RIP SWINTON LIONS

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#81 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

So all 6 young players felt that Swinton was their best option and didn't even try to go elsewhere.......pmsl

Are you all really that stupid.

so is it your moral compass thats causing the problem as we have not broken any rules.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#82 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

As a long-time fan, I'm getting tired of all this negativity.
I support Swinton Lions, regardless of where the players come from. We never had 17 home grown Swinton lads at any time in my memory.
We need to move on. If this is the new face of RL, so be it. What other option do we have? Move back to RU? That would count Spelly out! :rolleyes:
Personally I don't like fake scrums and all the forward passes and play the ball issues. That's doesn't stop me from making my bi-annual pilgrimage to see them play. Again, and my point, it is what it is, so let's get on with it. The rules are the rules and we have been blessed by the RL, appear to have inherited a lot of talent along the way and just maybe out-smarted a good few of our competitors.
We should be ecstatic!

Get out and support the Lions! I'll see you all this summer.
Posted Image

#83 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

So all 6 young players felt that Swinton was their best option and didn't even try to go elsewhere.......pmsl

Are you all really that stupid.

I am not stupid - I have been watching Rugby League for nearly 60 years - ups and downs for all teams - why shouldn't these players sign for us - what is our problem - can you explain??

#84 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I am not stupid - I have been watching Rugby League for nearly 60 years - ups and downs for all teams - why shouldn't these players sign for us - what is our problem - can you explain??

I'm not having a go and I'm sorry for interrupting your debate with demon but ok these players are now swinton players I will except that but your club cannot be paying their wages because you would be exceeding the salary cap if that's the case. Also I doubt these players would terminate their contracts of say 40k plus a season each to go part time and to swinton. No offense but they could get better wages else where as you guys have stated before you are on your last legs. So to get the wages for these players would be impossible for you guys at the minute. ( like I said I'm not having a go just looking at the situation from your clubs point)

#85 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

How much money do you think a player earns?!?! Trust me apart from the top earners its nowhere near 40k especially for 19-21 year old reserves!

Posted Image

#86 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

How much money do you think a player earns?!?! Trust me apart from the top earners its nowhere near 40k especially for 19-21 year old reserves!

I was referring to the 3 year contracts they were on at wire surely that would be around the 40k mark? But like I said surely they would of looked for other options before signing for you guys? Most players look for the most money and I doubt these were any different. I just doubt whether your club is paying their wages that's all. Also I agree I could be wrong and if I am I will hold my hands up. But I'm just going off what you guys have said by saying your club is skint. If this is the case how have you signed 6 players in a week. on I'm assuming good wages? That's why I think wire are paying their wages.

Edited by thundergaz, 08 February 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#87 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

It wasn't a 3 year contract it was a one year contract with two option years. Plus by joining Swinton they get to train at wire and impress Smith at close quarters. Lets face it they are not good enough for fax or Leigh so why not join Swinton?

or is it a fact that we are an unfashionable club so we shouldn't be allowed to sign players with potential, just average journeymen?

Posted Image

#88 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

It wasn't a 3 year contract it was a one year contract with two option years. Plus by joining Swinton they get to train at wire and impress Smith at close quarters. Lets face it they are not good enough for fax or Leigh so why not join Swinton?

or is it a fact that we are an unfashionable club so we shouldn't be allowed to sign players with potential, just average journeymen?

I didn't mean it like that you are entitled to sign anyone just as any other club is. I just thought the signings were very quick that's all. They could of gone to dews, keighley etc as well. It just seems very odd that all 6 went to swinton even you have to think that's odd it's very rare 2 players from one club go to the same club within a week never mind 6. To be honest if swinton are paying their wages that's great and I'm all for giving young talent a go. I don't mind the DR system to give up and coming youngsters a kick start its when the likes of woods, Moore and luluai etc get game time Im totally against that.

#89 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I agree with only young uns being used. but on the flip side of the coin we are the nearest team to where they live. petrol isn't cheap and who wants to be driving lancs to yorkshire 4 times a week whilst earning a few 100 quid.

Posted Image

#90 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

I agree with only young uns being used. but on the flip side of the coin we are the nearest team to where they live. petrol isn't cheap and who wants to be driving lancs to yorkshire 4 times a week whilst earning a few 100 quid.

Fair point Barnie and to be honest you never know and might never know. I just hope they are your players though for the sake of your club. Because if wire are paying their wages they have an hold over you.

#91 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

I'm not having a go and I'm sorry for interrupting your debate with demon but ok these players are now swinton players I will except that but your club cannot be paying their wages because you would be exceeding the salary cap if that's the case. Also I doubt these players would terminate their contracts of say 40k plus a season each to go part time and to swinton. No offense but they could get better wages else where as you guys have stated before you are on your last legs. So to get the wages for these players would be impossible for you guys at the minute. ( like I said I'm not having a go just looking at the situation from your clubs point)

#92 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Ok so exactly where have you read we are on our last legs......go away pest.

#93 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

I didn't mean it like that you are entitled to sign anyone just as any other club is. I just thought the signings were very quick that's all. They could of gone to dews, keighley etc as well. It just seems very odd that all 6 went to swinton even you have to think that's odd it's very rare 2 players from one club go to the same club within a week never mind 6. To be honest if swinton are paying their wages that's great and I'm all for giving young talent a go. I don't mind the DR system to give up and coming youngsters a kick start its when the likes of woods, Moore and luluai etc get game time Im totally against that.

#94 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Erm no one is doubting we have a link with Wire,so why would they conceivably choose another club.

#95 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

For god's sake can everyone give the Swinton club and speccies a break ... I don't suppose for one minute that any of them find the current situation ideal but that's what they've got and all they can do is try to make the best of it ..who knows how many other clubs will find themselves in a similar situation . The important thing is that the speccies stick by the club as if they spit the dummy out and stop going ... then at best it's unlikely that the situation will change for the better and at worst will be the death knell of the club . As a supporter of Oldham I've seen us on the brink of folding on too many occasions and don't want us or anyone else to go through this again so hope the Swinton speccies keep the faith and supporters of other clubs stop taking the moral high ground and remember that we are all in this together so let's start acting like we are .

#96 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

For god's sake can everyone give the Swinton club and speccies a break ... I don't suppose for one minute that any of them find the current situation ideal but that's what they've got and all they can do is try to make the best of it ..who knows how many other clubs will find themselves in a similar situation . The important thing is that the speccies stick by the club as if they spit the dummy out and stop going ... then at best it's unlikely that the situation will change for the better and at worst will be the death knell of the club . As a supporter of Oldham I've seen us on the brink of folding on too many occasions and don't want us or anyone else to go through this again so hope the Swinton speccies keep the faith and supporters of other clubs stop taking the moral high ground and remember that we are all in this together so let's start acting like we are .

he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#97 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Great post Rufyed
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#98 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

40k a season for a 20yo up and coming junior? Are you having a Turkish?
And as for us not paying their wages, who's paying at Salford, Bradford, Widnes? Can't be the club because they're buster! They get a sugar daddy but that's ok? He goes, they fall!
Sort your head out mate!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#99 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Just to clear this up....one of the wire lads was on 4k that's four thousand. Thats off his dad. Stop making stuff up.
By the way I know an ex wigan gb international. He was on 75k as a top player
Thats out of his mouth.
Stop making stuff up!!

#100 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

I dont think any of us hsve stated we are on our last legs
And finally. ..these lads could have gone elsewhere and got more...where like leigh who signed our second top try scorer....or Sheffield who signed our third top try scorer or Halifax who signed our brightest young prospect or even Featherstone who've had it alll their own way for years.
I think I clearly see the objection now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users