Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How many Teams Will fail to Start/Complete Season?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 chinaman

chinaman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

With the start of the so called Summer season now not far away and many players enjoying playing traditional winter rugby, possibly at a higher and certainly more competitive standard, how many teams will struggle to get going in particular with a lack of regular competitive 2nd team rugby.
The Pennine League in particular seems to be going from strength to strength from both a playing and admin point of view despite the weather . Many NCL players having taken up with winter teams and done well and, having made new mates, may be reluctant to return to struggling teams scratching around for players every week.
Think the top couple of divisions in the NCL should do ok despite the reduced quality of the game but some of the lower divisions will be pretty ordinary and disrupted and nowhere near the standard of the top divisions in winter who are up there with the best in the NCL.
Think also the lack of activity on here, apart from the usual suspects is indicative of a lack of enthusiasm for the NCL and probably RL admin in general in particular the way the RFL behave and the way the game has been split and separated at both professional/semi professional and amateur levels .
The game is in a mess but fails to admit its failing or even consider addressing them.

Edited by chinaman, 06 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#2 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

NEGATIVITY Dont you just love it.

I would challenge some of your comments.

Firstly IMO all NCL teams will start the season and complete as arranged, but sadly some of the second teams may struggle to start and go the distance.
I know of many players who are currently playing winter rugby in the Pennine league but have contacted their NCL clubs and currently training with them as well, prior to the season starting.
Where do you get that the quality of the game has reduced within the NCL, if anything i believe it has been enhanced with going summer.
Believe me i regularly watch teams in the Leeds area that are playing in the Pennine league and the standards in the Top Divisons are noway near as good as the NCL teams other than a couple of sides.

The forum activity has of course reduced for the NCL, as youve probably noticed it is out of season.

Lets cut out all the negative points and look forward to forthcomeing season.

Summer Rugby is here to stay so get used to it.

#3 chinaman

chinaman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Obviously in denial, ostrich syndrome a touch of the Lance Armstrong about the RFL Moonies!!!!

#4 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Obviously in denial, ostrich syndrome a touch of the Lance Armstrong about the RFL Moonies!!!!

Can I have that in English please

#5 chinaman

chinaman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Refusal to beleive!!! Thought it was quite clear but obviosly the moonies were before your time they were followers of a strange, dominant, dictatorial and ultimately corrupt cult not unlike the RFL. !!!!

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

It will keep with the trends of when BARLA players played in the RLC, If the team they are playing with are doing well they will see the season out then go back, every season in both winter and summer we get teams to the start line but don't finish so thats nothing new, what tends to happen a lot more in the summer (normally in the expansion areas) are teams applying to join a league but don't get to the start line.

Edited by Marauder, 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#7 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Refusal to beleive!!! Thought it was quite clear but obviosly the moonies were before your time they were followers of a strange, dominant, dictatorial and ultimately corrupt cult not unlike the RFL. !!!!

The topic thread is about NCL sides and whether they will start and fullfill their fixtures.

Yes they come under the RFL banner but they have nothing to do with how the league is run, it is self govening

#8 chinaman

chinaman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

The topic thread is about NCL sides and whether they will start and fullfill their fixtures.

Yes they come under the RFL banner but they have nothing to do with how the league is run, it is self govening

MMMM!

#9 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

It will keep with the trends of when BARLA players played in the RLC, If the team they are playing with are doing well they will see the season out then go back, every season in both winter and summer we get teams to the start line but don't finish so thats nothing new, what tends to happen a lot more in the summer (normally in the expansion areas) are teams applying to join a league but don't get to the start line.

Yes i can see that happening with team in the expansion areas.

I dont see that happening with the NCL sides, and presumably the new sides to join this year have looked at their playing numbers and should be ready for the kick off.

#10 chinaman

chinaman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Well at least its provoked some discussion if only from the usual suspects!
Lerts see if there is any interest from elsewhere.
Happy new year boys!

#11 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

After having a gud break this year I think summer rugby will do a lot better. With everyone I've spoken to, There seems to be more enthusiam from players to get bck involved.

#12 Loose Carry

Loose Carry
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

With the start of the so called Summer season now not far away and many players enjoying playing traditional winter rugby, possibly at a higher and certainly more competitive standard, how many teams will struggle to get going in particular with a lack of regular competitive 2nd team rugby.
The Pennine League in particular seems to be going from strength to strength from both a playing and admin point of view despite the weather . Many NCL players having taken up with winter teams and done well and, having made new mates, may be reluctant to return to struggling teams scratching around for players every week.
Think the top couple of divisions in the NCL should do ok despite the reduced quality of the game but some of the lower divisions will be pretty ordinary and disrupted and nowhere near the standard of the top divisions in winter who are up there with the best in the NCL.
Think also the lack of activity on here, apart from the usual suspects is indicative of a lack of enthusiasm for the NCL and probably RL admin in general in particular the way the RFL behave and the way the game has been split and separated at both professional/semi professional and amateur levels .
The game is in a mess but fails to admit its failing or even consider addressing them.

You only have to look at the final standings last year to see how competitive the NCL is, the standard is ultimatly debatable but I would doubt that any team outside the NCL would compete at the top of the premier division over the period of a full season.
One or two of the teams may end up dropping out at the end of the season but the general trend is progressive and expansive, the fact that a full extra division has been added this season which includes some big clubs from regional leagues shows that summer rugby is here to stay so GET OVER IT chinaman.

#13 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Not getting involved in long drawn out arguments here, but I do fear there will be casualties this season. A lot of admin people I have spoken to seem very down hearted with the way things are going. Seems a lot of apathy about at a lot of clubs.

#14 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Division 3 will be just as strong as 1 and 2 and will be a tough Division to get out of. Woolston performance against St Jude's from Division 1 shows that the so called lower divisions as you put will be putting the effort in.

#15 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Could that not be misconstruded as a slanderous statement?
Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yes i can see that happening with team in the expansion areas.

I dont see that happening with the NCL sides, and presumably the new sides to join this year have looked at their playing numbers and should be ready for the kick off.

First teams will always put a side out in the NCL.

#17 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Lance Armstrong??? He told so many lies I don't even believe he went to the moon now. :lol: :lol:

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

You only have to look at the final standings last year to see how competitive the NCL is, the standard is ultimatly debatable but I would doubt that any team outside the NCL would compete at the top of the premier division over the period of a full season.
One or two of the teams may end up dropping out at the end of the season but the general trend is progressive and expansive, the fact that a full extra division has been added this season which includes some big clubs from regional leagues shows that summer rugby is here to stay so GET OVER IT chinaman.

Don't talk daft, the % of teams in the Pennine Premier who are actually running `A` teams is probably the same as the NCL, many of these are also running juniors.

#19 Loose Carry

Loose Carry
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Loose Carry, on 06 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

One or two of the teams may end up dropping out at the end of the season but the general trend is progressive and expansive, the fact that a full extra division has been added this season which includes some big clubs from regional leagues shows that summer rugby is here to stay so GET OVER IT chinaman

D

don't talk daft, the % of teams in the Pennine Premier who are actually running `A` teams is probably the same as the NCL, many of these are also running juniors.

Im not sure what relevance your responce has to my comment mate, i didnt comment on 'A' teams or youth structure at all, was purely about the NCL

#20 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Typical NCL supporters view that clearly shows the double standards of the NCL. Part of the minimal criteria for entry to NCL is to run 2 open age teams but when the going gets tough eg with the move to summer several teams didn't fulfill their A team fixtures. You only have to look at the YML fixtures last year to confirm a staggering number of games not played and also NCL A teams that simply disappeared altogether. As a result what action is taken - none!!

I also watch our great game across a broad spectrum of leagues and levels each week including NCL and Pennine and summer leagues and recognise there are some great sides in the NCL but its obvious that some NCL ' supporters' are deluding themselves if they believe they have all the tops sides in their comp. Its obvious by watching each week several of the top premier Pennine clubs would compete extremely well over a full season. Finally with regards to new NCL division 3 by including so many new clubs its simply added quantity not quality. I have seen many of these regional sides teams in action over the last few years and some would struggle to reach the top of Pennine div 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users