Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore in Hunslets squad to face Leigh on sunday.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I didn't know about any Keighley tie up until this minute but I guess the fear of relegation is driving it. I don't agree with it and I think the fan base will not either and will melt away to the non existent levels the club was at pre Cougarmania. I think it could well end up with the club's demise and extinction, which would suit many, but in my mind would lose a decent sized area to the game of RL. No fans will travel to Bradford.

I hope I am wrong.

#42 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Their chairman all clambered for the tie ups with SL clubs because they did not want to end up in a third tier and die.

So if 10 x 2 Superleague WAS on the cards these clubs would most likely be excluded anyway, and that's the point allied to an idea that as the RFL are reviewing league structure and these clubs are members, and their chairmen must be in the know, it would not be beyond reason to think that 2x10 is probably not going to happen and thus the clamour to be tied in with SL clubs as these chairmen will not want to be relegated to join such as Gloucester university.

Maybe Parky, but I think having their wages bill cut by around a third might have been a major factor in their decision.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

How are Barrow a feeder club, we don't have any other teams players registered in our squad?

Just a slip Kid, of course Barrow are Independant. keighley were Independant last night (but not tonight)

You still have a chance with HKR IIRC Rovers legend Phil Hogan moved from Barrow many years ago?

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Just a slip Kid, of course Barrow are Independant. keighley were Independant last night (but not tonight)

You still have a chance with HKR IIRC Rovers legend Phil Hogan moved from Barrow many years ago?

Christ, hell of a trek.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

No fans will travel to Bradford.

I hope I am wrong.

Why? Are you putting up roadblocks?

Fans travel miles to see clubs, why do you go against all logic and reason and state with no evidence at all that the good people of Keighley and district will not be attracted to Superleague and the Bulls.

#46 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oh hell, keep us out of it. I've already heard enough Bull bashing in random threads, Keighley the forumer, hates us and I for one couldn't give a #### and sure as heck don't care to hear about it again.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Christ, hell of a trek.

We had a full back called Geoff Nicholls who was a tremendous young player who ousted county (and later Leeds) full back David Marshall and he went to Barrow when Keith Jarrett was there and they had some money.

I think certain players may have been prepared to move house for the better money and maybe a job with a directors company, many of those lads will have lived in council houses and been able to get similar elsewhere??.

#48 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Oh hell, keep us out of it. I've already heard enough Bull bashing in random threads, Keighley the forumer, hates us and I for one couldn't give a #### and sure as heck don't care to hear about it again.

Oh come on man up. Mr. Khan needs to cast his net to all ends of the Bradford postcodes for fans. Today keighley, Tommorrow Skipton!

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

We had a full back called Geoff Nicholls who was a tremendous young player who ousted county (and later Leeds) full back David Marshall and he went to Barrow when Keith Jarrett was there and they had some money.

I think certain players may have been prepared to move house for the better money and maybe a job with a directors company, many of those lads will have lived in council houses and been able to get similar elsewhere??.

That's nice. But sending a Hull KR junior or 5 up to Barrow on a wet and windy Thursday night is a bit much.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Oh come on man up. Mr. Khan needs to cast his net to all ends of the Bradford postcodes for fans. Today keighley, Tommorrow Skipton!

We'll stick to the traditional heartland areas of Halifax and Batley. Anyhoo, boo Leeds, boo Hunslet, boo dual reg.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

That's nice. But sending a Hull KR junior or 5 up to Barrow on a wet and windy Thursday night is a bit much.

Looking by the names which are circulating 2 games in I don't think this arrangment is focusing on youth in the slightest.

I'd be happy to have a couple of HKR youngsters on loan for the season if it benefited our squad mind you, they do seem to have a couple of good young players knocking about.

#52 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

HKR already have a link up with Gateshead Thunder but seeing as Barrow is in Cumbria then any SL club could link with them as the SL clubs second linked team. All SL clubs can have two linked clubs providing the second club is in one of the areas nominated, i.e. Wales, South West, Midlands, Cumbria, etc.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#53 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Maybe Parky, but I think having their wages bill cut by around a third might have been a major factor in their decision.

How does this work Terry??

It was said that SL clubs would save £100K a year "using" CC clubs. It was also said that if Hunslet use say Hood and Kleinhorst all year their wages will be paid by Leeds in full, but erm "a sum would be set against Hunslet's salary cap of £300K".

I assume that we don't spend anywhere near that. Maybe we can afford say £120K. If Leeds want to shower us with players there'll be a limit based on the theoretical value of the players in which once we have £180K's worth of Leeds players we can have no more Leeds players.

But how will we "save a third in wages" unless we cut our own input down allowing Leeds to pay for as many players as we can get? I suppose it's a good thing if CC clubs can use this to cut their input into the wages bill down to what they can afford. It helps them survive.

Thinking about it to control finance Leeds would have to look at what Hunslet are making and ensure that revenue goes towards the team so that Hunslet aren't making a profit from Leeds?? Looks to me like it's not just sharing players but finances.

ANYWAY

Hunslet.v.Barrow 2011 attendance 500

Hunslet.v.Barrow 2013 attendance 500

Doesn't look like it's having any effect on the fans, but it does have a financial advantage for both clubs.

#54 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Being reported on twitter that Kylie can not play for Hunslet due to the terms of his visa.

#55 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Being reported on twitter that Kylie can not play for Hunslet due to the terms of his visa.

T&A reported he'd taken British citizenship, which is why he could play. I haven't taken it as gospel.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#56 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

T&A reported he'd taken British citizenship, which is why he could play. I haven't taken it as gospel.

Peter Smith Yorkshire Post Leeds correspondent has tweeded it so I would say it is right.

#57 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

How does this work Terry??

It was said that SL clubs would save £100K a year "using" CC clubs. It was also said that if Hunslet use say Hood and Kleinhorst all year their wages will be paid by Leeds in full, but erm "a sum would be set against Hunslet's salary cap of £300K".

I assume that we don't spend anywhere near that. Maybe we can afford say £120K. If Leeds want to shower us with players there'll be a limit based on the theoretical value of the players in which once we have £180K's worth of Leeds players we can have no more Leeds players.

But how will we "save a third in wages" unless we cut our own input down allowing Leeds to pay for as many players as we can get? I suppose it's a good thing if CC clubs can use this to cut their input into the wages bill down to what they can afford. It helps them survive.

Thinking about it to control finance Leeds would have to look at what Hunslet are making and ensure that revenue goes towards the team so that Hunslet aren't making a profit from Leeds?? Looks to me like it's not just sharing players but finances.

ANYWAY

Hunslet.v.Barrow 2011 attendance 500

Hunslet.v.Barrow 2013 attendance 500

Doesn't look like it's having any effect on the fans, but it does have a financial advantage for both clubs.

If the salary cap is a straight £300k with no rider on turnover, and Hunslet have £180k of 'spare' cap they could in theory play 3 players earing over £100kpa and 2 on 60-100kpa in every league game and not break the cap and it wouldn't actually cost them a penny.

The fact that high earmners had a value placed on them at the outset tells me that this 'scheme' was never intended to be for bringing on the juniors.

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

If the salary cap is a straight £300k with no rider on turnover, and Hunslet have £180k of 'spare' cap they could in theory play 3 players earing over £100kpa and 2 on 60-100kpa in every league game and not break the cap and it wouldn't actually cost them a penny.

The fact that high earmners had a value placed on them at the outset tells me that this 'scheme' was never intended to be for bringing on the juniors.

Thanks for that. The attempt to play Leuluai and Moore is clearly using Hunslet as an "A" team.

What I am unsure about is just how far this can go and whether it can affect the independent clubs.

Powell and Aston were worried about such as Hunslet having a couple of SL players in their ranks on the cheap, but I don't think Hunslet will be any threat to Featherstone or Sheffield in that situation.

The situation that could evolve is the maximisation of SL players by such as Leeds into the Hunslet team.

The cap is a constraint as is the number of players Leeds could release to play for Hunslet.

But the day that "A" teams start beating independant ambitious teams will be a significant one. But can this happen?

It may be these "A" teams remain cannon fodder for Rovers and Eagles in which you can go on to sit on the shoulder of SL until they let you in. But if they end up blocking the queue for SL???

#59 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for that. The attempt to play Leuluai and Moore is clearly using Hunslet as an "A" team.

What I am unsure about is just how far this can go and whether it can affect the independent clubs.

Powell and Aston were worried about such as Hunslet having a couple of SL players in their ranks on the cheap, but I don't think Hunslet will be any threat to Featherstone or Sheffield in that situation.

The situation that could evolve is the maximisation of SL players by such as Leeds into the Hunslet team.

The cap is a constraint as is the number of players Leeds could release to play for Hunslet.

But the day that "A" teams start beating independant ambitious teams will be a significant one. But can this happen?

It may be these "A" teams remain cannon fodder for Rovers and Eagles in which you can go on to sit on the shoulder of SL until they let you in. But if they end up blocking the queue for SL???

If I understand your last phrase..........

Another way of looking at this is : Are the top clubs in SL looking to create a barrier to SL entry by stacking Swinton, Dewsbury and Hunslet with SL squad players so that they block the likes of Fev and Halifax from winning the Championship and the NR Cup, thereby not being able to apply for SL?

Edited by shaun mc, 08 February 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#60 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Why? Are you putting up roadblocks?

Fans travel miles to see clubs, why do you go against all logic and reason and state with no evidence at all that the good people of Keighley and district will not be attracted to Superleague and the Bulls.

Because I grew up there and I know. They will go to Burnley football before they go to Osdsal. The town will be lost to RL if the Cougars die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users