Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tom Briscoe going to Cronulla

Bah!!!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

DSK the problem though is that, since it hasn't moved with inflation since it was introduced the salary cap is effectively a third less than it was when it was introduced.

Do you agree that the cap should now be increased annually with inflation?

At what point do we stop lowering the cap every year and either freeze it ( by linking it to inflation) or raise it slightly. The money from sky has gone up, the clubs are charging more on the gates, when can the players expect their earnings to increase with inflation?

The cap should only be increased when all clubs can afford to pay it (inflation or not).

Players can increase their earnings by moving to teams lower down the food chain with gaps in their cap spend (should they want them and be able to afford it) as happens in the US sports and presumably NRL. The problem is that we don't have those clubs. But stacking our pedigree players on the same few teams neither helps the league nor said players' development. Brisoce won't get better by running in 4 tries against Cas or London most weeks but he also deserves his pay rise. SL can make a panicky decision to raise the cap or it can hold its nerve and deliver us an NRL in 10 years. Slow and steady wins this race.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Time for a rethink?

Not really, if it's his ambition. We let the Burgii go because that's what they wanted to do.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

The cap should only be increased when all clubs can afford to pay it (inflation or not).

The cap has reduced by a third and some teams still can't pay up to it! How much more do we reduce it? We seem to be close to the point where the NRL and Union look at us as a cheap way to develop players. If all the stars are playing elsewhere there is no reason for Sky to pay as much. Then we'll be in to a downward spiral. the quality of the product on the pitch.

Players can increase their earnings by moving to teams lower down the food chain with gaps in their cap spend (should they want them and be able to afford it) as happens in the US sports and presumably NRL. The problem is that we don't have those clubs. But stacking our pedigree players on the same few teams neither helps the league nor said players' development. Brisoce won't get better by running in 4 tries against Cas or London most weeks but he also deserves his pay rise. SL can make a panicky decision to raise the cap or it can hold its nerve and deliver us an NRL in 10 years. Slow and steady wins this race.

We are going to be semi-pro in 10 years at the rate we're going. I don't think increasing the cap with inflation can be classed as panicky.

But I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that one.

#24 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Can't wait to see him in the NRL. Not bothered if the best SL players go to the NRL I get too see them either way and its only going to strengthen the international side.

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

The cap has reduced by a third and some teams still can't pay up to it! How much more do we reduce it? We seem to be close to the point where the NRL and Union look at us as a cheap way to develop players. If all the stars are playing elsewhere there is no reason for Sky to pay as much. Then we'll be in to a downward spiral. the quality of the product on the pitch.

We are going to be semi-pro in 10 years at the rate we're going. I don't think increasing the cap with inflation can be classed as panicky.

But I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that one.

These are just my thoughts and I'm certainly not an accountant, but if we are having teams in financial trouble now with the present salary cap, Salford, Bradford, Crusaders, Wakefield and maybe others, how will increasing the salary cap help stabilise that. It would be good for those few teams who can afford it but then we would have a more unequal league than we have now with all the top talent going to the top three or four profitable teams.

I take your point about players going elsewhere RU, NRL but if the SL clubs cannot afford to pay them, what is the alternative. If the money is not there the money is not there. It's no good keeping sending clubs into bankruptcy paying players money they do not have.

#26 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I agree more with your thoughts Keighley but the problem is that all sports are having similar problems. And what of the 10 years unprecedented boom before the current recession, why didn't the salary cap move during that era?

At the end of the day a business is a business whether its HMV, Virgin Media, or Bradford Bulls. They generally go bust because management haven't balanced the books and grown the business (I accept I'm over simplifying but I really don't want to write an essay on business practices and I'm pretty sure you don't want to read it)

#27 brooza

brooza
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

or have a marquee player exemption...

we already have one. £100k on to of the salary cap for an England international, I believe

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I agree more with your thoughts Keighley but the problem is that all sports are having similar problems. And what of the 10 years unprecedented boom before the current recession, why didn't the salary cap move during that era?

At the end of the day a business is a business whether its HMV, Virgin Media, or Bradford Bulls. They generally go bust because management haven't balanced the books and grown the business (I accept I'm over simplifying but I really don't want to write an essay on business practices and I'm pretty sure you don't want to read it)

Yes, the game is between a rock and a hard place. On the wider view you brought up, I think RU is staring down the abyss also and soccer is not completely safe, big as it is. At some point all these sports are going to have to balance their books. It took the USA a long time to catch up with the rest of the world but now, even there, the budget deficits are just too big and action is having to be taken.

The next few years will definitely be interesting.

#29 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Can't wait to see him in the NRL. Not bothered if the best SL players go to the NRL I get too see them either way and its only going to strengthen the international side.

I may be old fashioned, but prefer to see em in the flesh rather than on tele!
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I may be old fashioned, but prefer to see em in the flesh rather than on tele!

I agree but don't have a SL club within a 90 minute drive so seeing a SL game is a rarity. I do love watching English players in the NRL makes the games very interesting as I want them to do well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users