Town v Swinton

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Those players you signed, did they have their contracts with Warrington cancelled then? Will they be free agents after 12 months? You may have done nothing wrong (as far as we know) but it will be interesting to see who is paying these players.

#82 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Nothing wrong , perhaps , but still smells bad.

Edited by DavidM, 04 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#83 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Not sure, but I think Walne was put on report for a bit of pushing.

Walne was put on report for running into the kicker on last tackle.

Overall I think we tackled Swinton out of it who really didn't produce much going forward, their first try was off a penalty against Morris (not playing the ball right) - thought we sickened them with our defence.

Pack played very well especially the props and Olstrum, Lupton was strong in defence and with ball in hand and his slow motion dummy was superb as he waltzed in for a try.

If we show that commitment in defence and a little more composure in the final third each game we will stay up.

We still have Acton, Matty and Miller to come into the team and that creates competition for places which is good for the team.

Our DR playing Hulme took his try well and would have had another if Lupton's pass was just a little but higher.

A promising start to the season and against a team we need to take points off this season if we are to stop up.

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#84 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

New season and same old same old in the RLE as town get the smallest and blandest report , hardly ever any quotes from our guys . Nice big bit on haven though and Woodsy comments.

#85 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

its only a week since the club were having to defend themselves for signing on the entire Widnes squad so I've found it a bit bemusing that the main talking point prior to yesterday's game was of Swinton doing something similar.
The only reason town supporters were complaining was because Paul Woods was playing, if it had been a few development players nobody would have batted an eyelid.

I think the whole system is floored and in the long run will damage the game. Some championship clubs will reduce their squad size and make up the numbers with the Super League partnerships, with the danger that our local players will be pushed to one side to give a player who couldn't give two hoots about our club a run out.

The only way you can grow and develop as a team is to play and persevere with your own players, somebody dropping in to play the odd game now and then just doesn't work. How many times last season did we find out that duel reg players weren't available at the last minute forcing the club to play a patched up side instead?

#86 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Yeah we used 9 dual reg and now we will get fined for breaking the rules.....get real.!! we played 3 D/R's the rest are on 12 month contracts and are Swinton players the fact that they all come from arguably the best super league club seems to be getting under some peoples skin.
Had we gone out to six deifferent clubs and brought in six new players would this debate even have arisen.
Clearly we haven't broken any rules as all the players have to be registerd with the RL.
Time people got over the fact we have used the rules to the best of our advantage, remember Swinton didn't set them and they open to every club to operate in the same way.
As the result showed it doesn't always work..... well done today on your win Town well and truely deserved it and will go ok in this league.

easy tiger. feel sorry for ya. all this and playing at leigh.

#87 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

its only a week since the club were having to defend themselves for signing on the entire Widnes squad so I've found it a bit bemusing that the main talking point prior to yesterday's game was of Swinton doing something similar.
The only reason town supporters were complaining was because Paul Woods was playing, if it had been a few development players nobody would have batted an eyelid.

I think the whole system is floored and in the long run will damage the game. Some championship clubs will reduce their squad size and make up the numbers with the Super League partnerships, with the danger that our local players will be pushed to one side to give a player who couldn't give two hoots about our club a run out.

The only way you can grow and develop as a team is to play and persevere with your own players, somebody dropping in to play the odd game now and then just doesn't work. How many times last season did we find out that duel reg players weren't available at the last minute forcing the club to play a patched up side instead?

#88 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

The only similarity i can see is that it involves DR players. Other than that Town haven't signed any Widnes players.
Also, I dont think anyone was complaining because Wood was playing. I am however very surprised at the fact 6 announced DR's from the warrington squad suddenly became swinton players and another 3 DR's were then announced. Its within the rules yes, within the spirit of the game? Hmmm

Edited by Monkeydo, 04 February 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#89 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

One funny thing about this is Swinton reps are saying in the paper how this is great for the club , has got everyone buzzing and talking , and fans coming through the turnstiles ... 601 was it ? God knows how many would have been there with 17 Swinton lads playing .

Edited by DavidM, 04 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#90 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

One funny thing about this is Swinton reps are saying in the paper how this is great for the club , has got everyone buzzing and talking , and fans coming through the turnstiles ... 601 was it ? God knows how many would have been there with 17 Swinton lads playing .

I was amazed when they gave the crowd as 601, I was thinking it was more like 400. Good following from the Town boys yesterday, they got behind the lads and were rewarded with a fantastic performance from them. The whole team were superb, but the Philips brothers, and Adam Walne were the pick of the bunch for me.
I would love to see a decent crowd on Sunday, but I fear the TV sport on offer might keep the numbers down. The club need to scream it from the rooftops that we have a team worth watching.

UP THE TOWN :)

#91 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

you have to feel for swinton really.

#92 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

New season and same old same old in the RLE as town get the smallest and blandest report , hardly ever any quotes from our guys . Nice big bit on haven though and Woodsy comments.

I'm ok for toilet paper at the minute so wont bother buying it

#93 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yeah we used 9 dual reg and now we will get fined for breaking the rules.....get real.!! we played 3 D/R's the rest are on 12 month contracts and are Swinton players the fact that they all come from arguably the best super league club seems to be getting under some peoples skin.
Had we gone out to six deifferent clubs and brought in six new players would this debate even have arisen.
Clearly we haven't broken any rules as all the players have to be registerd with the RL.
Time people got over the fact we have used the rules to the best of our advantage, remember Swinton didn't set them and they open to every club to operate in the same way.
As the result showed it doesn't always work..... well done today on your win Town well and truely deserved it and will go ok in this league.

Marshy, personally I have no problem which club the players come from, I have some reservations with playing Wood but I understand both sides of the argument. But in my view the 6 players deregistered by Warrington so they sign for Swinton to get around the 5 player limit is morally wrong and clearly bending the rules, if they had signed longer deals with Swinton I would again have had no problem with it.
I have reservations about these link ups as they stand, and if Town had done what Swinton has done with Widnes (have most of the team from the SL club) I would find it difficult to support a soulless team who's players are essentially not playing for the Town (Swinton) jersey. Clearly the gate on Sunday backs this up.
It was excellent that we were able to beat this team consisting mainly of Warrington players, it will be interesting to see how they go this season. If they finish one place above the relegation zone I think the relegated teams won't be very happy with it though.

I'm with you on the RLE article DavidM it was very poor considering there wasn't any Champ1 games yesterday, just gotta wait and see if the Haven fanzine shock us now!!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#94 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Sorry Voodooguro, I totally disagree with you. If Swinton have signed 6 players and registered them as their own, then under employment law they are employees of Swinton and not Warrington.
At the same time there is nothing to stop these players having their contracts (however small) terminated by Swinton and resigning for Warrington, or indeed being employed by both parties, as the Swinton contract would be deemed as a second job and they will pay full tax on any payment.
Whether we like it or not is irrelevant as it comes under the European employment law, so they are not breaking any law or by-law in signing these players. As for morally wrong, well I don't like what they are doing, or Town for that matter, but the system is there to be abused and some clubs will use that to their own advantage. We have to accept that this will eventually be self-governing. Some clubs will take advantage and some won't. I suspect in a couple of years time most championship clubs will distance themselves from these arrangements as they are, and will continue to be a distraction to meaningful team building.

#95 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Sorry Voodooguro, I totally disagree with you. If Swinton have signed 6 players and registered them as their own, then under employment law they are employees of Swinton and not Warrington.

Do you reckon Swinton can sell these players if another club made an offer, seeing as they apparently own them now ? If not, why not ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#96 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Who cares we WON

#97 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Who cares we WON

#98 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Gareth Walker in the RLE was making out that the story was about Paul Wood playing but I don't think many people were bothered about him playing as sometime or other it was going to happen at one club or another under this system, with players coming back from injury, etc.

No mention in his article about how young lads who signed 3 year contracts in October can be "signed" by Swinton in late January on 12 month contracts!!! What happened to the SL contracts? What conditions are attached to the Swinton contracts? Are these not just loan agreements under the guise of being official signings to get round the dual registration and loan systems?

The RFL is at fault here though because they allowed this process to be introduced without much thought as to how it would or should be run and before rules had been properly thought out to govern it. I wrote to them months ago about the system and was told in a reply that they would be monitoring it and more or less playing it by ear.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#99 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Gareth Walker in the RLE was making out that the story was about Paul Wood playing but I don't think many people were bothered about him playing as sometime or other it was going to happen at one club or another under this system, with players coming back from injury, etc.

No mention in his article about how young lads who signed 3 year contracts in October can be "signed" by Swinton in late January on 12 month contracts!!! What happened to the SL contracts? What conditions are attached to the Swinton contracts? Are these not just loan agreements under the guise of being official signings to get round the dual registration and loan systems?

The RFL is at fault here though because they allowed this process to be introduced without much thought as to how it would or should be run and before rules had been properly thought out to govern it. I wrote to them months ago about the system and was told in a reply that they would be monitoring it and more or less playing it by ear.

I wouldn't be too worried to be honest Keith. I think we saw yesterday through out the league that the DR system isn't going to make much difference to league really. The teams with the least DR players in their squads won so that says it all for me really. Oh by the way congrats on your first win in the champ and an away win too well done guys.

Edited by thundergaz, 04 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#100 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I think you are mixing up 'contract' with 'registration' Keith. A player may be contracted to a club just like you would be contracted in any employment, but the question is have these players been registered with the RFL as Swinton or Warrington players?
A professional club can offer anybody they like an employment contract. Town could employ Sam Tomkins today and give him a 12 month contract, but we wouldn't be able to register him with the RFL as our player as Wigan have already done that.
In this case I suspect that's all that has happened. Warrington haven't registered the players but will still continue to pay them as I'm sure they will still be training with Warrington on a full time basis, and Swinton will give them a contract for minimum wage and 16 hours, plus any winning pay.
If these players are with Swinton for the full season then I have no problem with it, as it should aid the players development playing at a higher standard on a weekly basis, and help bring some stability to the Swinton club. It's the weekly DR signings I have a problem with, as they don't help anybody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users