RIP SWINTON LIONS

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I am trying hard to refrain from expletives but for ##### sake!
I have read an awful lot of opinion on here over the last few month so here is mine.

I'm not happy!

I don't like the rules as they stand. I would love it if we could sign names like Thackray, Dowes etc to use Town as an example, and watch them at a stadium in Swinton but we can't.
Why? Not because of the d/r rules as they stand, not because we don't have a committee with bottomless pockets, not because we have a council who mindless support us etc etc.
The reason is simply US!!!!!!!
Well not exactly us, but the so called Swinton supporters who sit on their arses bellowing that they will never come to watch the club again because.......blah blah blah!
601 fans is shocking for a season opener, truly shocking.
I didn't sit at home moaning when we went to Bury, or Moor Ln either. For anyone's info yesterday morning at 7.30am I was sat in an airport in ICELAND praying that my flight to Glasgow was on time and there were no holdups on the doorway driving back. I got to LSV with a few minutes to spare, still with my luggage, to watch a match in which MY TEAM were playing!
No, they were not recognised names to me (and that's happened a few times on opening day)but they were in the same shirts, under the same name, that so many giants have played in before my time and during. It is up to US whether this club remains, not the RFL, nor opposition fans who may be singing a different tune later in the season.

No it's down to us to turn out, in force, to save this club and even this season. Sit at home bitching about where we are and who we play and soon you will have nothing to ##### about and you'll have to be content with watching Super League on TV as you won't be able to afford to go. Either that or watch the other code or football!

SWINTON 'TILL IT! OR I DIE!!!!!!!!

Good effort that fella, fair play to yer

#22 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

What's the point of staying away? It doesnt help anybody. We might only have a "hardcore" of 500, but the club has only survived this long because of that support, the supporters trust and yes, the Kidds, as much as some people on here hate to admit it (you'd also have to say Steve Mac after getting us out of CC1).

Whilst Swinton battle on as Swinton Lions and for a return to M27 get down and support them. The more people that attend games and care about the future of Swinton Lions, the harder it will ever be to scratch our name off the RL scene (If that's what you think is the intended or "inevitable" outcome of the D/R rules).

#23 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Sadly I am one who will be staying away,not to make a point or cut my nose off to spite my face its because of how I felt yesterday watching the team.It just wasn't the same,it was as though it Didnt matter,I felt nothing within my soul for what I perceived to be On the whole a Warrington reserve side.I feel as though our club has sold itself to the feeder club ethos .Therefore my attendance at games wouldn't mean anything .I cannot support something I don't believe in.I have also resigned from my post as a lottery agent so if anyone out there wants to take it on please feel free to contact the club.

Edited by duffymoon, 04 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#24 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Surely the loss of Station Road was bigger than this?

#25 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

As a Town fan visiting yesterday I am always amazed at the loyalty shown by Swinton fans in following their team wherever they set up camp. I have now seen your side at Station Rd (loved that ground), Bury, Sedgley Park, Salford and now Leigh. You are a credit to your team, your numbers may be dwindling, but I think most clubs fans would have given up the ghost long ago.

You deserve to be back in your own stadium, in your own Town, with 13 SWINTON players bursting a gut for the cause. Best of luck for the future. :)

#26 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I am trying hard to refrain from expletives but for ##### sake!
I have read an awful lot of opinion on here over the last few month so here is mine.

I'm not happy!

I don't like the rules as they stand. I would love it if we could sign names like Thackray, Dowes etc to use Town as an example, and watch them at a stadium in Swinton but we can't.
Why? Not because of the d/r rules as they stand, not because we don't have a committee with bottomless pockets, not because we have a council who mindless support us etc etc.
The reason is simply US!!!!!!!
Well not exactly us, but the so called Swinton supporters who sit on their arses bellowing that they will never come to watch the club again because.......blah blah blah!
601 fans is shocking for a season opener, truly shocking.
I didn't sit at home moaning when we went to Bury, or Moor Ln either. For anyone's info yesterday morning at 7.30am I was sat in an airport in ICELAND praying that my flight to Glasgow was on time and there were no holdups on the doorway driving back. I got to LSV with a few minutes to spare, still with my luggage, to watch a match in which MY TEAM were playing!
No, they were not recognised names to me (and that's happened a few times on opening day)but they were in the same shirts, under the same name, that so many giants have played in before my time and during. It is up to US whether this club remains, not the RFL, nor opposition fans who may be singing a different tune later in the season.

No it's down to us to turn out, in force, to save this club and even this season. Sit at home bitching about where we are and who we play and soon you will have nothing to ##### about and you'll have to be content with watching Super League on TV as you won't be able to afford to go. Either that or watch the other code or football!

SWINTON 'TILL IT! OR I DIE!!!!!!!!

Top post. Totally agree.

If you turn your back on the Club in their hour of need just don't turn back and expect to see them again in the future.....it may be too late!
Don't worry though, the true supporters will keep going, paying money into the Club, hoping that Agecroft comes off and that JK decides to keep putting time, money and effort into the Club just in case you ever decide that the Club is being run and the team being picked to your approval.

#27 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think the system in itself is ok. I think the furore has got a little bit out of hand to be honest Keith. I think its got to be remembered that these young lads are just that. Our starting prop Jack Morrison is 18. If anyone thinks that is gaining an unfair advantage then Im mystified. No disrespect to Jack there because he is a great player and probably made most yards for us yesterday.
I think perspective has to be re assessed by the fors and the againsts,but possibly the inclusion of Wood and McCarthy isnt a good thing when we have our own good lads in Holland and Clarke(Im loathe to say Mills.)

What I really care about is MY club in a way that Loyal lion says. I find it hard to be judgemental in this instance because I hate opinions based on ignorance.
Ive said all along I dont know how it will pan out but Im prepared to give it a go.
A season with a helping hand is not too much to ask for a club who have suffered MORE than any. It may just be the catalyst we need for a return home and a long future.
I find the venom of hatred directed in some posts on here is very much against the grain for the alleged Rugby League FAMILY.
I also hate the phrase "saying it as it is" which is attributed to one of our own fans ability to rub everyone up the wrong way. My experience of saying it as it is remains and always will be being rude thoughtless and proffering opinion as fact.
The constant grind rubs off and it can be seen by some of the sentiment on here...it rubs off and escalates to a point where every single obstacle is fatal instead of my outlook that NO problem is insurmountable....a phrase the best supervisor I ever had taught me twenty years ago.

To those that choose to stay away whilst I appreciate their right to that option I would urge them to attend.
Voice your opinion to those who MADE THE DECISIONS-IE THE RFL,if you really feel the need.

But leave us fans who are hurt and offended by the abuse to get on with getting our club back where it belongs.

Another person who talks sense! Well put Mark.

#28 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Top post. Totally agree.

If you turn your back on the Club in their hour of need just don't turn back and expect to see them again in the future.....it may be too late!
Don't worry though, the true supporters will keep going, paying money into the Club, hoping that Agecroft comes off and that JK decides to keep putting time, money and effort into the Club just in case you ever decide that the Club is being run and the team being picked to your approval.

. That's fair comment Paul ,at the moment I'm still coming to terms at how I feel about this.Maybe it's the game I've fallen out of love with I don't know.As stated I felt nothing for the team that played yesterday because I perceived it to a virtual Warrington reserve side.

#29 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

At the end of the day nobody is right or wrong here. Those who feel strongly will take the necessary course of action they choose and that can't be disagreed with. Similarly neither can those who coose to continue to watch the boys.
Players come and players go either in a year or some longer what remains constant is the shirt and the club to whom it belongs.
The question has to be asked that if we had signed six players on contracts for twelve months from six seperate clubs would it have created the same issues for everyone, the fact we have six from one particular club seems to have created the issues.

#30 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Also fair comment Alan but the famous blue shirt with the rampant Lion that so many greats have worn over the years is now being worn by players who ultimately have allegiance to another club namely Warrington Wolves.

#31 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree duffymoon. I could not connect with that many new faces from last year. Yes i know it should come back but not if we accept too much Warrington influence. The only way i can accept is it planning permission goes in this year and its just a clever cost cutting mechanism. Surely now the council have been paid by Koukash that should free up funds for us!
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

I thought the Championship last season was a fantastic competition and every game particularly at the LSV was both entertaining and exciting in equal measure.I really fear now for the game outside Super League if every club seeks to overload it's playing personnel with players from the partner club particularly established Super League athletes whose inclusion will damage the credibility of the competition.Maybe I like Shizonay could accept it had we been informed it was a financial necessity to facilitate further progress on Agecroft.I am greatly concerned that those running the club perceive the current strategy to be the way forward for both Swinton Lions and Rugby League in general which in my view would damage our identity as much as our nomadic existence for the last twenty years has.

#33 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

So basically if the club announce planning permission , then you are prepared to go back watching as the means then justify the ends.

Fair enough because if these measure do result in Agecroft being built then I for one would be more than happy.

#34 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

The Rugby League of course.!!!

The RFL are guilty of much that is wrong with the game these days. It began in earnest when they, along with many club chairmen, sold their souls to the media barons (Sky TV etc) who have since been pulling the strings Aussie style to the wholesale detriment of our once glorious British game. We all know money plays a huge part in most sports today, but the sporting side of the deal has been sidelined and almost totally marginalised to such an extent that it’s often just a case of watching 26 young men running around a rugby field wearing jersey which are little more than miniature advertising billboards whilst at the same time we’re all kidding ourselves this is really what sport’s all about in the 21st century.

#35 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Aussie rugby is awesome
From what I see their game is far more watchable than ours
What we have done wrong is being ten years behind them for the last fifty.
I saw 34 fantastic athletes run their blood to water on Sunday. What neither team possessed was a talented ball player. The best of these can be seen at 6 7 9 and 13 in every NFL team

Its our complete and utter failure to properly put any of what the aussies do into practice that is our failure

Its no wonder because as a nation all change all progress and any ability to put ourselves in someone elses shoes seems impossible.

Ive just seen a quote from winston churchill
Success is not final. Failure is not fatal..it is the courage to continue that is important.

Or maybe I'm just going mad?

#36 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

We'll never catch the convicts up as its their national game. we need to send young lads over there to develop their game from say 14 years old. get them playing alongside the future stars from oz. we can compete with them at school age. but its the development thats lacking.

once they are developed bring them home.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#37 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

I saw 34 fantastic athletes run their blood to water on Sunday.

"Athletes". Yes, athletes, that's the trouble, the game used to be about rugby league "FOOTBALLERS". Now most of them are simply very fit and muscularly toned athletes who haven't a clue how play rugby league FOOTBALL - if you get my meaning.

These athletes just don't know how to SIDE STEP (e.g. Ken Gowers, Derek Whitehead), SWERVE or rip through defences with a sudden change of pace or a quick burst of acceleration (e.g. Alan Buckley, Graham Williams). They're just like robots - haven't got half a brain between them.

#38 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

Thats very much what I meant but I reckon some of our guys are pretty bright.

#39 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

"Athletes". Yes, athletes, that's the trouble, the game used to be about rugby league "FOOTBALLERS". Now most of them are simply very fit and muscularly toned athletes who haven't a clue how play rugby league FOOTBALL - if you get my meaning.

These athletes just don't know how to SIDE STEP (e.g. Ken Gowers, Derek Whitehead), SWERVE or rip through defences with a sudden change of pace or a quick burst of acceleration (e.g. Alan Buckley, Graham Williams). They're just like robots - haven't got half a brain between them.

Ive been saying this about SL for the past few years, its what the NRL used to be like, and still is to a point. Its all about fitness, power and aggression now. The skill factor has slowly been diluted to what we now have, a battle of the big lads interjected with a very rare piece of magic from the more skillful players, but it is very rare. I still enjoy it for the battle it is, I still enjpy watching it with awe at just how hard these lads hit each other, how fast and dazzling the game is. Its just a different enjoyment to what it used to be.

#40 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

The Lions had 12 new faces in their 17-man line-up and coach McCormack said: “Obviously you need to play football together but having new faces in the side is no reason for last week’s defeat.

“The new faces are all good players and I would never use that as an excuse – that we are not gelling and we need more time – but obviously as the season goes on we’ll get better.”

McCormack hopes the three dual-reg players from Warrington – Paul Wood, James Laithwaite and Tyrone McCarthy – will be available this week.

“They have all been great in the dressing room,” he said.

“Paul Wood trained with us all last week and his attitude was first class along with Tyrone McCarthy and James Laithwaite.

“It was their first taste of Championship rugby against Workington and they went away realising just how difficult this division is.

“Their effort was superb and if we get them back I am sure they will improve individually and they will make an even bigger impact on the team.”

Does that sound like the words of a coach who doesn't buy into this concept.

If it's good enough for Steve McCormack then it's good enough for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users