Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How many Teams Will fail to Start/Complete Season?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#81 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

There are two issues here.
NCL First Team. As ive visited various clubs the general feedback has been favourable, in respect of playing and training conditions. Most cliub have had increased gate/bar takings and they have accepted that they have had to use reserves and youth players to make up the team numbers.
As it was the first year things should improve this season.

Second Teams. Yes there has been problems regarding lower amount of players available, some due to observations above, but also in yorkshire the leagues were a sham. Games poorly arranged and teams dropping out caused a lot of players to go missing. There again it was the first season and it can only get better.

Lets give it the 3 years trial before we all say its a disaster.

A bit more transparency prior to the vote taking place would have been nice,
we can loose a lot of players and admin staff in a there year period but we are stuck with it now anyway.

I feel to maintain standards people are underestimating the need for a strong 2nd team, if we can not keep the 2nd team playing its basic common sense that it will affect the first teams
Lets not forget the whole idea in moving to summer was to improve on standard

#82 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

This is the NCL forum.

Every fixture will be completed in this Competition in 2013.

If there is a debate to be had about Tier 4 teams , then take it elsewhere . The Community forum is probably more appropriate....

Arn't tier 4 teams part of the NCL entry criteria and what sbull is saying is true and the main reason we decided to play winter.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#83 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Arn't tier 4 teams part of the NCL entry criteria and what sbull is saying is true and the main reason we decided to play winter.

So are the under 8's .But we don't carp on about it.....

NCL is Tier 3 . You plainly are not. Take your forever winter argument elsewhere.

It should be on the Pennine forum , but didn't that get closed down? By all means take your issues onto the Community Board , but give us a break. The NCL is for most of the top 50 clubs in the community game and is rather looking forward to the start of the season this March.............

#84 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

So are the under 8's .But we don't carp on about it.....

NCL is Tier 3 . You plainly are not. Take your forever winter argument elsewhere.

It should be on the Pennine forum , but didn't that get closed down? By all means take your issues onto the Community Board , but give us a break. The NCL is for most of the top 50 clubs in the community game and is rather looking forward to the start of the season this March.............

Arn't I and others allowed to make comments on the NCL or has Sbull hit a soft underbelly pointing out that only the pro summer agrument got put forward. (Obviously this is only hearsay to me)

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abraham Lincoln

Edited by Marauder, 16 February 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#85 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

question, should rugby league as a sport be encouraged to spread its wings and try to encompass the whole of the uk at all levels encouraging participation and enjoyment of the game or should it be confined to 1 county ie yorkshire in the darkest deepest winter months?

i think some on here would prefer the 2nd option, and we wonder why the sport struggles to get national recognition.

a question well dodged. purposely or not, now thats another question.

#86 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Arn't I and others allowed to make comments on the NCL

In a nutshell, yes. You will also note that the NCL starts shortly in summer, irrespective of happenings in other seasons and other leagues, will you be able to manage to stay on topic and put your repetitive propaganda machine on hold?

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 17 February 2013 - 09:19 AM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#87 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

In a nutshell, yes. You will also note that the NCL starts shortly in summer, irrespective of happenings in other seasons and other leagues, will you be able to manage to stay on topic and put your repetitive propaganda machine on hold?

Ha ha, propaganda machine, well we had a democratic vote with the pro's and cons for both seasons put to us from a committee who had been involved in winter and summer rugby since 2004

I must add that the presentation was very fair for both seasons and highlighted the good and bad of both, what swung it in the favour of the traditional season was the fact that the summer had to many distractions.

I think you must agree that the NCL found last season the main bug bare was also other distractions; I’d like to point out that we never had a noticeable problem until our last two seasons simply because the problem of distractions didn't go away it became worse.

Edited by Marauder, 17 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#88 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

a question well dodged. purposely or not, now thats another question.

If you were to promote the game wouldn’t you stand a better chance of promoting a tried and tested method called winter that works
perfectly well for rugby union and football ?
are do you think it is better to promote summer rugby which isn't tried and tested ?

the professional game moved over to summer for sponsorship, what are we getting?

if summer rugby works so be it but nobody can come up with any solutions to the shortage of players most clubs have experienced.

#89 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

If you were to promote the game wouldn’t you stand a better chance of promoting a tried and tested method called winter that works
are do you think it is better to promote summer rugby which isn't tried and tested ?

the professional game moved over to summer for sponsorship, what are we getting?

if summer rugby works so be it but nobody can come up with any solutions to the shortage of players most clubs have experienced.

rugby league struggled in winter too to promote the game, standing still in winter an option or 'trying' another time of year ie 'summer' and see if it can be enhanced. maybe itll work maybe it wont, but yorkshire standing alone doesnt do the sport of rugby league any favours. this our league is bigger and better than your league is utter rubbish and doesnt do anyone any favours. rugby league was/is played 10 months of year, telling me that taking dec and jan out and adding june and july is that radical that in certain peoples eyes its destroying the sport i just cant believe. fair enough other events crop up in these couple of months but not on a weekly basis, and most times, apart from the odd wedding and family holiday id rather spend time at rugby than swanning about going to the coast, festivals and other tripe that certain people seem to want to do or just use as an excuse. fact is you either want to go/take part in rugby league as an interest or you dont. obviously its not a priority for some but for me it is, so i make time for other things/activies too, but put rugby league 1st.

#90 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

So after one full summer season at NCL you think it should be judged and decided if its good or bad.

The NCL agreed to give it 3 years, i think i 3 years we will know if its working or not by the players , if they dont like it they will go to Winter clubs or clubs will decide to switch back to Winter

Every big change in things has smalll problems but the NCL has more clubs now so i take that as a possitive but wether it works or not cannot be judged on one year

#91 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

So after one full summer season at NCL you think it should be judged and decided if its good or bad.

The NCL agreed to give it 3 years, i think i 3 years we will know if its working or not by the players , if they dont like it they will go to Winter clubs or clubs will decide to switch back to Winter

Every big change in things has smalll problems but the NCL has more clubs now so i take that as a possitive but wether it works or not cannot be judged on one year

The committee decided to give it three years I don’t think they informed all the members about the time scale

summer rugby has been around for years, and it isnt a new concept, i believe Marauner has expirence of both winter and summer, so should we not listen to his concernes
i dont see the demise of a great deal of 2nd teams a small problem, are you awere of how many games were called off last season.

i fully undertand your argument about giving it three years but we can loose a lot of good people in that time frame,

#92 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

The committee decided to give it three years I don’t think they informed all the members about the time scale

summer rugby has been around for years, and it isnt a new concept, i believe Marauner has expirence of both winter and summer, so should we not listen to his concernes
i dont see the demise of a great deal of 2nd teams a small problem, are you awere of how many games were called off last season.

i fully undertand your argument about giving it three years but we can loose a lot of good people in that time frame,

3 years was mentioned at the NCL meeting, Maurauder has had dealings with both but just because ti didnt work out for one club doesnt mean it will not for all others, also didnt Maurauders club play in summer for something like 7 years so it cant have been all bad.

Im not sure how many good players you think we will lose as i would presume a player would switch to a winter team if he disliked summer so much

#93 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

3 years was mentioned at the NCL meeting, Maurauder has had dealings with both but just because ti didnt work out for one club doesnt mean it will not for all others, also didnt Maurauders club play in summer for something like 7 years so it cant have been all bad.

Im not sure how many good players you think we will lose as i would presume a player would switch to a winter team if he disliked summer so much

No a good player will stick by his club and play when he can after he has put his family first which unfortunately means missing several games during the summer
which happend last summer will happen this summer and the summer after that.
and i didnt mean just loosing players, a lot of admin goes on in the back ground,

personally i missed more games this summer than the previous 20 winter seasons but i will continue to support my club through this trail period im just hoping that the clubs will vote to go back to winter

#94 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I packed in as secretary of a club when they went summer! I was anti-summer( we had dabbled with a summer team for years and I new it was wrong) we had voted to stay NWC, a vote was called again by members of the committee who had been in deep discussion with the NW RFL rep and all sorts of other teams where moving(even though their secretarys told me they weren't) and panic had in! The lads were cajolled by the most forcefull personalities to go summer and NWC collapsed like a pack of cards.I resigned immediatly! I actually have not missed it much, at the beginning granted, but I wouldn't go back now even if it went back to winter! And I bet I'm not the only one! I usually only read these forums, but decided to join and comment just this once as sbull and marauder are like shining beacons of sense in a somewhat murky sea of vice and corruption!

#95 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

What relevance have these shinings beacons got for someone who has turned his/her back on the game? If you can point me in the direction of the vice I may have a look before I am too old.

I wasn't happy when the game moved to summer but I haven't felt any pain and have taken it on board for the trial period, I don't watch as many games as I did but I still get my fix. As far as I can see your beacons post on here as part of a mutual posing society with garbage that has no relevance to the NCL.

#96 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

What relevance have these shinings beacons got for someone who has turned his/her back on the game? If you can point me in the direction of the vice I may have a look before I am too old.

I wasn't happy when the game moved to summer but I haven't felt any pain and have taken it on board for the trial period, I don't watch as many games as I did but I still get my fix. As far as I can see your beacons post on here as part of a mutual posing society with garbage that has no relevance to the NCL.

you wouldnt feel no pain if you only attend the odd game like you state, my comments are based on being able to attend every game which i can no longer do due to the switch,
if you only attend the odd game you musnt be up to speed with all that is now going wrong with it,
i also have taken it on board that we are in a three year trail so continue to support my club,

dont understand your comments that wishing we were still playing in winter has nothing to do with the NCL and all i state is garbish because i dont agree with your veiws

all my veiws will unfold over the next two seasons, if im wrong so be it but lets see how this seasons devolopes and how many games get called off,

#97 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I couldn't agree more with sbull, but for the change I would still be involved, maybe I am cutting my nose off to spite my face, my prerogative I'm afraid. I do believe rugby league is on the downward spiral, the people that run the game are incompetent! I now await more name calling and snide comments cause I don't agree with the so called mainstream, in the years I've read this forum I have noticed the said traits, I'm surprised del capo etc havn't had marauder etc banned as they did with boarder, everything he said has/is coming true, once a ref is probably the worst culprit for demonising people, typical keyboard warrior, goodbye, keep the faith sbull and marauder!!

Edited by one shot, 18 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#98 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

We did attract players from other winter clubs, football clubs, Union clubs and ex players, but after a few seasons once the newness had wore off, the numbers started to dwindle on match days, we still managed to get numbers at training.

Maybe the player problem was because most players looked at the winter as the priority season.

#99 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

When/If BARLA sort out a National division (ego's & RFL getting in the way) to give the standard of competition desired then maybe after 3 seasons and a vote (I doubt a fair vote will be given and I'll bet the NCL Committee will be like a working mans club concert chairman asking for one more year or the RFL will suddenly find some more dosh) the clubs not happy with summer will trickle back.

#100 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

you wouldnt feel no pain if you only attend the odd game like you state,
if you only attend the odd game

No, I didn't say I only attend the odd game, I said " I don't watch as many games as I did but I still get my fix" As I said earlier I would prefer winter but since the teams I watch now play in summer so be it. If at the end of the trial the NCL stays in summer I will cope without tantrum but with disappointment, I won't turn my back on the game. Posting repetetive whinges isn't bolstering your campaign, if people are undecided you may just push them in the wrong direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users