Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Supporters Club

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 mikebooker

mikebooker
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

The rescheduled Supporters Club Special General Meeting will take place on Monday 11th February at 8.00pm in the Board Room at Mount Pleasant. Members and non-members welcome.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

This is tonight I believe at TAPS

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

It is, all welcome

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013 Relegated  2014"

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#4 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

The Bulldogs' supporters club is holding an emergency meeting on Monday 25th February.
Latest release from the supporters club:
S.O.S. - SAVE OUR SUPPORTERS CLUB AND OUR SUPPORTERS CLUB AWAY COACH!
At our recent meeting, it is clear that the present committee felt that they could not continue as things are at the moment due to lack of finance. However, rather than disband straight away it was decided to put out a plea for help and to see what interest there is in keeping the club going, hopefully with new blood and new ideas. It has therefore been decided to have an EMERGENCY MEETING to see if there is a way forward.

The meeting will take place at 8pm on Monday, 25th February at Tapps Pub (formerly the Wilton Arms), Commercial Street, Batley.
Even if you have never been a member before, PLEASE come along to show support and provide new ideas on how we can keep going.
The second issue is away club travel and whether there is sufficient interest to continue running a coach to most matches. This can be discussed at the meeting as new people have come forward with ideas to try and keep it going, but again we need to see interest.
If there is sufficient interest, a coach will run to DONCASTER on Sunday, 10th March, adults £10, and U16s £5.
To book a place, please call DAVE KING on (see next message) as soon as possible.
If this is not supported, it could be the end.

Edited by ernieone, 27 February 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#5 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

number is 07824107632
union whats that?

#6 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Couldnt make the meeting - what was the outcome and what was decided?
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#7 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

A new committee was formed so will continue

#8 doggystyle

doggystyle
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Buford, there is a follow up meeting at the taproom on 11th March at 8.30. Meetings will be held fortnightly from then on. Hope to be discussing the success of the Doncaster trip in this meeting.

#9 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Could I ask, would it be possible to have a presence for the Suppporters club on here? I was really worried when I heard that it was in danger of folding as it was very much a central part of my early childhood supporting the club, and I know has a long and interesting history. These days it seems to be over shadowed a little by BISSA, though I know that the members work incredibly hard and raise substantial sums in support of the club.

I also know that membership is cheap and reckon that it would be great if they could get more members. I genuinly understand how hard it is and it is also easy for me to say these things from over a hundred miles away, but I do see the supporters club as being a crucial part of our wider club community!

Edited by distantdog, 05 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#10 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Although I intended to go to the meeting last week I had to miss it due to working away. I have been a fan of the Bulldogs since the early 90's and also contribute to BISSA, and thought the supporters club just organised the bus to away games, which I have never had cause to use. So I was a little surprised when I read DD post above that I could become a member of the supporters club! How do I do this and what does it cost etc?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

In the 70's, when you joined, you got a brill enamal badge in the shape of a rugby ball. I used to go to all away matches on the bus, and usually sat on the back seat was a young tearaway called kevin Nicholas who only ever wore a T shirt. . . . nothing much changes there. In the book 'a ton full of memories' by Brian cartwright, they get an honourable mention and a photo. I believe, though with no basis in fact, that they are one of the two or three oldest supporters organisations within the sport.

Get an old timer to relate the time they were outlawed by the club and actually went underground in order to survive! Andy Winner's dad and grandad, both called John, were great servants and stalwarts of the supporters club.

Edited by distantdog, 05 March 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,229 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

In the 70's, when you joined, you got a brill enamal badge in the shape of a rugby ball. I used to go to all away matches on the bus, and usually sat on the back seat was a young tearaway called kevin Nicholas who only ever wore a T shirt. . . . nothing much changes there. In the book 'a ton full of memories' by Brian cartwright, they get an honourable mention and a photo. I believe, though with no basis in fact, that they are one of the two or three oldest supporters organisations within the sport.

Get an old timer to relate the time they were outlawed by the club and actually went underground in order to survive! Andy Winner's dad and grandad, both called John, were great servants and stalwarts of the supporters club.

:lol:

Listen carefully Kevin, I shall say zis only wonce.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Words of wisdom from one of the two or three oldest supporters within the sport.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#14 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Could I ask, would it be possible to have a presence for the Suppporters club on here? I was really worried when I heard that it was in danger of folding as it was very much a central part of my early childhood supporting the club, and I know has a long and interesting history. These days it seems to be over shadowed a little by BISSA, though I know that the members work incredibly hard and raise substantial sums in support of the club.

I also know that membership is cheap and reckon that it would be great if they could get more members. I genuinly understand how hard it is and it is also easy for me to say these things from over a hundred miles away, but I do see the supporters club as being a crucial part of our wider club community!

I agree.Not sure if this was covered in the last meeting as i wasnt there, but I think the main issue ive certainly noticed is a lack of communication - I joined the supporters club years ago, and have never once been chased to renew my membership, if it hadnt been for me going and phusically asking to renew it, it would never have been renewed - a lot of income will have been missed i reckon.

I remember all sorts of leaflets and stuff from the supporters club as a kid watching Batley in the 80s and 90s advertising all kinds of events and functions to raise funds, yet these days it seems limited to tannoy announcements and a bit in the local rag about the bus.

A definite presence on here wouldnt go amiss and more communication with members, maybe following BISSA's lead with regular updates on things going on on this forum, and newsletters and regular correspondence in the post to members regarding upcoming events etc.

Again, apologies if the above has already been mentioned in the previous meeting, but just thought id put my two peeneth in as i couldnt make it - Heres hoping the supporters club can rebuild and go from strength to strength in the future.

Edited by buford t justice, 08 March 2013 - 01:52 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#15 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Lets give the new committee a chance to start working, the new members of the committee will be meeting for the first time next Monday.
When they have met for a couple of times I am sure they will be open to any suggestions and perhaps one of the first posts will be a person to encourage new members.

#16 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for that John. I know from previously how hard it is, even more so on a voluntary basis. I Will certainly be joining.

#17 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Yep me too

#18 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

if u want to join call in dog house on a game day and fill in the form and pay £3
union whats that?

#19 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

if u want to join call in dog house on a game day and fill in the form and pay £3

will do at swinton game as up for that one
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#20 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I would but due to distance and economics l do not get down as often as l would want. Could l do it on Sunday?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users