#1 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2K8WrK4ya

:(
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#2 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Good luck to him if he goes.

I expect he will go well and enjoy changing the docks of Hull for the surf beaches of the Shire!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yeah good luck to him. Think he'll make a real go of it..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Would be nice to see more of our backs in the NRL.....,they clearly rate our forwards but backs not so much these days....

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

With Tomkins potentially going over in the next couple of years, we really will have 2/3rds of a potential England team playing in the NRL..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

It'll be interesting to see how he performs this season nevermind next, Eastmond creeps into mind.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

With Tomkins potentially going over in the next couple of years, we really will have 2/3rds of a potential England team playing in the NRL..

So we get to watch the "second string" in Super League!
Time we did something about raising the SC I think - I want to see Briscoe, Tomkins etc playing here every week - not in Aus! :(

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Tobias Smollett

Joe E Lewis

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Time we did something about raising the SC I think - I want to see Briscoe, Tomkins etc playing here every week - not in Aus! :(

While completely agreeing with you, it is interesting how being directly affected hardens opinions. Once every team has lost a top player or 2, perhaps we'll get a consensus to increase it, or have a marquee player exemption...

#9 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I say let the aussies pay our better players (keeping them in RL) and we develop new English/British players increasing our International player pool. Win win in my opinion.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#10 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

He's chosen a fin time to join the Sharks. :unsure:

#11 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Very good ;) :D

Sir Winston Churchill

Tobias Smollett

Joe E Lewis

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I thought he was already at the Sharks...
(It's ok for me to say it!)
Posted Image

#13 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Do football fans in the Czech Republic stop going due to their league having inferior players to the EP/La Liga etc?

No. Enjoy the games regardless of who is playing for the teams and be glad in the knowledge that our boys are mixing it in the NRl thus improving the national sides chances

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

No doubt he'll snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a few games.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#15 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Do football fans in the Czech Republic stop going due to their league having inferior players to the EP/La Liga etc?

No. Enjoy the games regardless of who is playing for the teams and be glad in the knowledge that our boys are mixing it in the NRl thus improving the national sides chances

Would teams in the Czech Republic receive more attention if they not only contained their own world class players, but others too?

Hope he has a good time out there and it is better for England rep wise, but will the player drain ever reach a point where any big name sooner or later gets hoovered up?

#16 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Seems to me that the SC is bringing SL down to the lower common denominator rather than trying to keep the bar rising.
I was in favour as the promise of boom & bust was made - unfortunately, it hasn't improved yet the loss of quality players to RU & NRL has increased.

Time for a rethink?

Sir Winston Churchill

Tobias Smollett

Joe E Lewis

#17 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

No doubt he'll snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a few games.

Hull should mako the best of him while he is still with them.

#18 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I say let the aussies pay our better players (keeping them in RL) and we develop new English/British players increasing our International player pool. Win win in my opinion.

Good call. Frees up salary cap at Hull to pay the next star a few more quid and keeps him in the game. More England players in the NRL = a better England team = more (some!!) international success = more income = raised salary cap = more players staying in Super League.

#19 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

No. Simply raise the cap and the top teams pull away, reducing fan and investor interest across the board.

The secret is to realign the league so that not a penny of cap space goes to waste (as at present). SL can then slowly look to raise itself to NRL levels of support and investment and potentially raise the cap then. Until then we'll have to accept a bit of a pedigree player drain to NRL, which got its house in order years ago.

We reap what we sow. We wanted a SL made up of existing (failing) sides and we can't have it both ways. NRL has 16 teams with big fan bases all capable of paying up to a huge cap. Our aim has to be to achieve that and there will be some pain in the process. It will also take many years.

If we had 14 or more teams all with good sized fan bases and investment then some of those 14 could have been in the offing to raise Tom's income without damaging the competitive balance of the league. But we don't so good luck to him in Oz.

#20 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

DSK the problem though is that, since it hasn't moved with inflation since it was introduced the salary cap is effectively a third less than it was when it was introduced.

Do you agree that the cap should now be increased annually with inflation?

At what point do we stop lowering the cap every year and either freeze it ( by linking it to inflation) or raise it slightly. The money from sky has gone up, the clubs are charging more on the gates, when can the players expect their earnings to increase with inflation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users