Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RIP SWINTON LIONS

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#61 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

I always wondered how they seemed to be stronger and bigger now we know why.

#62 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Sounds like mr smith is calling the shots now ,from what I heard today the Swindon players are not a happy bunch,some of your better players may be getting dropped to the bench for Sundays game to make room for more players coming in.this doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.
If this carries on all championship clubs will follow suit,creating a sl a team league,just as the Rfl planned.thus all players dropping Down a tier, in there thinking strengthening each tier .

#63 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

If the rfl read this forum, I hope you are happy the dr system you have implemented will slowly but surely kill off the lower league club's, ask yourselves why would people want to watch a team of sl fringe players masquarading as swinton etc with no hope of getting sl status due to the closed shop sl is, and to add insult to injury when sl teams break financial rules that the rfl put in place it gets swept under the carpet, look at the licenses that were awarded WHAT A JOKE :wacko: :lol: .

#64 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Swindon players may well be unhappy but I don't support Swindon.
Talking last night with one member of the coaching staff and moral in the Swinton camp is good, they were very disappointed to loose on Sunday.
Unless your a player with a gripe, why come on here muck stirring.

#65 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think the system in itself is ok. I think the furore has got a little bit out of hand to be honest Keith. I think its got to be remembered that these young lads are just that. Our starting prop Jack Morrison is 18. If anyone thinks that is gaining an unfair advantage then Im mystified. No disrespect to Jack there because he is a great player and probably made most yards for us yesterday.
I think perspective has to be re assessed by the fors and the againsts,but possibly the inclusion of Wood and McCarthy isnt a good thing when we have our own good lads in Holland and Clarke(Im loathe to say Mills.)

What I really care about is MY club in a way that Loyal lion says. I find it hard to be judgemental in this instance because I hate opinions based on ignorance.
Ive said all along I dont know how it will pan out but Im prepared to give it a go.
A season with a helping hand is not too much to ask for a club who have suffered MORE than any. It may just be the catalyst we need for a return home and a long future.
I find the venom of hatred directed in some posts on here is very much against the grain for the alleged Rugby League FAMILY.
I also hate the phrase "saying it as it is" which is attributed to one of our own fans ability to rub everyone up the wrong way. My experience of saying it as it is remains and always will be being rude thoughtless and proffering opinion as fact.
The constant grind rubs off and it can be seen by some of the sentiment on here...it rubs off and escalates to a point where every single obstacle is fatal instead of my outlook that NO problem is insurmountable....a phrase the best supervisor I ever had taught me twenty years ago.

To those that choose to stay away whilst I appreciate their right to that option I would urge them to attend.
Voice your opinion to those who MADE THE DECISIONS-IE THE RFL,if you really feel the need.

But leave us fans who are hurt and offended by the abuse to get on with getting our club back where it belongs.

I contacted the RFL about this and got a measured reply that does state the situation and aims quite clearly, I post it on here just in case it is Helpful....

FAO Mr Ralph Rimmer,

Please will you scrutinise the current Dual Registration situation as I suspect there has been unfair (and not in the spirit of the game) registrations (as players of Swinton Lions) of at least five Warrington Wolves Players, one who has only been signed on a three year contract a few months ago by Warrington Wolves, The Swinton Lions also played another Three Dual Registered players in their first game against Workington.

It would appear that the DR scenario is being ruthlessly and knowingly flaunted by clubs already and is bringing the Game (in NL) into disrepute to the dismay of many fans, (myself included).

Here is the reply

Dear Brian

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the Swinton and Warrington partnership however all activity, which has been fully disclosed by the clubs to, is within the current regulations. As with all regulations the RFL will monitor, review and, if necessary, adapt things moving forward. With the RFL concentrating on four strands of the sport i.e. international, full time, semi-professional and community, a constant consideration is how a change to one will affect the other. At all times we wish to find the right balance on these matters and clearly want to have thriving clubs and competitions.

Picking up on your specific point I can confirm six Warrington players have recently transferred to Swinton, all of whom were ineligible to play in this season’s U19s competition due to being in the U21 and U20 age categories. Having taken the view point they were not going to play many, if any, games in the first team in 2013 all six players have agreed to the transfer arrangements and their new employment contract with Swinton Lions RLFC. These players are now not registered or contracted with Warrington Wolves and therefore do not count towards the regulation regarding only allowing 5 loan and/or dual registered players in any matchday 17.

The 6 players in question are:
· J Morrison
· J Mendeika
· J Burke
· R Shaw
· G Ormsby
· G Riley

I can confirm none of these players had a contract with Warrington until the end of 2015, as annual extension clauses which are in favour of the club do not guarantee the player employment. Using an example, if the contract is for 1 year with annual options in the clubs favour to extend this on an annual basis for a further 2 years; it could be viewed as a 3 year deal when it is actually a 1 year deal with 2 years of options. Many contracts for young players are put in this way and if the player in the example contract was underperforming then it would be likely the club would not take up the option and player would be without a contract after 12 months.

The players permission is essential in all of this and shouldn’t be forgotten. Even if a club wants a player (back or otherwise) it is still the decision of the player to sign the playing contract put forward. With this in mind, even if Warrington wanted to resign one of these players at the end of the Swinton contract, the player is free to refuse this and sign with another club.

11 of the 13 British Super League clubs have a formal partnership with 14 clubs in the Championships in 2013. Having a good majority of clubs involved in such partnership arrangements shows the regulation is meeting a need within the clubs, both Super League and Championships. If there to be any regulation changes in the sport these will be made at the end of 2013.

I hope this response helps in some way and I will ensure my colleague Ralph Rimmer is across this correspondence.

Kind Regards

Chris Thair
Salary Cap and Licencing Manager

#66 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I contacted the RFL about this and got a measured reply that does state the situation and aims quite clearly, I post it on here just in case it is Helpful....

FAO Mr Ralph Rimmer,

Please will you scrutinise the current Dual Registration situation as I suspect there has been unfair (and not in the spirit of the game) registrations (as players of Swinton Lions) of at least five Warrington Wolves Players, one who has only been signed on a three year contract a few months ago by Warrington Wolves, The Swinton Lions also played another Three Dual Registered players in their first game against Workington.

It would appear that the DR scenario is being ruthlessly and knowingly flaunted by clubs already and is bringing the Game (in NL) into disrepute to the dismay of many fans, (myself included).

Here is the reply

Dear Brian

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the Swinton and Warrington partnership however all activity, which has been fully disclosed by the clubs to, is within the current regulations. As with all regulations the RFL will monitor, review and, if necessary, adapt things moving forward. With the RFL concentrating on four strands of the sport i.e. international, full time, semi-professional and community, a constant consideration is how a change to one will affect the other. At all times we wish to find the right balance on these matters and clearly want to have thriving clubs and competitions.

Picking up on your specific point I can confirm six Warrington players have recently transferred to Swinton, all of whom were ineligible to play in this season’s U19s competition due to being in the U21 and U20 age categories. Having taken the view point they were not going to play many, if any, games in the first team in 2013 all six players have agreed to the transfer arrangements and their new employment contract with Swinton Lions RLFC. These players are now not registered or contracted with Warrington Wolves and therefore do not count towards the regulation regarding only allowing 5 loan and/or dual registered players in any matchday 17.

The 6 players in question are:
· J Morrison
· J Mendeika
· J Burke
· R Shaw
· G Ormsby
· G Riley

I can confirm none of these players had a contract with Warrington until the end of 2015, as annual extension clauses which are in favour of the club do not guarantee the player employment. Using an example, if the contract is for 1 year with annual options in the clubs favour to extend this on an annual basis for a further 2 years; it could be viewed as a 3 year deal when it is actually a 1 year deal with 2 years of options. Many contracts for young players are put in this way and if the player in the example contract was underperforming then it would be likely the club would not take up the option and player would be without a contract after 12 months.

The players permission is essential in all of this and shouldn’t be forgotten. Even if a club wants a player (back or otherwise) it is still the decision of the player to sign the playing contract put forward. With this in mind, even if Warrington wanted to resign one of these players at the end of the Swinton contract, the player is free to refuse this and sign with another club.

11 of the 13 British Super League clubs have a formal partnership with 14 clubs in the Championships in 2013. Having a good majority of clubs involved in such partnership arrangements shows the regulation is meeting a need within the clubs, both Super League and Championships. If there to be any regulation changes in the sport these will be made at the end of 2013.

I hope this response helps in some way and I will ensure my colleague Ralph Rimmer is across this correspondence.

Kind Regards

Chris Thair
Salary Cap and Licencing Manager

An excellent reply to your enquiry and one which pretty much removes any concerns I had about swinton's actions in signing the 6 players concerned.

Thank you for posting the response you received and lets hope we can now get back to the season at hand and of course supporting Swinton Lions.

#67 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Dont know what to make of it to be honest
It exonerate s swinton of wrong doing in any way

Is it an apology "Brian" to our board?

#68 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Surely this official explanation closes the discussions on these 6 lads joining us and hopefully end adverse comments about our clubs behaviour in this matter - whether you agree with the DR system is a wider subject.

#69 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

You would like to think so but some how I don't think it will pacify some.

#70 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes It is an apology mark, Im sorry I misunderstood the arrangement, I unreservedly apologise, Brian.

#71 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Fair play eclecticsheep. Lets draw a line under it as a whole and get on with supporting the Lions.

RIP???? I really don't think so!!

#72 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have only just managed to see this thread due to work, I have to agree with Kozzy, I am totally gutted about the current state of affairs and yes I am moaning,so the people who say stops moaning and support your club, I do support my club and have done for the last 27 years. I am only carrying on because I am part of the early bird offer and been paying for last 7 months.

For years my mates have been saying to me come Man Utd get season ticket with them and I have said no I am a loyal swinton fan and the club I support as great pride and years of passion then I turn up sunday to watch that, to watch Warrington reserve team.

I am ashamed to be a swinton fan at this moment in time, lets look at the facts:

we are warrington's #####
no ground (being promised every month that its coming soon)
dwindling fan base
no marketing plan to move forward
laughing stock of the league

What pisses me off more is I have to listen to my dad about him seeing swinton beat Australia at station road, and i am watching warrington reserve side get smashed of workington on a minus 2 degrees sunday afternoon, and then the warrington lads ###### off back to there club without a care in the world.

rant over sorry guys I know we should be feeling positive buts that how I feel

Edited by greengrass, 08 February 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#73 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

We have just had a letter from the rlc stating that we have SIGNEDthe young d/rs on contract they are NO LONGER REGISTERED OR CONTRACTED TO WARRINGTON.Yet we still have so called fans coming on here complaning about warrington a team. Last year threequaters of the team were signed from Leigh. I didn't here any moaning about watching Leigh A. To those still moaning who went to the match last sunday it was obvious to anyone with half a brain the players had squad numbers and there names on there jerseys,you can't do that with d/r players. We played 3 d/rs on sunday and the rules say we can play 5 in the seventeen. Those young players are now Swinton players stop moaning and get out there and support them if as you say you are true Swinton fans

#74 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Really don't think I can do this forum any more, unbelievable.

Goodbye.

#75 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Really don't think I can do this forum any more, unbelievable.

Goodbye.

Ha ha.
Good bye....

Edited by mark richardson, 08 February 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#76 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Yes It is an apology mark, Im sorry I misunderstood the arrangement, I unreservedly apologise, Brian.

Im currently cheering for Wigan!
Cheers Brian

#77 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

We have just had a letter from the rlc stating that we have SIGNEDthe young d/rs on contract they are NO LONGER REGISTERED OR CONTRACTED TO WARRINGTON.Yet we still have so called fans coming on here complaning about warrington a team. Last year threequaters of the team were signed from Leigh. I didn't here any moaning about watching Leigh A. To those still moaning who went to the match last sunday it was obvious to anyone with half a brain the players had squad numbers and there names on there jerseys,you can't do that with d/r players. We played 3 d/rs on sunday and the rules say we can play 5 in the seventeen. Those young players are now Swinton players stop moaning and get out there and support them if as you say you are true Swinton fans

hear hear!
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#78 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Surely this official explanation closes the discussions on these 6 lads joining us and hopefully end adverse comments about our clubs behaviour in this matter - whether you agree with the DR system is a wider subject.

Why am I so naive??? my problem is I love Rugby League and I love Swinton Lions - I just want to get to York and support Rugby League

#79 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

So all 6 young players felt that Swinton was their best option and didn't even try to go elsewhere.......pmsl

Are you all really that stupid.

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#80 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

So all 6 young players felt that Swinton was their best option and didn't even try to go elsewhere.......pmsl

Are you all really that stupid.

you really do have a lot to say for yourself.....best kept on Leigh forum.
Every forum you go on you just muck stir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users