Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RIP SWINTON LIONS

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#161 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

You should have bowed to Salford not Wire,that way selling the soul of the club would have been harder to justify.

We need two full time tens and let the rest partner with the SL clubs to stay alive in a dead league of their own.

RIP a once proud Swinton

What a bore. Leigh got any DR players this year? I seem to remember you having your fair share in the last two seasons. Didn't mind it then eh?

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#162 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Rip swinton lions the DR chickens have come home to roost. DR coach now what next a move to the halliwell jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21829395

#163 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Julian please explain how he is a dual reg coach.?

#164 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Julian please explain how he is a dual reg coach.?

Alan I hope you're not holding your breath for a sensible reply!

#165 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Alan I hope you're not holding your breath for a sensible reply!

Ask all the '1' Warrington fans who agree with him!

#166 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

What a bore. Leigh got any DR players this year? I seem to remember you having your fair share in the last two seasons. Didn't mind it then eh?

NO and. you really are missing the point imo. Twinning is not DR anyways. It is shortsighted and the route your club has gone down puts the whole pro game at risk and your club will not prosper because of this .and you must know that.

How can you compare DC which was intended to improve younger promising players with this Twinning route to oblivion ?

#167 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

No it is not my ideal choice for my club. Nor was selling our ground, moving out of the area or having a succession of rented grounds but that is what we have done to survive and we are still here. You are missing the point. We now have better training facilities and a squad or players. It keeps us in the game for now. To have refused them would have meant total oblivion in Champ 1! If D/R is amended next season then we will play to those rules. You are only here today because you faced your own troubles when you had to and came through them.
The whole pro game at risk? Does that include the greedy clubs who keep you out of the Super League or the greedy clubs who want everything to suit them in Championship? I didn't hear many objections when the RFL decided to bring in a third tier and pitch once noble clubs in with the likes of Oxford and Hemel (no disrespect intended to those clubs). As long as it wasn't you it's ok but would you have complained if it was the season you finished bottom of the second tier?
No, don't come to me about being short sighted!

#168 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Oh dear me. You really don't get it. This Twinning is unsustainable for your club and for Pro RL.

Your club is being used by Warrington to show up what a daft idea twinning is. Why do you think Warrington voted against it.

Seems to me you don;t relish relegation so rather than your club developing its' own players.you are prepared to condone the devalueing of the league you are currently in at the expense of ever getting better as a club in your own right.

How can being Warrington reserves ever increase your clubs fan base ?

We Leigh fans are already facing a slow lingering death as a club because of licenscing. We have 'as a sport' got to get back to a game where there is a possibility of progression. Licenscing and Twinning.has destroyed that if it they continue with this stupidity and in the long or short term it is a suicide note for pro RL...

The RFL is currently being run by morons

#169 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

You really don't get it and you're missing the point are two perfect ways to start a sentence intended to make the reader do just that.
What you mean is "why dont you agree with me im right? "

#170 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Of course Gary Chambers has 'left' Warrington.

See thread title. You are just puppets in Warringtons mission to prove how ridiculous twinning agreements are.

No delight at this from me, just very very sad.

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#171 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

If Swinton Lions are dead and gone (this thread dates from back to 3 Feb) then it is time to pay your respects, bury the corpse and move on.....

Life is for living and obsession with things gone is not healthy for you all.

Maybe Swinton should have appointed JulianCaine or Frank B as coach. As necromancers they have done a fine job of bringing a dead thread back to life, perhaps they could do the same for the corpse of Swinton RLFC

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#172 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

If Swinton Lions are dead and gone (this thread dates from back to 3 Feb) then it is time to pay your respects, bury the corpse and move on.....

Life is for living and obsession with things gone is not healthy for you all.

Maybe Swinton should have appointed JulianCaine or Frank B as coach. As necromancers they have done a fine job of bringing a dead thread back to life, perhaps they could do the same for the corpse of Swinton RLFC

"Necromancer" used in a RL thread......hats off to you mate!

#173 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

The RFL is currently being run by morons

I think that's something that will probably unite everyone on here, well those who support clubs outside SL at least......although your use of the word "currently" may only be accepted if that means the last 20 years!

#174 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm usually a defender of the RFL, but I've real doubts on dual registration. The concept has value, but in reality it isn't working. Hats off to clubs like Halifax and Fev who have turned their back on it. It's interesting to see what John Whaling, the current RFL President tweeted about Chambers' appointment last night:

John Whaling ‏@JohnWhaling
Not surprising that Swinton have picked a coach from Warrington, at least he will know the players #rugbyleague

At a community and participation level the RFL has a pretty good reputation as a governing body. It's when it comes to the professional game that there are challenges. I also think that it's wrong to point the finger at Richard Lewis, who oversaw a ten-year period of growth and stability in all areas of the game. Lewis was clearly a leader that unified the sport, and whilst he was the architect of licensing (which I am big supporter of, but recognise that it is unpopular with many), he clearly restricted the ability of clubs to do their own thing as they would do pre-2002.

The majority of blame for this lies with the clubs themselves - both Championship and Super League. Too many clubs in the Championships are poorly governed and unfortunately it leaves them vulnerable to this type of situation. Too many clubs lack ambition. Too many clubs cannot see further than being pot hunters and living with short-term goals.

It will be interesting to see if Brian Barwick, as the new RFL Chairman, can fill the leadership void that has appeared in the past couple of years, although he is only in a part-time role of several days per month. I see that Roger Draper has left the LTA. Draper, as a proven sports administrator at the highest level (former Sport England CEO, LTA boss) would be the ideal person to lead rugby league in my opinion. He is almost the obvious choice that would appease both the traditionalist and expansionist wings of the game. A proven sports leader, but hailing from a rugby league background.

Edited by Jonty, 19 March 2013 - 11:46 AM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#175 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I see that Roger Draper has left the LTA. Draper, as a proven sports administrator at the highest level (former Sport England CEO, LTA boss) would be the ideal person to lead rugby league in my opinion. He is almost the obvious choice that would appease both the traditionalist and expansionist wings of the game. A proven sports leader, but hailing from a rugby league background.

Interesting suggestion! As well as having played tennis for GB at amateur level, Roger Draper is actually a former RL professional, he played for Hull. And also....a former teammate of mine, at Loughborough University - including when we beat Wath Brow Hornets in the BARLA National Cup.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#176 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

I love it how we get trolls from other rugby league clubs coming on here and having a go at us likes its our fault. we do not run the club. the club tell us nothing. we have no say in how we approach dr, twinning, the price of tickets, what stands we sit in, the colours we play in, or our manager. we just support the club.

get over it fools.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#177 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Yes but we should have more of a say because without fans there is no club!

#178 Tess

Tess
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Yawn yawn yawn. Same old same old! I'm getting to the point that I'm beginning to think if you don't like it then stop coming!
A lot of you are nailing the lid on the coffin.......and started months ago.
Give the club a chance. Why shouldn't we do it! There aren't many in our division who aren't. I expect if we hadn't gone into the DR scenario the same people moaning now would be moaning again!
Give Chambers a chance too! Poor guy. He doesn't deserve all the abuse that's been written on here. At least give him a few games before you start!
'RIP Swinton Lions' this thread says. Get behind the coach and the team. You're not going to change anything so put up with it or go support a team that suits your views and beliefs. Thankfully there are plenty of fans that don't believe the title of this thread!!
Posted ImageScorecast Champion 2005!!

Come on You Lions!!

#179 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Chambers is a first class coach and will do Swinton proud. The only concern the supporters should have is not WHO is currently playing for them but IF they can keep hold of these players for the next two / three years. You will see a number of super league scouts at your games week in week out. Most of these youngsters are on one year deals and they are the cream of the crop ( SO TO SPEAK) don't be surprised to see a number of them snatched at the end of the season. However now Smith has someone in charge at your place to nurture his babies and make sure they are doing the same as Warrington first team week in week and getting into their ears it might not be so bad . The team will do you proud and I just hope that the team can stay together for a long period of time because if they can Fev, Halifax and the likes will better take note.

#180 Tess

Tess
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Good post!
All our best players normally go to other teams at the end of the season anyway so there'll be no change there!!! (Must calm down on the !!!!!!!)
Posted ImageScorecast Champion 2005!!

Come on You Lions!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users