RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Attendance

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Sorry to intrude as an Oldham supporter of 45 years. I think WayneG sums it up nicely. I recall meeting up with anywhere from 6 to 12 of us to go to matches. Last year it was just me so a lot of the banter and interaction with fellow supporters has gone. More surprisingly maybe I am so disillusioned with the game that I only went to 2 matches. One away in South Wales (because I was on holiday nearby) and the last home game of the season.
Sadly the coming season in the backwater of Championship div 1 is doing nothing to get me excited. For most clubs outside SL it all looks pretty bleak I reckon.

#22 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Where you gonna get the numbers from

75% of batley aint interested in rugby

5% are too old

18% cant afford

just be happy with your 2%

because in 10 years it will be in the 0. percentages.

before anybody jumps in...this aint having a go
its beyond your control that the scales are tipping

its a shane duel reg cant be done for fans

#23 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

We (Batley) need to shout about it more. I never see any posters or advertising. Letting people know when the games are on. Yes there's always something in the Batley news but more needs to be done.

I attend every game home and away. It's great value for money. It shouldn't be this hard to get numbers up.

I agree, the club need to a have visual presence at places like Tesco and the Retail outlet at Junction 27, Not just once every now and then but on a regular basis.
Get the mascot there, hand out balloons, free kids tickets & leaflets with family incentives do face painting on the kids?. These places are rammed on a Saturday and have got to be targeted.

I notice that Dewsbury have a links with Dewsbury Sports Centre.
Do Batley have the same tie up with Batley Sport & Tennis Centre or Batley Baths? Membership incentives for Kirklees Active Leisure Members?
There appears to be plenty of posters about Huddersfield Town up at Batley Sports & Tennis Centre, for a long time there was a giant cardboard cut out of the Huddersfield Town mascot inside the reception area.
Why not Batley Bulldogs?

Is there any means of getting a cardboard cut out of the mascot, promoting the up & coming fixtures at key locations?
Batley Train station is busy at peak hours with commuters to and from Leeds & Huddersfield and there’s plenty of empty notice boards in the station.
Have the club look at contacting Metro/Northern Rail to get posters of up and coming fixtures? We did once win the Northern Rail Cup!

But, it’s been said before it’s the children that need to be targeted.
Local Schools; last summer the club mascot was at Brownhill Junior School summer gala, the kids loved him.
Have the club contacted all the local schools and got a program when forthcoming school galas, Easter/Christmas fairs are happening?
Other than the holiday camps up at the Mount do the club still go in the schools or is that now funding dependant?
And again free tickets to all local junior amateur RL clubs, does this happen?
The children wards up at Dewsbury Hospital? Have the club tried down this avenue?

And to add to the exposure, the Batley News need to be there at every opportunity.

As already discussed, the club has a good product on the field, the best for some years. But a visual presence around the community is required off field.

#24 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Sorry to intrude as an Oldham supporter of 45 years. I think WayneG sums it up nicely. I recall meeting up with anywhere from 6 to 12 of us to go to matches. Last year it was just me so a lot of the banter and interaction with fellow supporters has gone. More surprisingly maybe I am so disillusioned with the game that I only went to 2 matches. One away in South Wales (because I was on holiday nearby) and the last home game of the season.
Sadly the coming season in the backwater of Championship div 1 is doing nothing to get me excited. For most clubs outside SL it all looks pretty bleak I reckon.

I still feel for the oldham and rochdale fans after their clubs have effectively been cast adrift by the RL. The depressing thing is, that you would expect the emergence of batley as a real contender in the division to have had a commensurate effect on attendances, but it hasn't - and I've no reason to believe that an upsurge in dewsbury's fortunes would have any a different outcome. Seems to me that once the fans are gone they don't come back, and I wouldn't mind betting that the same applies to the SL strugglers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users