RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#21 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Lol at the pommies grabbing onto this as an excuse for their ###### sports teams...

Look at the Aussies trying to play it down!

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

No but I'm fesrful RL will be used as the 'poster boy' and since when did anyone need this much of a stick to beat RL with.

Even if it were the case, and I'm not sure it will be, not sure how it means an entire sport can be found guilty. I know where you're coming from but not sure we should feel guilty over it.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

The NRL and the AFL are the two biggest leagues in Australia and they are both heavily implicated.

EDIT: Specific NRL

Yes but it isn't a RL thing alone....they all seem to be indicated.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yes but it isn't a RL thing alone....they all seem to be indicated.

Well, yes. But this is a rugby league board so that's the important bit for us?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Well, yes. But this is a rugby league board so that's the important bit for us?

Yes but I haven't heard RL mentioned in any news reports so far. Just a general 'aussie sport'

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yes but I haven't heard RL mentioned in any news reports so far. Just a general 'aussie sport'

Sky news have just reported that the NRL and AFL are heavily implicated.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Even if it were the case, and I'm not sure it will be, not sure how it means an entire sport can be found guilty. I know where you're coming from but not sure we should feel guilty over it.

True, but when did facts get in the way of a good bashing, anyway, this is probably bigger than owt faced recently so we'll just have to hold onto our hats.

n.b. I do "hope" this extends to the Australian Olympics team, just to make Yorkshirefolk feel even better about beating them.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Illegal drugs and links to organised crime widespread in Australian sport

It's fine, most crimes commited by NRL players are very disorganised

Joke stolen from Fire Up!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Sky news have just reported that the NRL and AFL are heavily implicated.

Fair enough then. I don't expect RL to not be implicated, and if there are cheats it should be. Lets have it out in the open.

#30 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

try here

look in the Aussie papers, whilst its the general scandle the papers here are focusing on there is more in-depth coverage over there. If the RLWC looks like its starting to get attention and interest you can bet certain parts of the media will suddenly 'pick up' on this story.

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

try here

look in the Aussie papers, whilst its the general scandle the papers here are focusing on there is more in-depth coverage over there. If the RLWC looks like its starting to get attention and interest you can bet certain parts of the media will suddenly 'pick up' on this story.

But the Aussies aren't even the WC holders. What can they say about it? They used drugs to lose?
Its not like RL will lose fans to other sports is it? They are all implicated.
I totally understand your concerns but not sure how a few cheats in Aus means we're all at it. It might even generate some bleeding publicity for the thing!!!

#32 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Good old BBC:
"Traditionally, sport has been an arena where Australia has projected itself onto the world stage. There is great pride in how a nation of just 23 million people enjoys so much per capita success. If its sporting reputation is tarnished, then so too is its global reputation. That said, two sporting codes under particularly close scrutiny, Aussie Rules (AFL) and rugby league (NRL) do not have much of an international profile."

#33 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

6.30 and 7.30 sports news on Radio 4 this morning cited Rugby League and Aussie Rules as being the "two major winter sports" involved in the story. No other sports mentioned by name and no real details given.

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

our old friend league freak is getting battered about this on twitter..............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#35 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Lol at the pommies grabbing onto this as an excuse for their ###### sports teams...

this is exactly why the ###### has hit the fan in australia....you are all to busy trying to rub our little pommie noses in it you don't even see whats going on under your own noses...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#36 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

our old friend league freak is getting battered about this on twitter..............

i got into him at about 2am...could'nt resist :lol:

Edited by roughyedspud, 07 February 2013 - 09:45 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

6.30 and 7.30 sports news on Radio 4 this morning cited Rugby League and Aussie Rules as being the "two major winter sports" involved in the story. No other sports mentioned by name and no real details given.

In part that's because it's a 'statement of intent' from the investigators and they have primarily been focusing on NRL and AFL as the country's premier sports - but cricket, soccer, union and horse racing are all implicated.

Definitely worth looking at the aussie press.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I heard tennis and cricket mentioned on 5Live.

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I heard tennis and cricket mentioned on 5Live.

How far does this go back? Aussie Tennis is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, and the Cricket team are no longer the Invincibles of days gone by.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

on aussie radio overnight the main focus is on NRL & AFL....cricket has been mentioned too

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users