Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How many Teams Will fail to Start/Complete Season?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#61 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I am not a massive fan of summer rugby myself however i believe in the democratic process and the NCL clubs voted for it unanimously so here weare.

As a NCL coach i will just get on with it and do the best i can given that other interests family matters and holidays will interfere with what is an amateur sport.

Make the best of what we have got is what i say cause its the same for each n every NCL club/team. There will always be something else in the summer for us all to do, perhaps if the NCL and the RFL gave the players clubs and officials some form of financial incentive things might just be a little different from a playing, coaching and club perspective.

A lot went on in the back ground prior to the vote,

just one thing that springs to mind, following a two hour presentation on the benifits of playing in summer one of the members asked the pannel is anyone going to talk to us about the disavantages of moving to summer, unbelievably the answer that came back was NO we cant think of any disadvantages,

the last qeustion on a servey that was carried out was, if we move to summer would you stop playing,

not to mention all the phone calls that went on, also why was it not a secret vote,

#62 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

If they had done that when the NCL decided to move to summer in 2011 for the 2012 campaign then the NCL would have had no reason to change the policy of leaving dates blank in the calender . The Tier 3 Cup was introduced in part to give our clubs a cup format during their playing season.

If Barla wanted to move their Cup to align it to the NCL season then clearly there's a discussion to be had .

But the fundamental issue of numbers declining remains. The National Cup was diminishing well before the move to summer with the bulk of clubs in Tier 4 avoiding it . Why ? Maybe it's time to look at more radical alternatives - how about putting the winter Premiers into the Tier 3 Cup and running the Barla Cup nationally for the rest of Tier 4 ...................

thats a good idea. say run a national cup (NCL + Regional premiers), national bowl (summer premiers + winter regional top divisions), national shield (summer regionals + winter lower divisions). you could have all 3 finals on the same day at the same venue, you may gain a lot more interest, plus we would have a truely national cup at ALL amateur levels. i play winter rugby, i played 6 seasons of summer in the past as well, and i think that its a proposal that should be put to the RFL and BARLA. imean ffs it IS for the good of the game!!!

#63 YorkshireLeyther

YorkshireLeyther
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

dont like to defend miners but it was their 2nd team and not 1st that entered the cup so dont read to much into the result

I heard that Sean Pendlebury scored two tries. It doesn't sound like a second team!

#64 kaykie

kaykie
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

I heard that Sean Pendlebury scored two tries. It doesn't sound like a second team!

look at the team sheet and u'll not see many 1st team lads plus with um signing grovsey it'll be interesting to see if pengy starts for 1st

#65 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

A lot went on in the back ground prior to the vote,

just one thing that springs to mind, following a two hour presentation on the benifits of playing in summer one of the members asked the pannel is anyone going to talk to us about the disavantages of moving to summer, unbelievably the answer that came back was NO we cant think of any disadvantages,

the last qeustion on a servey that was carried out was, if we move to summer would you stop playing,

not to mention all the phone calls that went on, also why was it not a secret vote,

Looks like clubs where given an option :wacko: Who chaired the meeting the RFL
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#66 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Looks like clubs where given an option :wacko: Who chaired the meeting the RFL

Well, if it had anything to do with you Marauder, you would have known that the NCL chair their own meetings. But of course it doesn't have anything to do with you does it :)

#67 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Well, if it had anything to do with you Marauder, you would have known that the NCL chair their own meetings. But of course it doesn't have anything to do with you does it :)

Who are you to say who it directly or indirectly has anything to do with, when my club voted on summer v winter or both everything was put on the table for the players and committee to see.

It wasn't possible to turn winter sheep into summer sheep because most of our players/committee already had seven years experience of playing in the summer which the NCL never had.

As time is going on it is looking like there are more and more little stories coming to light like the one on this thread that the NCL committee never put the full context of summer Vs winter to the clubs hench having a stacked/rigged or whatever you want to call it vote.

Will the clubs at the end of next season or after the third summer season be given a vote whether to continue or revert back to winter.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#68 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Who are you to say who it directly or indirectly has anything to do with, when my club voted on summer v winter or both everything was put on the table for the players and committee to see.

It wasn't possible to turn winter sheep into summer sheep because most of our players/committee already had seven years experience of playing in the summer which the NCL never had.

As time is going on it is looking like there are more and more little stories coming to light like the one on this thread that the NCL committee never put the full context of summer Vs winter to the clubs hench having a stacked/rigged or whatever you want to call it vote.

Will the clubs at the end of next season or after the third summer season be given a vote whether to continue or revert back to winter.

I presume the NCL clubs will discuss this at their meeting if they want to vote after 3 years to switch back to Winter, unfortuantely you wont get a vote as the NCL is nothing to do with you.

You really should put all this energy for hating summer/RFL into your club and not let leagues you have no say in do what they voted to do, and if you think these clubs are sheep who just follow what rfl say have a very poor opinion of those clubs/ committee.

Does your club vote each year to decide if it wants to stick with Winter or switch back to Summer because im sure you would give all the facts and not be bias in any way or form

#69 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I think these so called little stories are all part of your imagination.
Where does it say that the facts of the summer v winter debate were never given or discussed.

Regarding the vote after 3 years; I would think that the clubs will be asked what they want to happen and if a vote is needed/requested they will get one.

#70 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I think these so called little stories are all part of your imagination.
Where does it say that the facts of the summer v winter debate were never given or discussed.

Regarding the vote after 3 years; I would think that the clubs will be asked what they want to happen and if a vote is needed/requested they will get one.

can you difine in your own opinion what you feel the benifits of moving to summer have been so fare? i want to get on your summer train but common sence is keeping me on the platform.

summer was sold on the idea better playing conditions, this is true you will get no argument there from me on that, its just a shame players and spectators have got better things to do in the summer,
and isnt it true we are in danger of loosing full age groups due to exams ect (not sure on this but im sure ive hurd it somewere)
most sides failed to feild a second team due to shortage of players which has also been an issue in winter but no were near this scale,

most of the games played in summer were a mixter of 1st and 2nd team players, so the better standards go out the window.

if a large propotion of second team games get called off again this summer? would you still claim summer to be a success thus basing all your efforts on first team?

ps, looking forward to the Vote,

#71 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Is it groundhog day?
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#72 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Is it groundhog day?

No, Groundhog Day was a film that came out in 1993 staring Bill Murry
it is also a day in america that falls on the 2nd feb that is celabrated by the yanks, i can find you a link if you wish,

this is a forum where people discus on going issues and popular topics, with the biggest change since 1895 changing 117 years of tradition surprisingly this is still a hot topic
and no doubt will continue to be so for some time,

basically our sport is strugaling at all levels and the change in the playing callender has caused even more concern, just keep logging in you will get the hang of it eventaully.

hope that clears your confusion.

#73 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

This is the NCL forum.

Every fixture will be completed in this Competition in 2013.

If there is a debate to be had about Tier 4 teams , then take it elsewhere . The Community forum is probably more appropriate....

#74 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

100% fixture completion is a brave prediction hope all the new clubs meet your expectations. That said the fact that NCL 2nd teams can call off their games must help - Milford of course are an exception!

#75 bullet catcher

bullet catcher
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

No, Groundhog Day was a film that came out in 1993 staring Bill Murry
it is also a day in america that falls on the 2nd feb that is celabrated by the yanks, i can find you a link if you wish,

this is a forum where people discus on going issues and popular topics, with the biggest change since 1895 changing 117 years of tradition surprisingly this is still a hot topic
and no doubt will continue to be so for some time,

basically our sport is strugaling at all levels and the change in the playing callender has caused even more concern, just keep logging in you will get the hang of it eventaully.

hope that clears your confusion.

good effort being witty but that coming from someone who spells as bad as you :lol:

#76 santa

santa
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

100% fixture completion is a brave prediction hope all the new clubs meet your expectations. That said the fact that NCL 2nd teams can call off their games must help - Milford of course are an exception!

Very brave, has every ncl team got a 2nd team which is part of the criteria !

#77 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

can you difine in your own opinion what you feel the benifits of moving to summer have been so fare? i want to get on your summer train but common sence is keeping me on the platform.

summer was sold on the idea better playing conditions, this is true you will get no argument there from me on that, its just a shame players and spectators have got better things to do in the summer,
and isnt it true we are in danger of loosing full age groups due to exams ect (not sure on this but im sure ive hurd it somewere)
most sides failed to feild a second team due to shortage of players which has also been an issue in winter but no were near this scale,

most of the games played in summer were a mixter of 1st and 2nd team players, so the better standards go out the window.

if a large propotion of second team games get called off again this summer? would you still claim summer to be a success thus basing all your efforts on first team?

ps, looking forward to the Vote,

There are two issues here.
NCL First Team. As ive visited various clubs the general feedback has been favourable, in respect of playing and training conditions. Most cliub have had increased gate/bar takings and they have accepted that they have had to use reserves and youth players to make up the team numbers.
As it was the first year things should improve this season.

Second Teams. Yes there has been problems regarding lower amount of players available, some due to observations above, but also in yorkshire the leagues were a sham. Games poorly arranged and teams dropping out caused a lot of players to go missing. There again it was the first season and it can only get better.

Lets give it the 3 years trial before we all say its a disaster.

#78 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Why is Milford an exception.

#79 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

good effort being witty but that coming from someone who spells as bad as you :lol:

you want to see my hand writing , its even worse than my spelling, but just for you i will try harder in the future,

i would love to have a battle of wits with you but i feel it would be an unfair fight as you are clearly unarmed having to resort to personal insults :D

#80 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hmm chiefly that despite our obvious differences Del Capo is passionate like me about the future of RL in West Leeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users