Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SOS to Brian Barwick.....please help the London Broncos!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

'I knew nothing about the game but decided if you cannot beat them join them. We became friends – Nigel came racing with me and he fixed up for me to watch my local team St Helens. I have watched Grand Finals at Old Trafford.
I then said to Nigel if there was ever an opportunity to buy a club, let me know, because I could see what a great game rugby league was.
Before Christmas, he telephoned me and brought Salford to my attention. I realised the club’s potential and things started from there. I came back from holiday in Dubai and started the complex hard negotiations.'

Wonder if he was ever offerd a chance of ownership or a share of the Broncos?

Or Bradford, it's not like our plight wasn't all over the news.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

I suspect that he probably was offered both clubs but Broncos probably involved spending to much cash for someone who doesn't want to be a sugar daddy and Bradford is not a sufficiently fashionable location.

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

I suspect that he probably was offered both clubs but Broncos probably involved spending to much cash for someone who doesn't want to be a sugar daddy and Bradford is not a sufficiently fashionable location.

With all due respect and I think most know my views on the Bulls, Salford is a more fashionable location than Bradford, well I am surprised.

#44 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

You shouldn't be, it is in the Manchester conurbation. Few outside the UK have heard of Salford but almost everybody in the world has heard of Manchester.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

RL and the Broncos are pretty active on twitter.

The southern RL journalists are generally positive and talk up the game unlike their northern equivalents who seem to spend their entire time watching other sports and saying things like, "Watching the Super Bowl really shows how little ambition #rugbyleague has".

Or 'watching the darts tonight, a sell out 8000 crowd. Its great etc' 8K? That's a big crowd now is it?
That and speedway are just about the only upbeat things I have seen this guy tweet.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

You shouldn't be, it is in the Manchester conurbation. Few outside the UK have heard of Salford but almost everybody in the world has heard of Manchester.

A friend of mine met a girl from Salford and wnet there to see her. I tried to warn him but he went anyway and three people were shot and killed in a pub just around the corner. Very fashionable.

#47 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

A fair few Smiths fans will know of Salford. :rolleyes:
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#48 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

A friend of mine met a girl from Salford and wnet there to see her. I tried to warn him but he went anyway and three people were shot and killed in a pub just around the corner. Very fashionable.

Thank God stuff like that doesn't happen in Bratfut.

#49 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

The game generally is doing okay down here, but the club is going backwards.

I missed the game on sunday because my mrs had arranged a visit to her mum. I mean, I could have put my foot down and insisted seeing as it was the first game of the season but in the end I decided I didn't want to have that argument only to then get to the Stoop and be disappointed by the club's efforts. Glad I didn't go as it turns out because apparently they overcharged for concessions tickets, the club shop ran out of stock (on day 1!), there was no food on offer at half time, promised free tickets never materialised, the free foam hands were laid out in the away fans section, and the CEO was running around after the gates had opened stacking shelves and putting up bunting. And then the team lost.

Two or three years ago a group of Quins RL / Broncos fans on here were slaughterign the club for it performance. If anything, things have deteriorated. Honestly, if the RFL wants a team down here then they've got to get involved themselves and actually do something about it.

Just to add to the above list, it turns out that it's now cheaper for away fans to use the Legends Lounge than Broncos supporters. A match ticket including access to the lounge costs GBP40, but if you have a season ticket you still have to pay the GBP40 even though you already have a ticket for the game. Nice to see the club looking after the people who have stuck with the club through thick and thin. And more thin.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#50 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Doesn't he live in Liverpool? Perhaps he just wanted to stay local and/or his horses are trained in the North West.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#51 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Doesn't he live in Liverpool? Perhaps he just wanted to stay local and/or his horses are trained in the North West.

That would also make sense.

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Just to add to the above list, it turns out that it's now cheaper for away fans to use the Legends Lounge than Broncos supporters. A match ticket including access to the lounge costs GBP40, but if you have a season ticket you still have to pay the GBP40 even though you already have a ticket for the game. Nice to see the club looking after the people who have stuck with the club through thick and thin. And more thin.

I'm sure this is a case of history repeating. The exact details are beyond me but I'm sure for a time at Griffin Park when they tried to create a home end and an away end they managed to make it substantially cheaper to be an away supporter.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users