Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RIP SWINTON LIONS

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

The club as we all knew it has died, rip swinton lions, i hope whomever thought of dr in its current guise is happy and cansleep at night.

#2 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

i am delighted that we beat warrington today,good luck Swinton for the rest of the season.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

The club as we all knew it has died, rip swinton lions, i hope whomever thought of dr in its current guise is happy and cansleep at night.

The Rugby League of course.!!!

#4 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

i am delighted that we beat warrington today,good luck Swinton for the rest of the season.

I am delighted that Widnes scored one of your tries, well done overall you deserved the win and good luck for the rest of the season also.

#5 wiremadmike

wiremadmike
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hope you dont mind a Wire fan chipping in on your forum but would just like to add a few thoughts.I logged in to see how you went on so first sorry you lost.
I agree with all the comments re DR but as i have seen somewhere else on here the RFL changed the rules including scrapping the under 20 comp which allowed overage players.By doing this they risk losing good quality players at an age when some are really just starting to develope and are on the edge of big things.
Whilst saying again i dont agree with system its here so why not embrace it,at least till it gets changed again!
I understand the feelings towards your own club,but that seems to be 500/600 of you watching the league whipping boys,your description not mind
,Would you not relish the chance of being,in theory,able to name in some games Briers,Morley ,Hodgson!Even if coming back from an injury you would get 100% and just think what your advertising people should be able to do to get extra people through the doors,increase income,and perhaps help you get back to your own ground!
Right or Wrong DR is here lets embrace it and look for mutual benefits and I am also sure with the lads you have got the results will come.
Good luck for the season!!!

#6 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

As a Swinton fan I can honestly say no, we would not relish that opportunity.

Firstly, not knowing which players you are going to put out each week isnt a nice thought. There is no sense of having your own team.

Secondly, I am not 100% against the DR system, just the way it is being used this year. Last year, we used it well, using such players as Glenn Riley and Carl Forster to our advantage. They were never 'our' players, but they were in our squad most weeks and so were as good as our players. As it stands I have no idea which players will be played next week.

Further to this, how are certain players supposed to develop any kind of run of form. We have our own players i.e. Holland and Mills who are getting left out of the 17 just because Paul Wood is coming back from injury and probably wont play for us again. This is stopping development of our players, the gelling of our squad and no doubt hurting morale.

Yesterday you could visibly see our 'proper' players trying to pull the usual tricks we do to score tries, to no avail due to the clueless DR's. This is something that usually would improve over the course of a few games, but the chance of the same DR's playing again next week is unlikely, and so will this improve at all over the season? I doubt it.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#7 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I cannot bring myself to be upset about Mills being left out. you can count on one finger the amount of good games he's had for us.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#8 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#9 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

The Swinton Lions deserve better than this shambles and so do their loyal fans, it isnt at all difficult to see clearly that there has been a distinct and brazen determination to exploit the DR for all it is worth....proving yet again that RL like the Banking system have no interest in self regulation and fair play.
"We broke no rules!" thats what the MP`s said with their expenses!

#10 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

i

The Swinton Lions deserve better than this shambles and so do their loyal fans, it isnt at all difficult to see clearly that there has been a distinct and brazen determination to exploit the DR for all it is worth....proving yet again that RL like the Banking system have no interest in self regulation and fair play.
"We broke no rules!" thats what the MP`s said with their expenses!

it's all slowly but surely alienating the fans rfl and jk/pk take note before it's too late.

#11 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I am trying hard to refrain from expletives but for ##### sake!
I have read an awful lot of opinion on here over the last few month so here is mine.

I'm not happy!

I don't like the rules as they stand. I would love it if we could sign names like Thackray, Dowes etc to use Town as an example, and watch them at a stadium in Swinton but we can't.
Why? Not because of the d/r rules as they stand, not because we don't have a committee with bottomless pockets, not because we have a council who mindless support us etc etc.
The reason is simply US!!!!!!!
Well not exactly us, but the so called Swinton supporters who sit on their arses bellowing that they will never come to watch the club again because.......blah blah blah!
601 fans is shocking for a season opener, truly shocking.
I didn't sit at home moaning when we went to Bury, or Moor Ln either. For anyone's info yesterday morning at 7.30am I was sat in an airport in ICELAND praying that my flight to Glasgow was on time and there were no holdups on the doorway driving back. I got to LSV with a few minutes to spare, still with my luggage, to watch a match in which MY TEAM were playing!
No, they were not recognised names to me (and that's happened a few times on opening day)but they were in the same shirts, under the same name, that so many giants have played in before my time and during. It is up to US whether this club remains, not the RFL, nor opposition fans who may be singing a different tune later in the season.

No it's down to us to turn out, in force, to save this club and even this season. Sit at home bitching about where we are and who we play and soon you will have nothing to ##### about and you'll have to be content with watching Super League on TV as you won't be able to afford to go. Either that or watch the other code or football!

SWINTON 'TILL IT! OR I DIE!!!!!!!!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#12 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I have read an awful lot of opinion on here over the last few month so here is mine.

I'm not happy!

I don't like the rules as they stand. I would love it if we could sign names like Thackray, Dowes etc to use Town as an example, and watch them at a stadium in Swinton but we can't.
Why? Not because of the d/r rules as they stand, not because we don't have a committee with bottomless pockets, not because we have a council who mindless support us etc etc.
Well not exactly us, but the so called Swinton supporters who sit on their arses bellowing that they will never come to watch the club again because.......blah blah blah!
I didn't sit at home moaning when we went to Bury, or Moor Ln either. For anyone's info yesterday morning at 7.30am I was sat in an airport in ICELAND praying that my flight to Glasgow was on time and there were no holdups on the doorway driving back. I got to LSV with a few minutes to spare, still with my luggage, to watch a match in which MY TEAM were playing!
No, they were not recognised names to me (and that's happened a few times on opening day)but they were in the same shirts, under the same name, that so many giants have played in before my time and during. It is up to US whether this club remains, not the RFL, nor opposition fans who may be singing a different tune later in the season.

No it's down to us to turn out, in force, to save this club and even this season. Sit at home bitching about where we are and who we play and soon you will have nothing to ##### about and you'll have to be content with watching Super League on TV as you won't be able to afford to go. Either that or watch the other code or football!

hear hear. at last some common sense.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#13 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm not happy!

Agree completely.

#14 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yawn

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#15 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I'm not happy!

Amazing someone else seeing sense just like the few (and i mean few) of us

#16 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm not happy!

Tremendous quote and one I agree with wholeheartedly. Spoken from the heart and very well put. Passions are high at moment but we all want the same thing. Lets continue to support Steve and the side and give them our full backing
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#17 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yeah its well said. Perhaps we should start a bring a friend to the match campaign ourselves?
Not turning up isnt an option for me.

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yeah its well said. Perhaps we should start a bring a friend to the match campaign ourselves?
Not turning up isnt an option for me.

As a Town fan I agree with you mark. It is the system that allows this sort of thing to happen that is wrong so if anyone has any problems or worries about it then let the people who brought it in know. To stop going to matches and supporting your team isn't the answer. Get yourselves there and let the people in charge know what you think about it. Sitting back and letting things get worse isn't an option really.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I personally wouldn't say rip swinton, more RIP RL outside sl

Edited by bigtony, 04 February 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#20 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

I think the system in itself is ok. I think the furore has got a little bit out of hand to be honest Keith. I think its got to be remembered that these young lads are just that. Our starting prop Jack Morrison is 18. If anyone thinks that is gaining an unfair advantage then Im mystified. No disrespect to Jack there because he is a great player and probably made most yards for us yesterday.
I think perspective has to be re assessed by the fors and the againsts,but possibly the inclusion of Wood and McCarthy isnt a good thing when we have our own good lads in Holland and Clarke(Im loathe to say Mills.)

What I really care about is MY club in a way that Loyal lion says. I find it hard to be judgemental in this instance because I hate opinions based on ignorance.
Ive said all along I dont know how it will pan out but Im prepared to give it a go.
A season with a helping hand is not too much to ask for a club who have suffered MORE than any. It may just be the catalyst we need for a return home and a long future.
I find the venom of hatred directed in some posts on here is very much against the grain for the alleged Rugby League FAMILY.
I also hate the phrase "saying it as it is" which is attributed to one of our own fans ability to rub everyone up the wrong way. My experience of saying it as it is remains and always will be being rude thoughtless and proffering opinion as fact.
The constant grind rubs off and it can be seen by some of the sentiment on here...it rubs off and escalates to a point where every single obstacle is fatal instead of my outlook that NO problem is insurmountable....a phrase the best supervisor I ever had taught me twenty years ago.

To those that choose to stay away whilst I appreciate their right to that option I would urge them to attend.
Voice your opinion to those who MADE THE DECISIONS-IE THE RFL,if you really feel the need.

But leave us fans who are hurt and offended by the abuse to get on with getting our club back where it belongs.

Edited by mark richardson, 04 February 2013 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users