Photo
- - - - -

Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore in Hunslets squad to face Leigh on sunday.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

What would happen then is the SC would be raised so the SL clubs would then need to generate even more money and inevitably some of them would not be making a profit if indeed they all would with those figures anyway.

I see no evidence at all they will raise the cap if revenues increase.

Most club chairmen are talking about the clubs as businesses becoming self sustaining, most are dismayed as the England coach is that SL clubs have gone bust/near bust this last 18 months and they say it's got to stop. Certainly running up a large directors loans account is something most SL clubs are also against if possible.

There's also the scenario where clubs think that by spending the cap they will have a good team. Didn't work at London, didn't work at Bradford and the penny has largely dropped that because the game is so short of quality professionals, especially now the best GB stars are going to Oz and the OZ player supply had dried up, and the academies aren't churning them out, that the current value of the total cap spend is more than adequate to secure the services of the best RL players, who choose to stay in British RL as opposed to union or NRL.

The tie up with the CC clubs saves £100K to ease the financial burden too.

The salary cap is a central mechanism in controlling the finances of Superleague. Double it and some clubs will go bonkers and buy up all the best talent, others will see their rich chairmen give up and their clubs drift/collapse and the players will just be the same people only on double wages.

So for me they are now handling the salary cap with care and I see no logic or reason for any increase in the cap.

Indeed a reduction in the cap can spread the talent better and reduce the losses bringing more clubs into profit. However that's where the big boys will draw the line. The Mantra has always been that the "smaller" SL clubs should build towards the level of the big ones, and as the years pass towards that goal the big boys will continue to enjoy winning all the cups.

#82 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

SL teams can only link with one CC club

Actually they're able to link with 2 Championship clubs as long as one is outside of the M62 corridor. Which is why Saints have linked with both Whitehaven & Rochdale as Haven fall outside the M62 restriction.

#83 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Actually they're able to link with 2 Championship clubs as long as one is outside of the M62 corridor. Which is why Saints have linked with both Whitehaven & Rochdale as Haven fall outside the M62 restriction.

Ah. I thought it was about Championship /Championship 1, not M62/not.

#84 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

The rule is that should a SL club wish to go in to partnership with a second Championship club that clubs must be from outside the M62 heartlands in areas such as Cumbria, the North East, the Midlands, the South West, South Yorkshire, London, Wales or France.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users