Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is your MP a relic from the 1950s?

Spectator has a handy list

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Check to see if your MP has failed to realise what century we're in
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Credit to Cameron for urging the Tories to vote yes for this. Lots of talk about this issue causing some of the more backward conservative to vote elsewhere at the next GE. Could be a win win situation.
Fides invicta triumphat

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Credit to Cameron for urging the Tories to vote yes for this. Lots of talk about this issue causing some of the more backward conservative to vote elsewhere at the next GE. Could be a win win situation.

I especially liked the divorced and remarried MPs talking about how marriage could only be about the life-long commitment of a man to a woman.
- Severus, July 2012

#4 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Whilst I've been critical of my local Conservative MP on here in the past for not answering a letter I sent I'll take my hat off to him today, Andrew Percy MP voted for equal marriage.

Well done.

I think the wider question needs to be what happens to the Conservative Party as a whole now. I won't vote for it whilst its over half full of people whose attitudes were socially conservative in the 1950's. I might however vote for a Conservative party with more socially liberal attitudes.

Personally I would like the party to split between the far right and the centre right and the libertarians... I admit I'm living in cloud cuckoo land, but you can bet if that happened you'd have conservatives wanting PR in flash.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Given the Craig Whittaker, the MP for the Calder Valley voted against, I can imagine that there will be a fair percentage of the population of Hebden Bridge going nuts. :lol:

I honestly can't see what the issue is. On a legal basis, as far as I can tell at least, the only difference between a civil partnership and a marriage is the name. Whilst I'm all for equality, it all just feels like semantics from both sides to me. If I'm missing something on the legal side of things, please feel free to correct me. :)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Check to see if your MP has failed to realise what century we're in

And do what?
Sounds like you are proposing a form of McCarthyism where everyone must feel the same or else. Maybe they feel strongly over the matter?

I know everyone is scrambling aboard the bandwagon so as not to be seen as anti gay or not with it but not even all gays agree that this is a life or death issue and the ones I have spoken to about it can't understand the urgency of it all.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,400 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I agree with Sev on this. This is a great result. In addition to addressing the main issue, if it drives the small-minded homophobic, xenophobic, Europhobic rabid right into the oblivion that is UKIP, so much the better for all of us come election time. By this one single action, Cameron has significantly boosted his re-election chances.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Maybe they feel strongly over the matter?

Maybe they do. If they are unable to cope with using the term 'marriage' to describe a legal declaration of commitment between two adults and feel strongly enough to vote against it then it (subject to certain other considerations) is a strong indicator that they are a bigot.

I respect everyone's right to an opinion. I don't have to respect their opinion though. I expect my opinions to be challenged, they shouldn't expect theirs to be met with silence under some bizarre notion of 'free speech'.

--

I know it's not uniform approval or desire in the gayist community. It seems to me a majority embrace the idea of their relationships having identical and equal value to straight relationships in language and law though. The only decriers I saw or heard yesterday were people who, if straight, wouldn't be lining up to commit anyway. Nobody's stopping them carrying on as they like, just as nobody would stop a straight Don Juan from bedhopping.

As for the urgency. If it's not important, why not just shrug shoulders, let it pass and move on ...
- Severus, July 2012

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

And do what?
Sounds like you are proposing a form of McCarthyism where everyone must feel the same or else. Maybe they feel strongly over the matter?

I know everyone is scrambling aboard the bandwagon so as not to be seen as anti gay or not with it but not even all gays agree that this is a life or death issue and the ones I have spoken to about it can't understand the urgency of it all.

Although I do agree with your last paragraph in general, the problem is that the government has brought forward this legislation, essentially making it a yes/no/abstain question, forcing MPs to publicly make their mind up.

For me though, it should be a no-brainer, shrug your shoulders, vote it in and get on with more important stuff.

It will be interesting going through the Lords.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Interestingly, it would seem that my MP, George Galloway, voted to allow gay marriage. I would guess that this is not the view adopted by the majority of his constituents.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

My local MP voted against, however in her defence on her website and twitter account she maintains that the overwhelming majority of contact from constituents on the matter was against. Her figures are over 500 to 33, so I suppose she was reflecting the will of her constituents.
Democracy or some such nonsense.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

My local MP voted against, however in her defence on her website and twitter account she maintains that the overwhelming majority of contact from constituents on the matter was against. Her figures are over 500 to 33, so I suppose she was reflecting the will of her constituents.
Democracy or some such nonsense.

The benefits for a free vote do at least allow for MPs to represent their constituents' views if they deign to do so. They do also allow for a cop out clause if they choose as well.

Sarah Teather's revelation that she's a conservative Catholic at heart was a bit of a surprise. She and Maria Miller will make a lovely couple.
- Severus, July 2012

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Interestingly, it would seem that my MP, George Galloway, voted to allow gay marriage. I would guess that this is not the view adopted by the majority of his constituents.

It would be very hard for Galloway to argue that marriage for him represents the life-long commitment of a man for a woman.
- Severus, July 2012

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

As for the urgency. If it's not important, why not just shrug shoulders, let it pass and move on ...

But by providing a link of who did or didn't vote the way you think you should you're hardly shrugging your shoulders. More like going 'look at the dissenters, burn them'.

How long until its 'are you now or have you ever been anti gay marriage'? etc

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Given the Craig Whittaker, the MP for the Calder Valley voted against, I can imagine that there will be a fair percentage of the population of Hebden Bridge going nuts. :lol:

I honestly can't see what the issue is. On a legal basis, as far as I can tell at least, the only difference between a civil partnership and a marriage is the name. Whilst I'm all for equality, it all just feels like semantics from both sides to me. If I'm missing something on the legal side of things, please feel free to correct me. :)

You are not, it is purely semantics.

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

But by providing a link of who did or didn't vote the way you think you should you're hardly shrugging your shoulders.

It's a correction to make equal in law and wording everybody's relationships.

People who vote against that and make a song and dance about doing so should be called out.

Like I say: I respect everyone's right to an opinion. But don't expect silent reverance for it.
- Severus, July 2012

#17 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I went to a relations civil ceremony last year

Does this mean there wont be any more civil ceremonies now as two same gender people committing in a civil environment (eg registry office/hotel etc) will now be called a marriage?

As understood it the main definition would be the religious element, and this is up to the church/mosque/synagogue etc to decide whether they want to do it on behalf of the couple requesting it. How long until there is a legal challenge and a church (etc) is in the dock?

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Civil partnerships already make gays equal under law, that red herring. It seems to me that it is people who aren't gay who are making the biggest song & dance about it, in order to show they are not out of touch and are really modern actually. I'm not convinced.

#19 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Craig Whittaker believes in the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman.

His first and second wife also believe in this. ;)

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Civil partnerships already make gays equal under law, that red herring. It seems to me that it is people who aren't gay who are making the biggest song & dance about it, in order to show they are not out of touch and are really modern actually. I'm not convinced.

Twitter isn't representative of the wider world I know but the biggest cheerleaders that I've seen on there were yer-actual-homos. And Stonewall, which obviously represents all manner of deviants.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users