RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town v Swinton

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Playing cameos to get players fit does not help the development of the club one bit.
Apparently Wood looked a little dis-interested at times yesterday - he's been at Warringotn all his life, so he may be feeling a bit low himself about it all. Again that does not help Swinton.

All the players (bar one) that Swinton suddenly 'signed' are still listed on Warringtons website as part of the first team squad.
Did Swinton pay a transfer fee for them? Can the now sell them on elsewhere and fund Agecroft?

As for employment law - the salary cap probably wouldn't pass that test but we are happy to go along with it. The salary cap is an RFL regulation backed by a gentlemens agreement only.
Warrington must be paying some of their wages as there would be no way that Swinton could stay under the cap and then also add DR's wages to their salaries level.
This arrangement is hugely way off the mark.

#102 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Gareth Walker in the RLE was making out that the story was about Paul Wood

Well versed in the art of spin doctoring? Or just thick? I'll take the latter

#103 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Glad Declan did ok for your team on the wing.I know not his postion but good did a job.Well done for the win and best of luck for the season.My second team now is Workington.

#104 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Glad Declan did ok for your team on the wing.I know not his postion but good did a job.Well done for the win and best of luck for the season.My second team now is Workington.

I wonder why your 2nd team is now Workington?
Now let me think about that one that's a toughie not πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Edited by thundergaz, 04 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#105 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Now let me think about that one that's a toughie not ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„

Now let me think about that one that's a toughie not ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„

You have a lot to say for yourself Thundergaz, seems you comment on almost every championship club. Are you so bored with Fev.

#106 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

You have a lot to say for yourself Thundergaz, seems you comment on almost every championship club. Are you so bored with Fev.

Nah just don't like Warrington reserves and I'm over the moon you got a tonking yesterday πŸ˜„πŸ˜„. But to answer your question I like to talk about RL and integrate with other sets of fans is that a problem for you to understand? My comment about the Workington being his 2nd team was a bit of banter but I guess you wouldn't understand what banter is.

Edited by thundergaz, 04 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#107 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

DttRR, you are more up on employment laws, etc, than I am so can a player have contracts at two clubs? I am struggling with young lads signing 3 year contracts with Warrington a couple of months ago and now being told that they are now Swinton players for 12 months. I appreciate what you say about conract and registration, but surely one follows the other in this instance. If not what is there to stop say Barrow approaching Ryan Shaw and asking him to go back to playing for Barrow? If he doesn't have a contract at Swinton, surely that is permissable?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#108 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Now let me think about that one that's a toughie not πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Thankyou for the sarcasm.lol.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 04 February 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#109 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Nah just don't like Warrington reserves and I'm over the moon you got a tonking yesterday ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„. But to answer your question I like to talk about RL and integrate with other sets of fans is that a problem for you to understand? My comment about the Workington being his 2nd team was a bit of banter but I guess you wouldn't understand what banter is.

14- 10 a tonking oh ok.

#110 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

14- 10 a tonking oh ok.

The score line might not suggest a tonking but a newly promoted team beating wire reserves at home. I call that a tonking myself.Just think if they had played swinton lions they would of got 50 πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Edited by thundergaz, 04 February 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#111 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

DttRR, you are more up on employment laws, etc, than I am so can a player have contracts at two clubs? I am struggling with young lads signing 3 year contracts with Warrington a couple of months ago and now being told that they are now Swinton players for 12 months. I appreciate what you say about conract and registration, but surely one follows the other in this instance. If not what is there to stop say Barrow approaching Ryan Shaw and asking him to go back to playing for Barrow? If he doesn't have a contract at Swinton, surely that is permissable?

All depends how the contracted is worded Keith, a rugby league playing contract of employment is no different to any other type of contract of employment, don't forget the bulk of these players have full time jobs elsewhere and will be contracted employees, so their rugby contract is secondary employment. As far as I know there are no restrictions on the number of jobs someone can have.

in the case of these players, the only restriction which stops them playing is their registration as a player for a particular team with the RFL, which is how Swinton have got round it. Don't be surprised if other clubs take advantage of this as well.

Coming back to your point of having a contract with Warrington and Swinton. This is perfectly legal, but I'm pretty certain the players would not have been able to sign the contract with Swinton without the permission of their parent club Warrington and with stringent conditions attached

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's, 04 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#112 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks DttRR, I understand that. It still points in the direction of somebody working the system with this and as you say wait for the rush now from SL clubs wanting to give "their" players game time by this method.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#113 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think these rules still are in force, but who can tell with the RL.

C1:2 REGISTRATION & TRANSFER OF PLAYERS

PLAYERS TO BE REGISTERED TO PLAY OR TRAIN

C1:2:1 A Club shall not allow a Player to take part in any Club training or conditioning programme

or to play for it in a Match, unless that Player is on its Club Register or unless the Club and

Player are party to a Dual Registration arrangement.

Does this mean that the DR players at Swinton can train full-time with Warrington but the six who signed 1 year contracts with Swinton can’t?

Edited by Supporter, 04 February 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#114 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I dont think anyone is questioning the legality of the set up, more the moral bending of the rules.

#115 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

DTTRR it would be a boring forum if we all agreed mate. While Swinton and may not be doing anything illegal by having 9 or however many players signed or loaned I still think its morally wrong, and while we can spout on here the rights and wrongs its the Swinton fans that I think they have the moral responsibility to. That's why I said I'd have trouble following Town if we were essentially the Widnes 'b' team. I think the 5 maximum is one too many for any team in a link up. But everyone will have a different opinion on this as its such a poorly thought out system.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#116 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Back to yesterday's game, we were very good from 1-17, seemed to tidy up our discipline second half and stopped with the daft penalties. Our defence was quality, carters hit when their fb spilled the ball was a bone cruncher.

Last seasons biggest disappointments in luppy and calders had big games yesterday, Adam walne is a beast, hope he doesn't get banned, but why wasn't Watson spoken too aswell.

#117 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Says in N&S there were 100 of us at the game :o well if thats the case, I would put the attendance at around the 250 mark. Nearly half the crowd seemed to be Townies......Must have had my beer goggles on. :rolleyes:

#118 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Says in N&S there were 100 of us at the game :o well if thats the case, I would put the attendance at around the 250 mark. Nearly half the crowd seemed to be Townies......Must have had my beer goggles on. :rolleyes:

The official gate was 601, at the end when the crowd stayed to cheer Town I would have estimated 200 plus! It's possible some of the Swinton crowd changed clubs after Town's great display!

Edited by Supporter, 04 February 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#119 TownTownTown

TownTownTown
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Supporter - you might be right..... Maybe we have got them on Duel Registration!!!

#120 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I seen a few sad faces from swinton when we were singing in the toilets and all the way to the buses and cars! What a great day out up the town

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users