Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What is the latest on Wakey and Cas' new stadiums?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Are they on track for the next round of licensing?

#2 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Ooooooooooh......you are naughty ;)

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Cas are currently looking at an alternative plan of staying at Wheldon Road and developing the stadium. As with the potential move to Glasshoughton, funding is probably going to be the major obstacle. Wakey are currently working through the planning issues, with the aim of the stadium being ready to start the 2015 season.

If anyone knows more than me (wouldn't be difficult tbh :lol:), then I'm happy to stand corrected. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

theres not going to be another round of licences...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Apparently a club nearby will have its 'new' ground ready for the next round of licences.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Correct.

I have it on good authority from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who heard it in a pub that the RFL will be selling 14 franchises to the highest 14 bidders.

#7 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

That seems to be the general consensus and if they fully implement Maurice Watkins' recommendations then licensing in its current form will be scrapped.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#8 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Following on from the Salford situation,will Wakefield own their new ground or at least be able to generate extra income from the catering/corporate facilities etc - i.e. will the new ground be viable?

#9 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Apparently a club nearby will have its 'new' ground ready for the next round of licences.

Who's that then?

Cummins Out.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

That seems to be the general consensus and if they fully implement Maurice Watkins' recommendations then licensing in its current form will be scrapped.

Topic drift, I know, but...

Here is Watkin's review dated July 2012: http://www.therfl.co...tkinsReview.pdf

Some extracts and one question. Do you know if the recommendation 16 B on page 12 (The RFL Chief Executive immediately lead a review into the current RFL policies on...
...Super League Licensing and Promotion/Relegation).been carried out and if so, are there any published results? If not, will it be carried out and in what timescale?

Extracts
It is important to stress at the outset that this is a review of the sport’s governance structure. It is not a review of strategy and policy or executive performance.....In respect of key findings it would be fair to say that there is complete respect for the concept of the independence of the RFL Board and a unanimous assessment that this is hugely beneficial. Those with longer memories can recall the unsatisfactory position of clubs sitting in judgement on other clubs and are anxious not to return to those days....

Looking Ahead
16. The RFL Chief Executive immediately lead a review into the current RFL policies on:
a) Competition structures and game integration.
b Super League Licensing and Promotion/Relegation.
c) Club sustainability and the appropriate level of RFL support for clubs.
d) Youth development and player production systems.
e) Expansion of the sport and RFL’s responsibility for European development

Edited by JohnM, 06 February 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Topic drift, I know, but...

Here is Watkin's review dated July 2012: http://www.therfl.co...tkinsReview.pdf

Some extracts and one question. Do you know if the recommendation 16 B on page 12 (The RFL Chief Executive immediately lead a review into the current RFL policies on...
...Super League Licensing and Promotion/Relegation).been carried out and if so, are there any published results? If not, will it be carried out and in what timescale?

Extracts
It is important to stress at the outset that this is a review of the sport’s governance structure. It is not a review of strategy and policy or executive performance.....In respect of key findings it would be fair to say that there is complete respect for the concept of the independence of the RFL Board and a unanimous assessment that this is hugely beneficial. Those with longer memories can recall the unsatisfactory position of clubs sitting in judgement on other clubs and are anxious not to return to those days....

Looking Ahead
16. The RFL Chief Executive immediately lead a review into the current RFL policies on:
a) Competition structures and game integration.
b Super League Licensing and Promotion/Relegation.
c) Club sustainability and the appropriate level of RFL support for clubs.
d) Youth development and player production systems.
e) Expansion of the sport and RFL’s responsibility for European development

Looking ahead (d) the RFL have withdrawn even more development funding from championship clubs, at the end of this month Doncaster are laying off 2 of their 3 (not sure about Paul Cooke)
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#12 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,031 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I really hope the review advocates a return to P&R Terry, even if we are best place to secure a licence.
I am so glad the whole process is subject to review and that that review is carried out with absolute transparency.
Of course, a review may suggest retaining the status quo.... we'll see.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

But is the review actually taking place and if so who is doing it and when will the recommendations be published?

#14 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,031 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

But is the review actually taking place and if so who is doing it and when will the recommendations be published?

Dunno, Dunno and hopefully!

I remember feeling quite enthused when the first suggestion that licencing/P&R was to be reviewed then becoming a little dismayed that so far, no apparent action has been taken thus far. We will see....

Edited by Robin Evans, 06 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#15 brooza

brooza
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

5 year cycle?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#16 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

P&R v licensing thread here we go then.

I fully expect that by the next time I log-in, this thread will be up to page 13 and the last poster will be either keighley or The Parksider.

Before it does, any comments on the original question?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

theres loads of comments on the original question.........theres not going to be another round of licencing.....so don't worry about it

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#18 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Wakey, maybe. Cas no, never.

Cas seem to have admitted that it was only ever a pipe dream of Mr Wright's and are looking to redevelop the WC.

Wakey have pretty much all of the planning in place, but there is some clause that requires a certain % of the wider development to be built and let before stadium construction begins.

#19 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

theres loads of comments on the original question.........theres not going to be another round of licencing.....so don't worry about it

Apparently the Fax Bod are only bothered about finishing in the top six this year. Now read into that what you will, but changes to the league structures could be ready to be changed.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

1.P&R v licensing thread here we go then.

2. I fully expect that by the next time I log-in, this thread will be up to page 13 and the last poster will be either keighley or The Parksider.

3. Before it does, any comments on the original question?

1. It's not about P & R it's about the grounds.

2. I fully expect a stupid crack from you in any thread. You have not disappointed.

3. As for the grounds I again passed Newmarket only last week and nothing has happened. At least up at Glasshoughton they put a hoarding up advertising the coal mine muck heap as the site of Cas's new stadium. They could not even manage this at Newmarket.

I suspect given the tin roof and patching up at Belle vue and equal plans for patching up Wheldon Road, we'll have three tired old grounds tarted up to give three tired old clubs another go to be "super"

How about a merger thread Browny?

Edited by The Parksider, 06 February 2013 - 01:14 PM.