Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

Outline here http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-21363100

Bit more http://www.news.com....k-1226572459574

Edited by gingerjon, 07 February 2013 - 06:55 AM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

In an interview, Mark Cavendish said that all major sports have a doping problem and that we will hear of more scandals in other sports as the testing becomes more rigorous and we see a culture change in these sports. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but I do worry that a storm is coming.
Fides invicta triumphat

#3 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Superhuman versus super cheats...... I wonder what andy Capp is thinking??

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

In an interview, Mark Cavendish said that all major sports have a doping problem and that we will hear of more scandals in other sports as the testing becomes more rigorous and we see a culture change in these sports. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but I do worry that a storm is coming.

*cough* Tennis *cough*
- Severus, July 2012

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Anyway, looking back over rugby league internationals between predominately NRL players and predominately SL players it's notable that we've talked about being the difference is how the NRL predominate teams had more stamina in the final stages of the match.
- Severus, July 2012

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

i've been monitoring this over the past 2 nights by listening to 2GB & 2UE radio stations in sydney........this could be massive...theres talk of several major sponsors pulling out of the NRL if this "drug scandal" is as big as it appears to be....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

This could be very nasty indeed.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

could also explain how matt orford was ripping up trees at manly...but ###### at bradford :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

The sad thing is that this isn't completely a surprise after the Aussies constant refusal to sign up to doping regulations for international competitions with lines flimsy excuses lines (I remember one particular whing about the doctors being worried about what to prescribe if the players caught a cold).

You can bet that this is going to come up in the media as soon as we get closer to the world cup.

Can the RLIF do something now to try an pre-empt this. Might forcing all the countries involved in the world cup to sign up now be a solution. Could they enforce testing on the main squads from now?

I worry this could tarnish the world cup

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

England for th World Cup, I wonder if the bookies are keeping an eye on things

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Not that it isn't a big story but it isn't a RL issue as such, it seems to be all of Australian sport. For certain RL will be implied but its not solely RL by any means.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Look at what's going on in Spain with the doctor who doped tennis players and the issues at Real Sociadad (I think it is). Andy Murray keeps banging on about the doping issue in tennis which seems to have a hopeless anti-doping system.

The best one is the NFL, where I recall the players threatened to go on strike when the league wanted to beef up the anti-doping system - wonder why that was?!?!?!

#13 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Fortunately the RFL and the clubs are too shambilically organised to get away with large scale doping

Individual players almost certainly

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

A League soccer and Aussie no rules were fingered on Radio 5 live this morning.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

I worry this could tarnish the world cup

I worry it could completely ruin the World Cup.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not that it isn't a big story but it isn't a RL issue as such, it seems to be all of Australian sport. For certain RL will be implied but its not solely RL by any means.

No but I'm fesrful RL will be used as the 'poster boy' and since when did anyone need this much of a stick to beat RL with.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

The NRL and the AFL are the two biggest leagues in Australia and they are both heavily implicated.

EDIT: Specific NRL

Edited by gingerjon, 07 February 2013 - 09:00 AM.

- Severus, July 2012

#18 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Lol at the pommies grabbing onto this as an excuse for their ###### sports teams...

It's a sad day but let's try not to over-react.

Edit: Have to love the AFL CEO, for years he has said there's no drug use or match fixing in the AFL despite players and coaches saying its widespread/basically admitting to it. First thing he does today is try to bring in Barcelona and Real Madrid... Slimiest of the scumbags

Edited by kioli, 07 February 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Yes, alleged systemic doping, links to organised crime, fixed matches and complicity from officials ... small details.
- Severus, July 2012

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Lol at the pommies grabbing onto this as an excuse for their ###### sports teams...

Can't see any over reaction,just a reaction to reports of widespread doping in Australian sport.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users