Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

1,200 people killed by neglect

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

The Mid Staffs NHS report and its recommendations make emotional, then sobering reading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-21341766
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

the debate is currently on Sky 504

Nor is there any mention in the recommendations of Martin Yeates, the Trust’s chief executive, or Cynthia Bower, who was chief executive of the West Midlands Strategic Health Authority and went on to become head of the health regulator the Care Quality Commission.

In the debate there was frequent reference to the habit of recycling people like this. You know, the ones who from failure to failure trousering £200,000 each time they pass go,

Edited by JohnM, 06 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

We have seen many failings over the past years including that of the Financial Services Authority, Social Services etc and now this. Who regulates the regulators and those at the top?

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? as Juvenal wrote in his Satires.

They'd not go far wrong if it was me and thee ! :)

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

In the debate there was frequent reference to the habit of recycling people like this. You know, the ones who from failure to failure trousering £200,000 each time they pass go,

A good friend of mine is a very senior IT manager at a top investment bank. He was moaning about the quality of project managers on the market, I suggested to him that he look outside of the narrow investment banking industry as, after all, an IT project manager is an IT project manager regardless of industry. He looked at me as if I had suggested he gargle acid. It's the same in many of these other industries, they never look outside of their narrow niche market as it's bluntly obvious that no-one without narrow experience can ever do the job.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

yes, and these days when recruiting you have to find someone who has already filled the role somewhere else.

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't just focus on the management here - although, do ask questions there. This is top to bottom issues. This is nursing care that left people lying in **** - not because they were understaffed but because they chose not to care. This is doctors that didn't do their job and cost people their lives.

Yes, managers should be getting more than stern words for this but there are people on the front line who will be allowed to hide behind the failings of others and that is wrong.

(Enter somebody telling me that no frontline person in the NHS has ever done anything neglectful unless the system made them ...)

EDIT
Five more to be investigated immediately: Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust, Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Edited by gingerjon, 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Don't just focus on the management here - although, do ask questions there. This is top to bottom issues. This is nursing care that left people lying in **** - not because they were understaffed but because they chose not to care. This is doctors that didn't do their job and cost people their lives.

Yes, managers should be getting more than stern words for this but there are people on the front line who will be allowed to hide behind the failings of others and that is wrong.

(Enter somebody telling me that no frontline person in the NHS has ever done anything neglectful unless the system made them ...)

One of the issues with the enquiries into this is the role of the health professionals including doctors, who decided not to give evidence. Of course giving evidence that might include questioning of the action, or otherwise, taken by individuals could mean that professionals implicate themselves and could suffer professional and reputational damage and even the loss of their registration to practice and their livelihood.

See also the Winterbourne View scandal and enquiry for this and the lack of involvement of psychiatrists and the absence of a forensic examination of how they fulfilled their responsibilities under the Mental Health Act for the welfare of the detained patients with a learning disability who were treated appallingly.

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

EDIT
Five more to be investigated immediately: Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust, Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust.

You are bang on the money jon

Front line staff are responsible for what they at the coal face.

If a doctor gives out a bad prescription (i.e. wrong dosage of a medicine) the nurse who administers it is the one responsible and held up for judgment. Many do not realise they are responsible for their actions and believe in the old doctrine of 'I was just following orders'.

Edited by Padge, 06 February 2013 - 11:04 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

What's wrong with the NHS, is the management and the type of career obsessed low life that it attracts/encourages. Whats meant to be a vocational career is now full of number crunching ####.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

What's wrong with the NHS, is the management and the type of career obsessed low life that it attracts/encourages. Whats meant to be a vocational career is now full of number crunching ####.

Surely you can't associate this bloke with that sort of performance and attitude.

http://www.dailymail...-lifestyle.html

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Scary thing is, other hospitals had a worse death rates than the Mid Staffs....
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Horse meat more important it would seem.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

You are bang on the money jon

Front line staff are responsible for what they at the coal face.

If a doctor gives out a bad prescription (i.e. wrong dosage of a medicine) the nurse who administers it is the one responsible and held up for judgment. Many do not realise they are responsible for their actions and believe in the old doctrine of 'I was just following orders'.

Of course if the doctor has been working a 14-hour shift then mistakes will happen. Blame the system that forces doctors to work very long hours not the doctor.

Or that the doctor has only been allocated thirty second per patient and doesn't have time to ask all the questions that they would like to.

Edited by Northern Sol, 10 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

EDIT

That would unrealistic. Clearly that does sometimes happen. But not nearly as often as system failures whereby very many people were supposed to do an aspect of their job but weren't able to for one reason or another (usually time pressure). Usually at least one person in the chain will realise that something has gone wrong and flag it up but if all ten (or so) miss it then somebody can die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users