Spectator has a handy list

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

What happened before if an ostensibly heterosexual couple wanted to marry and one of them was transgenderised? Did the surgically-modified partner have to prove they were a bodily-functional man or woman?

Yes, because that was happening all the time :rolleyes:
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#62 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I can believe it, down where you live.
:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#63 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

He keeps asking these strange questions 'for a friend'. If it's not wanting to know if he can now show his face in public without fearing of prosecution for a 'civil offence' it's wanting to know if he can marry his ladyboy with no questions asked ...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#64 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

He keeps asking these strange questions 'for a friend'.

Rubbish. I haven't got any left since they found out I was in contact with Southerners and God-Botherers.
:D

#65 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Mind you, who knows what i might be reduced to in the future?
:lol:

http://www.dailymail...c-place-UK.html

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

nooooooooooooooooo! not Shorpe!

Edited by JohnM, 06 February 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#67 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

What happened before if an ostensibly heterosexual couple wanted to marry and one of them was transgenderised? Did the surgically-modified partner have to prove they were a bodily-functional man or woman?

If they choose the invitations and flowers they are classed as a woman for this purpose. :)

#68 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I agree with Sev on this. This is a great result. In addition to addressing the main issue, if it drives the small-minded homophobic, xenophobic, Europhobic rabid right into the oblivion that is UKIP, so much the better for all of us come election time. By this one single action, Cameron has significantly boosted his re-election chances.

Milliband never voted against it either so has it boosted his election chances ?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#69 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I see your point but no. He hasn't got any. The Tories without the rabid right have more centrist appeal. Not in Donny of course.

#70 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

My local MP voted against, however in her defence on her website and twitter account she maintains that the overwhelming majority of contact from constituents on the matter was against. Her figures are over 500 to 33, so I suppose she was reflecting the will of her constituents.
Democracy or some such nonsense.

MPs are not elected to reflect the will of their constituents. They are representatives, not delegates.

That's me.  I'm done.

#71 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

MPs are not elected to reflect the will of their constituents. They are representatives, not delegates.

True. They're unlikely to have a long career if they consistently go against the wishes of their constituents however.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#72 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

True. They're unlikely to have a long career if they consistently go against the wishes of their constituents however.

Actually, as many MPs are elected by fewer than 50% of their constituents they, arguably, go against the wishes of their wishes on a regular basis. Indeed, just turning up at the Commons and taking their seat is against the wishes of the largest part of their constituents.

LUNEW.jpg

#73 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Actually, as many MPs are elected by fewer than 50% of their constituents they, arguably, go against the wishes of their wishes on a regular basis. Indeed, just turning up at the Commons and taking their seat is against the wishes of the largest part of their constituents.

Fair point. That kind of assumes however that those not voting are not doing so purely out of apathy, rather than to register a political viewpoint. ;)

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#74 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Sarah Teather's revelation that she's a conservative Catholic at heart was a bit of a surprise.

I understand that, even as she voted against it, her constituency website was still proclaiming her support for the Bill.

You couldn't ask for a better example of Lib Dem thinking.

That's me.  I'm done.

#75 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I understand that, even as she voted against it, her constituency website was still proclaiming her support for the Bill.

You couldn't ask for a better example of Lib Dem thinking.

She just ignored her constituents in line with the delegating duties you mentioned before.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#76 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yeah but I don't think that's likely to be the reason her career is curtailed.
She was involved in the first sleaze scandal of the Coalition and then after banging on ad nauseam about family values and how her husband was standing by her rebuilding the trust blah blah blah blah
That and she's bloody useless.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#77 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

She was involved in the first sleaze scandal of the Coalition and then after banging on ad nauseam about family values and how her husband was standing by her rebuilding the trust blah blah blah blah

Last bit is probably key :lol: My comment was a bit of a generalisation however, as I don't know the first thing about this particular mp.

Please view my photos.

#78 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Que? :unsure:

#79 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

To be fair, if a wife stands by a straying husband it's accepted as more "normal" than a husband standing by a straying wife. If the roles had been reversed, the press would have presented her as a martyr to the vagaries and stresses of pursuing a political career.

All sorts of different ground rules are adopted in individual stable relationships.

#80 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,217 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

To be fair, if a wife stands by a straying husband it's accepted as more "normal" than a husband standing by a straying wife.

really?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users