RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SOS to Brian Barwick.....please help the London Broncos!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Another game for London another pitiful performance and attendance. I suggest that the new chairman of the RFL does what he can to bring in new ownership of the club utilising his vast network of contacts or gets the RFL to takeover and run the club lock, stock and barrel.
David Hughes has propped up the club over the past few years but lacks the footballing know how and in my view has made some terrible decisions at critical times when a more innovative solution was needed. From hiring Rob Powell to rehiring Tony Rea when coaches like Mick Potter and Brian Smith were available. Also returning to the tired broncos brand when a change of direction was needed for the club. At every point where the club could have reinvigorated itself the wrong choice was made and we returned to and celebrated formulas which didnt work, another season of failure beckons.

#2 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Do you ever smile?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#3 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Are we gonna get this everytime we beat someone this season......is it that humiliating?

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Are we gonna get this everytime we beat someone this season......is it that humiliating?

No, Widnes are developing into a good team, my opinions were the same before the season even kicked off.

#5 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

london will be a lot better this season don't worry.

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
And I see signs of half remembered days
I hear bells that chime in strange familiar ways
I recognise...
The hope you kindle in your eyes

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Forget what happens on the pitch for one moment and just look at the club. It's still a basketcase, and will only continue to deteriorate if nothing changes. If the RFL really does want a SL team in London then it needs to get involved before it's too late.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,360 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Agreed and from what friends in London have told me the crowd figure quoted at around 2700 was more like 2100 with 700 from Widnes that means the core Broncos fans number no-more that around 1500 max,if that is the case expect 1500 for the visits of the Dragons/Reds later on in the season.CM

The fixtures you quote attracted 1500 and 1800 last year anyway so there'll be no "shock horror"

It should be apparent by now that London are not in Superleague for their attendances.

They are in for other reasons.

As for the benefits of booting London out and replacing them with another club with awful attendances then let's go ahead.

The challenge is to name a club that will bring more to the game than London across the board.

Also take on board that when it's important for SL clubs to save £100K each on junior development they aren't going to upset Mr. Hughes who puts in what?? £1,000,000 into Superleague a year?

Let's not narrow the argument down or we'll be kicking clubs out because they have an awful shirt.

Which means Widnes out on Sunday's showing.

Edited by The Parksider, 06 February 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Forget what happens on the pitch for one moment and just look at the club. It's still a basketcase, and will only continue to deteriorate if nothing changes. If the RFL really does want a SL team in London then it needs to get involved before it's too late.

It's okay.

They've relaunched the e-zine again.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

The only way it would work is to give London a bigger slice of the Sky money, I mean an extra £1m per season, but I can't imagine the other clubs going for that. They also need some smart marketing to get people to games.

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

we need broncos because of the great strides they have made off the pitch with the academy set up, they now have a steady stream of home grown talent coming through the system, lads who would have been lost to rl without the broncos. ok their core support may be only 1500 or so but again they are fans who wouldn't have been watching rl without the broncos. forget the op the club is still growing at a steady pace................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#11 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Agreed and from what friends in London have told me the crowd figure quoted at around 2700 was more like 2100 with 700 from Widnes that means the core Broncos fans number no-more that around 1500 max,if that is the case expect 1500 for the visits of the Dragons/Reds later on in the season.CM

I counted around 2800...with 550 from Widnes in the East Stand -may have been another 150 dotted around, hard to say.

#12 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Any sport/sports team trying to get a foothold in London will only succeed with a very very large budget to spend on promotion and on players. Someting neither the Broncos or the RFL have at the moment. Things would be made easier with a synpathetic press, (though currently all there is is a pathertic press), or at least some media outlets who are prepared to push and promote the Broncos like other sports/sports teams do.

Nothing will change drasticly until one or both of these things happen.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Stephen Fry on BBC TV Breakfast this morning claimed he hasn't read a newspaper for eight years. He says he relies on Twitter for his news as it is generally factual and not tainted by the negativity of journalists. I'd have though that now was teh time for RL and particularly Broncos to embrace and promote this medium wholeheartedly.

#14 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Stephen Fry on BBC TV Breakfast this morning claimed he hasn't read a newspaper for eight years. He says he relies on Twitter for his news as it is generally factual and not tainted by the negativity of journalists. I'd have though that now was teh time for RL and particularly Broncos to embrace and promote this medium wholeheartedly.

What team does he play for?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#15 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

we need broncos because of the great strides they have made off the pitch with the academy set up, they now have a steady stream of home grown talent coming through the system, lads who would have been lost to rl without the broncos. ok their core support may be only 1500 or so but again they are fans who wouldn't have been watching rl without the broncos. forget the op the club is still growing at a steady pace................

The game generally is doing okay down here, but the club is going backwards.

I missed the game on sunday because my mrs had arranged a visit to her mum. I mean, I could have put my foot down and insisted seeing as it was the first game of the season but in the end I decided I didn't want to have that argument only to then get to the Stoop and be disappointed by the club's efforts. Glad I didn't go as it turns out because apparently they overcharged for concessions tickets, the club shop ran out of stock (on day 1!), there was no food on offer at half time, promised free tickets never materialised, the free foam hands were laid out in the away fans section, and the CEO was running around after the gates had opened stacking shelves and putting up bunting. And then the team lost.

Two or three years ago a group of Quins RL / Broncos fans on here were slaughterign the club for it performance. If anything, things have deteriorated. Honestly, if the RFL wants a team down here then they've got to get involved themselves and actually do something about it.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

What team does he play for?

the other side? :)

#17 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Money is part of the problem at London and as another poster said I would personally like to see them get a bigger share of the Sky money. Sadly Heartland clubs are to one eyed in most cases to agree to that. But Londons problems from the outside seem to be more than just the lack of money.
The biggest problem that London as well as other SL clubs face is just poor management. Changing names every so often and one that is a Historic Union club name has not helped. Playing so far away from where many amateur clubs are/have been based based like South London Storm, North London/Hemel/St.Albans etc hasnt helped them reap the rewards of working with the local amateur scene in London. A number of fans not just the starter of the thread have mentioned/complained about the lack of info coming from the club for many years and the failure of the Broncos/Quins to work with its current fan base let alone working with potential new fans.

#18 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

the other side? :)

:D

Edited by chuffer, 06 February 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,360 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Honestly, if the RFL wants a team down here then they've got to get involved themselves and actually do something about it.

Mark is doubtful of the other SL clubs supporting more help for London, but if we can go back to the end of 2011 didn't Mr. Hughes meet with the RFL and basically say he could not fund the club wholesale, and didn't the RFL make concessions in the area of the junior development which is what Viking Warrior says the RFL want most out of a professional club in London?.

At that time Mr. Hudgell was of the opinion if Mr. Hughes "walked" then London would have to be funded "centrally". Given Mr. Hughes has been reported as putting in a million a year if not more then come 2015 the RFL may indeed be faced with conceding £2M of the SKY money to London every year???

That may mean a drop back to 12 clubs in SL. HOWEVER that day has not come and this year and next is based on Mr. Hughes funding and running the first team at will because he's paying for it. I cannot see how or why the RFL would move before 2015 unless they themselves have a few million to spare?

Which they don't.

Edited by The Parksider, 06 February 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

RL and the Broncos are pretty active on twitter.

The southern RL journalists are generally positive and talk up the game unlike their northern equivalents who seem to spend their entire time watching other sports and saying things like, "Watching the Super Bowl really shows how little ambition #rugbyleague has".
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users