Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Todays Game

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Firstly, well done workington, exciting to watch and bags of effort.

Im not doubting the effort and commitment of our lads at all, but im afraid to say after that showing my opinion on the DR situation has changed.

We offered nothing in the way of attack, organisation or decision making, which is a fairly common problem at the start of a season. However, I cant see any improvements coming, due to our current set up. If we have different players every week then there is quite simply never going to be any cohesion within the squad. We already know what the players we have re-signed are capable of, which was 3rd from bottom in the league. With no real improvement in any of the signings and different DR players coming in and out of the squad every week, coupled with a more difficult league with harder away games, Im afraid I can see nothing but a poor season coming from us.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#2 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I wondered what happened to mills, holland both played in the friendlies ?

#3 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

As I understand it we have now registered the entire Warrington squad on DR.Definitely will not be attending another game while this ridiculous system is in place.

#4 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Earlier in the week I felt confident of a reasonably comfortable Lions win. That changed the minute the squad list was announced and it became clear the extent to which the "powers-that-be" want to turn Swinton Lions into nothing more than a Warrington reserve side. In the end a defeat was no surprise.

It was a good thing I stayed away. Frustration at the whole situation may have got the better of me if I had been there to witness it.

Wearing a Swinton Lions shirt is now officially second prize for players whose main focus is another club. Should it be a surprise if they are disjointed and lack team spirit?

The main reason for putting a comment down is to make a plea to fellow supporters: Please cut Steve McCormack some slack. The guy has been placed into an impossible position. This is absolutely no way to build a team.

For me its a new low point in the history of the club today.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#5 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Earlier in the week I felt confident of a reasonably comfortable Lions win. That changed the minute the squad list was announced and it became clear the extent to which the "powers-that-be" want to turn Swinton Lions into nothing more than a Warrington reserve side. In the end a defeat was no surprise.

It was a good thing I stayed away. Frustration at the whole situation may have got the better of me if I had been there to witness it.

Wearing a Swinton Lions shirt is now officially second prize for players whose main focus is another club. Should it be a surprise if they are disjointed and lack team spirit?

The main reason for putting a comment down is to make a plea to fellow supporters: Please cut Steve McCormack some slack. The guy has been placed into an impossible position. This is absolutely no way to build a team.

For me its a new low point in the history of the club today.

he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#6 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

The one thing we definitely had was commitment and effort so that doesn't bear out
What we lacked was cohesion penetration and any idea
Town were outstanding

#7 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I wonder how many we're praying for us to lose today...urn.. I really enjoyed the game. Smith was outstanding when on the field and we looked dangerous when he was on.bags of effort and sure things will improve..travelled a long way with my kids and father but worth the money as always. Crowd 601 which was disappointing as Town brought plenty.mentipn of Agecroft in the programme..onwards and upwards

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

The one thing we definitely had was commitment and effort so that doesn't bear out
What we lacked was cohesion penetration and any idea
Town were outstanding

Thanks for that comment mark. We have a good squad with a mix of experience and youth and we only need dual registered players when we are short. Today we were short of a winger and we got offered young Hulme (a centre) from Widnes to fill the gap. In my mind that is how the system should work but we will have to see how it works out over the season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

We didn't offer a great deal in attack but Town coped with it well. Two average teams, it could have gone either way really. Well played Town, a big 3 points.

#10 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I totally agree with you 100% PhilH, as stated in my other post, our club is dying and today is the lowest we have ever been as a club.

#11 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I totally agree with you 100% PhilH, as stated in my other post, our club is dying and today is the lowest we have ever been as a club.

######

#12 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

That was an appalling performance. The line too shallow at nearly every attack, no set moves and kicking was pretty poor. The DR is character assassination, id rather us get relegated as Swinton than stay up as the psuedolions. I don't mind 2 or 3 DR's but we are as been pointed just propping up Warringtons A team and nearly fit first teamers. What is the point in having a very good player in Ballard on the wing and don't use him at. Best player for us today was easily Ainscough.

This is not negativity it's an opinion that we are ALL entitled to so less of the verbal flagellations that are always bestowed on Phil H, who in my OPINION just tells it how it is and more than entitled to!
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Has anyone ever said your not entitled to an opinion.

#14 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I wonder how many we're praying for us to lose today...urn.. I really enjoyed the game. Smith was outstanding when on the field and we looked dangerous when he was on.bags of effort and sure things will improve..travelled a long way with my kids and father but worth the money as always. Crowd 601 which was disappointing as Town brought plenty.mentipn of Agecroft in the programme..onwards and upwards

I THINK THE WHOLE OF RUGBY LEAGUE WERE WANTING YOU TO LOSE TODAY,TOWN SHOWED YOU WHAT TEAM SPIRIT IS TODAY ..
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#15 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I THINK YOUR CLUB IS FINISHED,601 ATTENDANCE ,ATLEAST 200 OF THOSE FROM WORKINGTON,AND A WARRINGTON TEAM IN SWINTON SHIRTS ,ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#16 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

That was an appalling performance. The line too shallow at nearly every attack, no set moves and kicking was pretty poor. The DR is character assassination, id rather us get relegated as Swinton than stay up as the psuedolions. I don't mind 2 or 3 DR's but we are as been pointed just propping up Warringtons A team and nearly fit first teamers. What is the point in having a very good player in Ballard on the wing and don't use him at. Best player for us today was easily Ainscough.

This is not negativity it's an opinion that we are ALL entitled to so less of the verbal flagellations that are always bestowed on Phil H, who in my OPINION just tells it how it is and more than entitled to!

Ainscough was our best player...I agree.

I agree we were flat in attack

Phil thrives on the forum dont think he needs any concern.

#17 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Ainscough was our best player...I agree.

I agree we were flat in attack

Phil thrives on the forum dont think he needs any concern.

Smithy for me Mark.

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yes smith hsd a good gsme.very noticeable when hes not on the pitch how we lose our organisation

#19 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

It seems that the Warrington players we have signed on permanent deals can still return to Warrington for a period of one month on loan obviously with the agreement of both parties.The club has also as previously mentioned dual registered the whole of the Warrington squad on Dual registration.Paul Kidd seems to think this is a massive coup and will attract new fans who will jump at the chance to see established Warrington players guesting for us.Well this strategy has lost one fan for as long as this ridiculous arrangement persists.I just hope that none of the other Championship clubs take the route we have ,it will make a mockery of the game below Super League and damage the integrity of the competition.

#20 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

To summarise, I think there is quite a clear problem when all you have to do to win a game is score one try, and you have absolutely zero confidence that the team can do that.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users