League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

dual reg players bad idea or not your views ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

They'd be relegated due to breaking the salary cap.

Moore was vert much a fringe player last year, leuluai doesn't look quite good enough for a top four SL outfit, and keinhorst is already turning out for hunslet, so I would imagine they are affordable. Let's be realistic for a minute though, hunslet won't be getting ryan atkins under any circumstances any more than we will get jarrad sammutt. So why double reg them in the first place ( I assume hunslet will eventually go down the same road as us). If this farce has to happen, why don't the league publish the hire value of every SL squad member so the figures are transparent, and dual reg every hireable player with every Championship club - that way we can get the players we need to fill a position instead of what we are offered by one club. I still firmly believe there should be a minimum availability of one month to make the arrangement worthwhile.

#22 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Would they though?

If barrow did in 2011 then yes
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#23 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I think there are pro's and cons to it, as with most things

Rugby league is a spectator sport and an entertainment product - if it helps get people paying money to come through the gate then that has to be a good thing. If it does has yet to be seen though?
I also think that the young lads coming through championship clubs can learn and develop playing and training with guys who have been there and done it

The real down side I can see is that because of the short termism of the players availability, teams could lose out on a play off spot etc because they lose a game they may have otherwise won if the dual reg'ers hadn't played against them? be interesting at the end of the season to see who misses out

The option is open to all clubs. If you lose out at the end of the season because your club wants to make a stand, so be it. As much as a lot of supporters/clubs don't agree with it, it's happening. RL clubs are a business just like any other. Move with the times or perish!

#24 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Well according to the rules they should be. Whether anyone who breaks these rules is subjected to such punishments is not for any of us lesser mortals to say.

As far as the salary cap is concerned there are strictly laid down criteria for how much each DR player who makes a first team appearance will "cost" the championship club for that appearance, so I expect these criteria to have been created for some purpose.

My point is that the 'values' assigned to these DR players is actually pitifully low. I'd guess the 2 Leeds props are in to £50-100Kpa category meaning that if both played in every league game it would only count as £52k against Hunslet's salary cap. Now, I haven't seen this year's salary cap rules but if it's a straight max of £300k then I'd doubt Hunslet are spending over £248k meaning they could actually play them in every league game.

#25 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Dont agree with Dual Reg at all, but thought it was a bit rich of the Fev coach to start casting aspercions . Fev might not have a link up, they dont need one. They just nick everbody elses better players, as we know to our cost. If we had the funds to recruit everybody else's best players at the end of each season we probably wouldnt bother with it. Ceratinly Glen is doing more to bring young English players on than a certain D Powell.

#26 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

...If this farce has to happen, why don't the league publish the hire value of every SL squad member so the figures are transparent, ...

They have. Basically a sliding scale dependent on the player's salary at the SL club. Can't remember all the figures but £100k+ is £1500 per game and I think £50-100k is £1000 per game.

#27 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

They have. Basically a sliding scale dependent on the player's salary at the SL club. Can't remember all the figures but £100k+ is £1500 per game and I think £50-100k is £1000 per game.

Fair do'es then. Wonder how many SL clubs will put give lower contracts but increased match terms to players to get round the salary cap. Point is though, if clubs can't afford the top players without breaking the cap (assuming there was a cat in hells chance they'd be given the option), why are they registering entire squads - doesn't make sense unless we have the scenario where SL club with nothing to play for either saves it's affiliated club from relegation or helps it to win a trophy by donating it's best players - and some championship clubs will risk financial ruin to do just that.

#28 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Says in today's Bradford Telegraph & Argus that we might be getting Adrian Purtell on loan subject to clearance from Border Agency.The joys of our link up with the Bulls.

#29 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Says in today's Bradford Telegraph & Argus that we might be getting Adrian Purtell on loan subject to clearance from Border Agency.The joys of our link up with the Bulls.

If that's true, I might allow myself a modicum of hypocrisy. ;)

#30 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

If that's true, I might allow myself a modicum of hypocrisy. ;)

I'm still agin it though unless it's long term.

#31 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

We dont need Purtill, rather see our new season loanee Lucas Walshaw given a chance( comes now instead of annakin)!! Cracking player built at 6.5... MOTM for donny in their grandfinal last season against barrow i do believe.. Guna be a right player for us :D

#32 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Wev also got steve nash from cas... another big prop for a months loan until ben jones is back fit..

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 08 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#33 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wev also got steve nash from cas... another big prop for a months loan until ben jones is back fit..

All well and good but we are already well off for forwards - can' t say the same for backs and if memory serves me correct purtill has done the business for several NRL clubs. Sorry but for me a proven SL centre is a better bet than a wakey academy player who did ok for donny in ch1.

#34 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Dual registrating sounds good in theory, and is to be used in the right way, only difference it has to loaning is that the player can be recalled back to their parent club, if I'm correct. If the loaning of Adrian Purtill does happen, which it most likely won't, then I can see why we have done it, because all the young lads we have signed will need an experienced player to calm them down in a tough situation.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#35 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

You wont be getting him, and it will be same for Kyle Leuluai going to Hunslet, It is a breach of there visa conditions. They basically cant have two employers on the visa's they have.

#36 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

A this rate, we will be needing press releases every day, understand why GM is doing it, but it is becoming a farce.

Glad that Aussies/NZ players are excluded from DR, at least this will means it is only GB players.

#37 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hes only doing what nearly every other coach or team are doing and at least hes going for the long termers.Lets not forget his jobs to get results thats what hes paid to do.Tell you what its starting to look a decent squad bet Fev want this game played now instead of a few weeks down the line.

#38 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hes only doing what nearly every other coach or team are doing and at least hes going for the long termers.Lets not forget his jobs to get results thats what hes paid to do.Tell you what its starting to look a decent squad bet Fev want this game played now instead of a few weeks down the line.

Why now and not in a few weeks time? You signing half the bulls team on or sumat?

#39 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Why now and not in a few weeks time? You signing half the bulls team on or sumat?

Yeah - that would make it ex rams v ex bulls give or take. B)

#40 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Because i think with a couple more games under there belt this team will be develope into a decent side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users