Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

O n channel 9 two NRL clubs were mentioned,Manly and Penrith.This was at 6pm EST.
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#42 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

But the Aussies aren't even the WC holders. What can they say about it? They used drugs to lose?
Its not like RL will lose fans to other sports is it? They are all implicated.
I totally understand your concerns but not sure how a few cheats in Aus means we're all at it. It might even generate some bleeding publicity for the thing!!!

That's not what I'm getting at though. I don't think it will reflect on the players over here BUT the negative publicity this will generate if the WC takes off (it will get ignored otherwise) is something that needs to be addressed now.

And whilst the Aussies aren't the holders (how many of the kiwi team are at clubs that have been implicated though?) they are the favourites, and rightly so.

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

How far does this go back? Aussie Tennis is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, and the Cricket team are no longer the Invincibles of days gone by.

No idea mate but it illustrates the point that whilst RL will be a major part of this scandal, it won't be the only one, far from it.

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

our old friend league freak is getting battered about this on twitter..............

Every cloud.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

i got into him at about 2am...could'nt resist :lol:

:blink: Oo-er.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

That's not what I'm getting at though. I don't think it will reflect on the players over here BUT the negative publicity this will generate if the WC takes off (it will get ignored otherwise) is something that needs to be addressed now.

And whilst the Aussies aren't the holders (how many of the kiwi team are at clubs that have been implicated though?) they are the favourites, and rightly so.

As I say, I know where you are coming from and you are right, it could generate negative publicity for the WC....but we need to have a bit more confidence. Deal with the cheats but lets not beat ourselves up over it - RL is not in the dock.

#47 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hehe can we claim to have the test results from the last few decades scrubbed?

#48 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,036 posts

:blink: Oo-er.

you know what i mean lol

Edited by roughyedspud, 07 February 2013 - 10:02 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Obviously I know nowt but I can see some Antipodeans over here being questioned, which could disrupt the SL.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hehe can we claim to have the test results from the last few decades scrubbed?

nah...but we can use it as a massive physchological factor

OLDHAM RLFC

#51 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Can we be sure that our own house is truly in order here?.......just saying......

#52 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Can we be sure that our own house is truly in order here?.......just saying......

I don't think team wide doping is prevalent in SL but certainly heard rumours of players using PED's
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#53 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

As I say, I know where you are coming from and you are right, it could generate negative publicity for the WC....but we need to have a bit more confidence. Deal with the cheats but lets not beat ourselves up over it - RL is not in the dock.

That's fair enough. What I'd like to see though is the RLIF put drug testing requirements out fairly soon, and enforce all teams signing up. That would hopefully mitigate much of the damage.

#54 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I doubt any professional sport is 100% clean, unfortunately. Some are viewed with more suspicion than others, but when you combine single-minded and ultra-competitive people with lucrative rewards and fame, there will always be those who seek a little more advantage than is proper.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#55 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Whilst wanting to denigrate RL in general the biased British media will surely want to avoid acknowledging what a huge sport RL is in Oz.

LUNEW.jpg

#56 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

even after the wake up call the ARLC have had today i seriously doubt they will let the RFL,who are running the world cup on behalf of the RLIF, drug test everyone at the world cup...

OLDHAM RLFC

#57 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Whilst wanting to denigrate RL in general the biased British media will surely want to avoid acknowledging what a huge sport RL is in Oz.

We can be quite grateful for league's low profile right now.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Quite a dilemma for the bigoted anti-RL hacks, isn't it? To hammer Rugby League, they have to let slip that it's a major sport. B)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#59 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

could also explain how matt orford was ripping up trees at manly...but ###### at bradford :lol:

Likewise how Perry has proven to be a soft pudding at Saints but then he does seem to be really into his meusli which doesn't strike my as being the best fuel for a prop forward

Edited by foozler, 07 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#60 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

even after the wake up call the ARLC have had today i seriously doubt they will let the RFL,who are running the world cup on behalf of the RLIF, drug test everyone at the world cup...

why not?....it's not unreasonable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users