Massive turn around by us
York 16 swinton 32

#5 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

30-12
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#6 ernie73

ernie73
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

18-22

#7 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

just finished listening to the commentary on BBC Radio York - really, really annoyed me when one of the commentators continually referred to the Swinton players as Warrington players - at one point he said about Morrison - "he is one of the payers actually signed by Swinton - well sort of" ............ suffering a 34 - 12 defeat didn't help matters...........I feel really depressed now, for those that managed to go - overall how did the the team play - sounded to me that they had sufficient opportunities to win but didn't what with interceptions etc

#8 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

just finished listening to the commentary on BBC Radio York - really, really annoyed me when one of the commentators continually referred to the Swinton players as Warrington players - at one point he said about Morrison - "he is one of the payers actually signed by Swinton - well sort of" ............ suffering a 34 - 12 defeat didn't help matters...........I feel really depressed now, for those that managed to go - overall how did the the team play - sounded to me that they had sufficient opportunities to win but didn't what with interceptions etc

unfortunatley the commentator was right, extremly biased though.

#9 LionessTaz

LionessTaz
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I had to turn off Radio York due to that Wayne, but ended up listening to Radio Manchester on the net and they referred to Swinton Lions as Salford Lions and Salford team....

#10 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Sorry guys but you were no match today , you scored a couple of decent tries which were handed to you by a couple of poor decisions by our friend Mr Merrick but on the whole you were 2nd best , 1st half you had 5 sets camped on our line & still couldn't get over , some promising youngsters playing for you though , best of luck for the season
LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#11 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

just finished listening to the commentary on BBC Radio York - really, really annoyed me when one of the commentators continually referred to the Swinton players as Warrington players - at one point he said about Morrison - "he is one of the payers actually signed by Swinton - well sort of" ............ suffering a 34 - 12 defeat didn't help matters.... .......I feel really depressed now, for those that managed to go - overall how did the the team play - sounded to me that they had sufficient opportunities to win but didn't what with interceptions etc

Would just like to apologise to the Lions fans who were upset by references to Warrington players.
We also had a text from a lady who, I presume, had a grandson playing on DR for Swinton.
At no point was any of it premeditated or, as the lady, thought, sarcasm. It was simply a mistaken and unfortunate slip of the tongue in commentary, though repeated a number of times.
I suppose that preparing notes during the week, which included reading this forum, meant that the word Warrington had become imprinted on the brain. Difficult times I'm afraid as teams strive to use DR to their best advantage.
I as BBC Radio York's RL presenter very much appreciate 'away' fans listening in when they are unable to travel and we do try and give a reasonably balanced view of the action on the day though, of course we are, BBC Radio YORK.
To be honest, despite hours of googling etc, rugby press, when that Lions team sheet landed today, it was very difficult to know which players were signed, which were DR, loan etc. Awkward times for the media.
The game was pretty even until the hour when an interception of a Josh Barlow pass changed the game. Was impressed by Brad Dwyer - very lively and Jordan Burke deserved his try with his intelligent running.
We can't be too churlish about DR - five of our six tries were scored by Hull players !!
All the best for the rest of the season.

Edited by andyacko, 10 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#12 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

unfortunatley the commentator was right, extremly biased though.

Wouldn't expect anything less from you.
Perhaps had you taken the time to go over and watch then your mutterings would be credible.

#13 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

unfortunatly not all of us have jobs that pay enough to afford to go to all matches, i for one would if i could.

#14 knightrider

knightrider
  • Coach
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Sufficient opportunitys to win.Are you having a laugh.We bombed 3 dead cert trys 1st half.That would have taken us past the 50 point mark if all converted.Very dissapointed in your guys today.Thought we dominated in most areas today.Best team won by a street mile imo.For the first time in a very very long time our defence was something like.Last year you would have probably had a few trys.This time our goal line defence was a different proposition.Not going to get carried away but we seem to be heading in the right direction.Hope you guys hit the winning trail soon.
Posted Image

#15 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Fair assessment overall,however we also had a number of good opportunities in the second half with the score reasonably close. The interception you scored definitely changed the game in so much as it lifted your boys again. Congratulations on a good win,our time will come.

#16 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hope so. Steve McCormack, though disappointed, didnt seem too down after the game and said that they will turn it around.

#17 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yes he said very similar to myself when I was talking to him.
In Steve we trust.

#18 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I was in the press box today and was asked by several members of the press who were on DR and who were signed and this was recipricated with the info on the Hull FC players who i thought were very impressive today although my personal man of the match was Simon Brown. His kicking game was superb setting up one try and then another from a forty/twenty.
I am sure the knights will suprise a few sides this season. Good luck to all.

#19 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Quite simply second best today...very disappointed in our performance

#20 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I was in the press box today and was asked by several members of the press who were on DR and who were signed and this was recipricated with the info on the Hull FC players who i thought were very impressive today although my personal man of the match was Simon Brown. His kicking game was superb setting up one try and then another from a forty/twenty.
I am sure the knights will suprise a few sides this season. Good luck to all.

Thanks for your fair assessment of the game,the Knights had a fair few mom players, and the team are showing signs of gelling, it's difficult for teams with DR players involved to show thier true potential, but hey we'll take that play any day of the week and twice on Sundays,good luck in your season except when you play us again :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users