League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

dual reg players bad idea or not your views ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ramstieidie

ramstieidie
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

dual reg players bad idea or not ?

#2 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

good in theory.

Cummins Out.

#3 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hunslet got 2 new dual regs for this weekend Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hunslet got 2 new dual regs for this weekend Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore

Dualing (or duelling) with the dark side must be a real inner conflict for you guys - like watching the mother in law drive over a cliff in you're new BMW. I'd say if those two, plus keinhorst become regulars, you ain't going to struggle this season. Still think it' s the thin end of a b loody big wedge for the championship though. :wacko:

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Dualing (or duelling) with the dark side must be a real inner conflict for you guys - like watching the mother in law drive over a cliff in you're new BMW. I'd say if those two, plus keinhorst become regulars, you ain't going to struggle this season. Still think it' s the thin end of a b loody big wedge for the championship though. :wacko:

They'd be relegated due to breaking the salary cap.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

dual reg players bad idea or not ?

It depends!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

It depends!

On what ?

#8 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Bad idea

would rather have young players coming thru
going on to super league.
rather than been used by super league as somewhere convienient to loan players as a money saving ploy.

we had gathered a promising collection of lads
this season....how many here are at the season
will show if duel reg has worked or not

#9 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

It will kill the credibility of the Championship which prior to this was a very good competition.We saw last weekend with Swinton contriving to facilitate the playing of three established Super League stars in the team to play Workington.Five previously registered Drs were afforded permanent deals although it later transpired that they could be loanded back to the partner club if agreed.The RFL needs to amend the rules so that the proper objectives of the DR system are clarified.

#10 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

If its used properly I think it's a good idea. By properly I mean DR young uns not first teamers and DR for injuries etc. Im more worried about where the current system is heading than teams DR ing SL first teamers I think it's a slippy slope that clubs may not be able to climb back up especially when these clubs that are DR ing the players are our so called rich teams I wonder if eventually Leeds and wire will buy hunslet and swinton and turn them into their reserve squads? I know it isn't aloud to happen at the minute and it maybe a bit far fetched but I can honestly see it happening further down the line we might end up with a SL reserve league.

#11 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,972 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Bad idea

would rather have young players coming thru
going on to super league.
rather than been used by super league as somewhere convienient to loan players as a money saving ploy.

we had gathered a promising collection of lads
this season....how many here are at the season
will show if duel reg has worked or not

got to go wi coolie on this one.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

On what ?

Many things.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I thought Hood and Singleton were good for us and good for them last season, so if done properly agree with Thundergaz. Remember Hood saying it was a step up from SLreserves and Singleton helped fill the gap left by Fozzards retirement and has moved onto SL albeit with Trinity.

But this season it is becoming farcical, DRing whole squads, Swinton situation is ludicrous and long term cannot see it being good for Swinton. But no doubt come the end of this season, the rules will be tightened up and this stopped.

With due respect to Fev neither do I think clubs spending unsustainable amounts of money trying to gain SL status is good for CC. What will happen to two of the three clubs who won't get in? Thought the whole point of licences was to stop clubs overspending trying to get promoted.

Sunday's result a foregone conclusion before a ball os kicked based on Fev playing budget being 5x or 10x that of the Rams. Is this any less of a farce? Is having a sugar daddy' part of SL entry criteria?

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 06 February 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#14 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

They'd be relegated due to breaking the salary cap.

Would they though?

#15 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I thought Hood and Singleton were good for us and good for them last season, so if done properly agree with Thundergaz. Remember Hood saying it was a step up from SLreserves and Singleton helped fill the gap left by Fozzards retirement and has moved onto SL albeit with Trinity.

But this season it is becoming farcical, DRing whole squads, Swinton situation is ludicrous and long term cannot see it being good for Swinton. But no doubt come the end of this season, the rules will be tightened up and this stopped.

With due respect to Fev neither do I think clubs spending unsustainable amounts of money trying to gain SL status is good for CC. What will happen to two of the three clubs who won't get in? Thought the whole point of licences was to stop clubs overspending trying to get promoted.

Sunday's result a foregone conclusion before a ball os kicked based on Fev playing budget being 5x or 10x that of the Rams. Is this any less of a farce? Is having a sugar daddy' part of SL entry criteria?

It's the same for SL though four are big spenders and the rest get the scraps. But we could of done a Widnes ticked a box and said stuff it. You can't please everyone no matter what you do.

#16 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

BSJ you said in pre season we hadn't recruited well this season do you still feel the same? Wish you were a bookie 😄😄😄

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

BSJ you said in pre season we hadn't recruited well this season do you still feel the same? Wish you were a bookie

Did I say "well" or "many"? I don't remember.

If the DR pans out as many are fearing then recruitment may become less important as the season progresses. maybe you should have recruited a SL partner (or maybe not).

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Would they though?

Well according to the rules they should be. Whether anyone who breaks these rules is subjected to such punishments is not for any of us lesser mortals to say.

As far as the salary cap is concerned there are strictly laid down criteria for how much each DR player who makes a first team appearance will "cost" the championship club for that appearance, so I expect these criteria to have been created for some purpose.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

The original concept of a Championship club being a bit short of cover in a certain position and then taking a up and coming young lad who plays in that position from a SL team was, IMO, a good idea. It was to everyones benefit, the Championship club got an additional body, the player gained valuable match time playing at a decent level and the SL club could watch their player develop and see if he would make the grade. That was fine when clubs took 1 or 2 players maximum from a club, and could take them from whichever club they reached agreement with.

Now that it has been changed so that players can only be taken from the SL club that the Championship club is partnered with then this in effect means that the SL club holds all the aces. It may well be that the Championship coach doesn't fancy any of that particular SL clubs young players for a particular position and he is prevented from recruiting from another SL club.

I feel the rules will need to be looked at, if after this sunday's match, it is found that 2 of the Hunslet props who must have played ok last sunday are replaced by the 2 Rhinos players who are recovering from injury. If an age limit is not to be brought in, then perhaps a minimum period when the player has to remain with the Championship club should be considered.

#20 landy13

landy13
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think there are pro's and cons to it, as with most things

Rugby league is a spectator sport and an entertainment product - if it helps get people paying money to come through the gate then that has to be a good thing. If it does has yet to be seen though?
I also think that the young lads coming through championship clubs can learn and develop playing and training with guys who have been there and done it

The real down side I can see is that because of the short termism of the players availability, teams could lose out on a play off spot etc because they lose a game they may have otherwise won if the dual reg'ers hadn't played against them? be interesting at the end of the season to see who misses out
www.matchdayphotography.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users