Spectator has a handy list

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

As understood it the main definition would be the religious element, and this is up to the church/mosque/synagogue etc to decide whether they want to do it on behalf of the couple requesting it. How long until there is a legal challenge and a church (etc) is in the dock?

I think there'll be a challenge but it'll end up ruling the other way. Churches will get sued for discrimination but then the ECHR will eventually rule that an individual church has the right to refuse to refuse to marry someone because of incompatibility with the church's religious beliefs, mainly because a gay couple can shop around for marriages at a church anywhere that'll accept them. Regardless of what the Daily Mail rants about on the ECHR, they do come up with some fairly sensible opinions when forced to choose between two sets of freedoms

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I went to a relations civil ceremony last year

Does this mean there wont be any more civil ceremonies now as two same gender people committing in a civil environment (eg registry office/hotel etc) will now be called a marriage?

As understood it the main definition would be the religious element, and this is up to the church/mosque/synagogue etc to decide whether they want to do it on behalf of the couple requesting it. How long until there is a legal challenge and a church (etc) is in the dock?

I don't know. They claim that the act is written in such a way that there can be no challenge. Just as I could never rock up at a mosque and demand that they let me get married there. Similarly whilst my dad was a vicar he blocked several weddings that were to take place in his churches because the people were not sufficiently committed and/or Christianish.

I'm not aware of any successful legal challenge from straight couples who've been blocked from getting married where they want on religious grounds. I'd be genuinely interested in knowing if there have been any.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Twitter isn't representative of the wider world I know but the biggest cheerleaders that I've seen on there were yer-actual-homos. And Stonewall, which obviously represents all manner of deviants.

Stonewall is not representative of all gays. You know, the unfamous ones not all over twitter, just the regular guys and girls living their life in boring suburbia, who just happen to be gay and don't need a rep to tell them they are ok.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#24 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm not aware of any successful legal challenge from straight couples who've been blocked from getting married where they want on religious grounds. I'd be genuinely interested in knowing if there have been any.

How would that be covered by the equalities legislation?

#25 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Craig Whittaker believes in the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman.

His first and second wife also believe in this. ;)

I've no political allegience at all, and I've never met him. He does however always come across as a prat whenever I've seen him interviewed.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Stonewall is not representative of all gays. You know, the unfamous ones not all over twitter, just the regular guys and girls living their life in boring suburbia, who just happen to be gay and don't need a rep to tell them they are ok.

And they can now get on with their lives in the same fuss-free way.

It's regular 'guys and guys and girls and girls' though. That's what marks them out.
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

whilst my dad was a vicar he blocked several weddings that were to take place in his churches because the people were not sufficiently committed and/or Christianish.

If only he'd been at St Johns in Bradford in 1974.

:( ;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

How would that be covered by the equalities legislation?

I think ckn might have covered it above. Like I say, I don't know.

Religious rights are often protected though, especially in religious settings. As opposed to B&Bs.
- Severus, July 2012

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

If only he'd been at St Johns in Bradford in 1974.

:( ;)

:D

If you'd stayed in Wales he could have seen you right.

Cwmbran around then, I think.
- Severus, July 2012

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,095 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

whilst my dad was a vicar he blocked several weddings that were to take place in his churches because the people were not sufficiently committed and/or Christianish.

Slightly off-topic but in order to get her son christened my cousin has been told to clock up a few hours at the church.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Face it, most people, gay or otherwise don't go to church. So who gives a monkeys if you can't get married in one?
Unless you need to be seen to be doing the right thing. A close friend of mine who is both gay and a vegetarian said to me 'it strikes me like veggies demanding the right to eat meat...ie pointless'

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Slightly off-topic but in order to get her son christened my cousin has been told to clock up a few hours at the church.

Same here and I said thanks but no thanks. As a result none of my kids have ever been christened. And with my family that caused some grief.

#33 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

If you'd stayed in Wales he could have seen you right.

Cwmbran around then, I think.

Did he have his own shotgun, or did the happy couple generally fetch their own?

#34 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Slightly off topic, but this snippet from history sprang to mind:-

The Earl of Arran whose Private Peer's Bill was enacted to make homosexuality legal in Great Britain (Northern Ireland had to wait much longer) later introduced a bill to protect badgers.

He complained to a friend that he had a full turn out in the Lords to debate his 'buggers' bill but an empty house for the badgers' bill.

His friend replied,'That's because there are no badgers in the House of Lords.'

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'd advise them to get Angry Birds on silent on their phone.
- Severus, July 2012

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

What about Lord Brocket?

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,095 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'd advise them to get Angry Birds on silent on their phone.

:unsure: :huh: passed me by that one.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

If she doesn't already go to church, why the desire to get her son christened? I've sat through plenty of christenings over the years, and I've yet to get a logical explanation as to why non religious adults feel the need to have their child become a "member of the church", when they'll probably never set foot in one again.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,095 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

If she doesn't already go to church, why the desire to get her son christened? I've sat through plenty of christenings over the years, and I've yet to get a logical explanation as to why non religious adults feel the need to have their child become a "member of the church", when they'll probably never set foot in one again.

No idea. I'm just praying it doesn't clash with a Bulls game!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

No idea. I'm just praying it doesn't clash with a Bulls game!

:lol:

When I got married, I was under strict instructions with my father in law to be that I had to make sure the wedding didn't clash with a Burnley home game. I managed that, then missed Fev in the GF (2010) as I was in Heathrow, about to catch a plane to South Africa on honeymoon. :rolleyes: Still, given their record prior to then, why would I have given that prospect a 2nd thought when planning it all? :D

Please view my photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users