Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore in Hunslets squad to face Leigh on sunday.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

So Leeds are forcing Hunslet to take these two players? That doesn't seem to have been a very sensible agreement for the Hunslet bosses to have signed, but then maybe Gary Hetherington held a gun to their head to make them sign?

It's Hunslet's choice. Fev chose not to go down the route of dual registration. Hunslet did.

Probably because it is detrimental for a club like Fev building to SL, to play these one-off Leeds players

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I gather there was an RFL meeting today. I wonder if this subject was even raised?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 raiderboy

raiderboy
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Question for supportors of whats going on with D/R

Barrow need to raise 100k to replace flood lights or be relegated, so whole club is focused on this people giving up lots of time to try are manage it. So club being very careful with money (like every one). As a result we were always going to be a risk of relegation due to our league position, the current use of D/R has made this all the more likley to occur.

So we have a club who have to improve the ground so that we can have one televised games a year in a ground that can hold 4,500, should the working people who watch barrow give their hard earned cash when even if successful have a very good chance of being relegated?

p.s. Lets not look back at what we have done wrong in the past please

#24 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

So Leeds are forcing Hunslet to take these two players? That doesn't seem to have been a very sensible agreement for the Hunslet bosses to have signed, but then maybe Gary Hetherington held a gun to their head to make them sign?

It's Hunslet's choice. Fev chose not to go down the route of dual registration. Hunslet did.

I was simply pointing out the difference between this arrangement and the loan Wellsy was offering as a comparison.

Might be interesting to know why Hunslet's view of how this was going to work has changed so dramatically in the last couple of weeks though...

#25 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Question for supportors of whats going on with D/R

Barrow need to raise 100k to replace flood lights or be relegated, so whole club is focused on this people giving up lots of time to try are manage it. So club being very careful with money (like every one). As a result we were always going to be a risk of relegation due to our league position, the current use of D/R has made this all the more likley to occur.

So we have a club who have to improve the ground so that we can have one televised games a year in a ground that can hold 4,500, should the working people who watch barrow give their hard earned cash when even if successful have a very good chance of being relegated?

p.s. Lets not look back at what we have done wrong in the past please

floodlights and summer rugby
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#26 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

It was only a metter of time before Richard Moore's name was mentioned in Hunslets squad. Forwards need game time.
He's probably behind Peacock, Kirke, Bailey, Griffin and Leuluai so needs to be kept match fit.
I wonder how last weeks props are feeling now after a good win vs Barrow?

Don't Hunslet have forwards that need game time?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#27 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

I hate to say I told you so but I did and was shouted down fir it.

You were talking about Towns link up, ironically we used It in the right way this weekend.

#28 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Exactly.
Presumably (without going to find this weeks LE) Hunslet had 4 props in their 17, 2 of whom from a winning side are going to be 'rested' or something. Or are Hunslet short of props?

#29 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I seems to me that the common theme amongst fans of the twinned clubs is the fear of relegation which I can understand. No one would want to be in the basement division.

If, as seems possible, the sport introduces two divisions of ten at SL level presumably there would only be one division below and no up or down for the DR partnered clubs. Im really interested to know whether you fans who agree with this system now would continue to be happy with it given that scenario?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 06 February 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#30 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Probably, but this isn't about what's best for Hunslet or for that matter Rugby League!

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I seems to me that the common theme amongst fans of the twinned clubs is the fear of relegation which I can understand. No one would want to be in the basement division.

If, as seems possible, the sport introduces two divisions of ten at SL level presumably there would only be one division below and no up or down for the DR partnered clubs. Im really interested to know whether you fans who agree with this system now would continue to be happy with it given that scenario?

We now have a division of several serious SL applicants playing against SL "A" teams?

Is that tenable anymore?

If it is to go 2 x 10 add the independant CC clubs to the current SL clubs and you get 20 "proper" clubs

Leaving a third division of death anyway?

HOWEVER have they made the move to "survive" only to be condemned to a third tier??

Doubt it Terry.

Would the dual reg clubs who aimed to stay out of division three would end up making a division 3

Seriously doubt that unless their chairmen are completely in the dark as regards the future.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 February 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#32 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

We now have a division of several serious SL applicants playing against SL "A" teams?

Is that tenable anymore?

If it is to go 2 x 10 add the independant CC clubs to the current SL clubs and you get 20 "proper" clubs

Leaving a third division of death anyway?

HOWEVER have they made the move to "survive" only to be condemned to a third tier??

Doubt it Terry.

Would the dual reg clubs who aimed to stay out of division three would end up making a division 3

Seriously doubt that unless their chairmen are completely in the dark as regards the future.

Sorry Parky but I'm not sure about the point you're making here. If the 20 SL club scenario materialises there will inevitably be a third division presumably without automatic P & R won't there? Or, are you saying that there won't be a third division and they'll become reserve sides?

I'd still like to know the what the views of the fans who are currently for the DR system would be given the possible 'one division' scenario arising.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#33 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

It's about time the RFL grew a pair and put some rules to these feeder clubs systems. They should have a maximum age of 23 no one over 23 can be DR. A maximum of 4 or 5 players. But I guess the RFL knew this was going to happen and they are happy that the Leeds and wires of this world are prospering from it because they are the heart and soul of our game apparently.

totally agree it is the same as last week when swinton were allowed to use 2 international forwards from warrington, whilst workington fielded their own team plus young declan hulme from widnes. now that is what dual registration means to me!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Sorry Parky but I'm not sure about the point you're making here. If the 20 SL club scenario materialises there will inevitably be a third division presumably without automatic P & R won't there? Or, are you saying that there won't be a third division and they'll become reserve sides?

I'd still like to know the what the views of the fans who are currently for the DR system would be given the possible 'one division' scenario arising.

On last years standings a 10 club second division of SL would be:-

Salford
London
Castleford
Widnes
Featherstone
Leigh
Halifax
Sheffield
Batley
Toulouse (sorry Mr. Keighley you miss the cut again)

So all the DR/Feeder/"A"teams like Dewsbury, Hunslet, Oldham, Rochdale, Donny, Barrow, Keighley, York, Swinton, Workington, Whitehaven would end up in a third tier of the game.

Their chairman all clambered for the tie ups with SL clubs because they did not want to end up in a third tier and die.

So if 10 x 2 Superleague WAS on the cards these clubs would most likely be excluded anyway, and that's the point allied to an idea that as the RFL are reviewing league structure and these clubs are members, and their chairmen must be in the know, it would not be beyond reason to think that 2x10 is probably not going to happen and thus the clamour to be tied in with SL clubs as these chairmen will not want to be relegated to join such as Gloucester university.

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Probably, but this isn't about what's best for Hunslet or for that matter Rugby League!

By definition what's best for Superleague is best for Rugby League. We debated at length about the importance of Superleague to the game.

We hardly have an international scene or any domestic depth that underpins the game.

Superleague like it or not or loath it or detest it etc IS Rugby League to paying fans, sponsors, rich investors and the TV and associated media.

#36 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's about time the RFL grew a pair and put some rules to these feeder clubs systems. They should have a maximum age of 23 no one over 23 can be DR. A maximum of 4 or 5 players.

I can't fault that suggestion....

#37 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sorry to muck your plans up Parky but who did Barrow and Keighley tie up with, I must have missed them? Aren't Batley tied in with the Giants as well?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#38 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Sorry to muck your plans up Parky but who did Barrow and Keighley tie up with, I must have missed them? Aren't Batley tied in with the Giants as well?

Barrow have no tie. Keighley are announcing a tie up today with Cas apparently. You're quite right about Batley, they've already tied with the Giants.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Keighley are Castleford, sort of announced today.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

So all the DR/Feeder/"A"teams like Dewsbury, Hunslet, Oldham, Rochdale, Donny, Barrow, Keighley, York, Swinton, Workington, Whitehaven would end up in a third tier of the game.

Their chairman all clambered for the tie ups with SL clubs because they did not want to end up in a third tier and die.

How are Barrow a feeder club, we don't have any other teams players registered in our squad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users