recorded I believe) non sports show doesn't clash with her commitments to Channel 4 racing. Saturday afternoon Challenge Cup Rugby League does.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#51 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've Backchat on record, anxious now if it picks up where it left off on the Rod 'shouty' Studd front.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#52 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I wish Eddie and Stevo would learn that commentators do not have to talk all the way through the game. See Kenneth Wolstenholme, Barry Davies et al.

I suppose that's the skill factor. ;)

#53 irishfan

irishfan
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

When I first watching super league on SKY, back in 2009/10, the commentators were a bit of a non-issue. I was more interested in the actual game.
But as I've started to watch more this past couple of years I can see why they are annoying.
Stevo- just shouts alot, not making any real sense. Eddie- seems to be unclear on his role. He is the commentator/presentor so that should be about trying to get the 'experts' to give their 'expert opinion'. But eddie loves to give his opinion and why he's right. He should just describe what's happening, not try and explain it (thats the 'experts' role). Phil- very intelligant but cant get his message across in a good way, always feel like he's talking down to you. He's too foucused on stats.

Paul Cullen/Shaun McCrae/John Wells- not too fussed either way.

My favourites would be Brian, Barrie and Terry. Clearly good mates off camera and that shows on Extra Time. Good analysis and debate but a bit of banter as well.

Edited by irishfan, 06 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#54 Mikeyg

Mikeyg
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

A big problem with Eddie & Stevo is that they host AND commentate. It's just too much. Remember at the World Cup where they were left to just commentate and we had a separate studio analysis team (Cullen & Offiah, which could've been better but hey ho)? It was just much more bearable.

#55 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just wanted to thank Wellsy (?) for putting up the Stevo bingo cards. Mercifully I'm only exposed to Eddy for test matches -v- Australia when "you can put your house" on him saying "you just can't do that against these green and golds" .

#56 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Would it be possible for Mr Drake to have a poll on here for and against Eddy & Stevo? Would be interesting to see the result.

#57 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Stevo must have had loads of houses 'cos he's lost most of 'em gambling on VR decisions.

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Would it be possible for Mr Drake to have a poll on here for and against Eddy & Stevo? Would be interesting to see the result.

Anyone can start a poll thread. Go nuts!

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

as someone who grew up with the eddie waring style of commentary, i can honestly say that these two have stayed in the time warp of the cloth cap image of the game, we need younger more dynamic presenters to sell the game to a modern audience..............brian carney and phil clarke are a start.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#60 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

eddie and stevo will never top this bit of commentary..................

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users