Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#81 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Australia Reacts

It seems that Aussie Rules and RL are in the spotlight for doping, but several sports with a bigger international profile - like soccer and tennis - are connected to match fixing.

#82 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

That said, the A League guy was quick to say it wasn't them.

Well, it is only major sports that are involved...
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#83 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

No mention of RU, but I guess you only have to take drugs to watch that!

LUNEW.jpg

#84 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

stimulants to keep you awake................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#85 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Sod's law it'll be Graham, Burgii, Widdop, Reed, etc...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#86 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

please let it be chris heighington....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#87 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

even after the wake up call the ARLC have had today i seriously doubt they will let the RFL,who are running the world cup on behalf of the RLIF, drug test everyone at the world cup...

I would disagree with you on this one. I would hope and think that the ARLC would let their players be tested to to prove that they are clean. If they refuse drugs tests then questions will be raised as to why the ARLC don't want their players tested

#88 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Most Aussie AFL and NRL stars are not household names in the UK - the cricketers, tennis players, swimmers, athletics stars, and even possibly Union players, are more well known.

So, if say 20 people are found guilty, and it's spread evenly across all sports, the odds are that the UK press will focus on the sportsmen they know.

Edited by tw15, 07 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#89 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

The sad thing is that this isn't completely a surprise after the Aussies constant refusal to sign up to doping regulations for international competitions with lines flimsy excuses lines (I remember one particular whing about the doctors being worried about what to prescribe if the players caught a cold).

You can bet that this is going to come up in the media as soon as we get closer to the world cup.

Can the RLIF do something now to try an pre-empt this. Might forcing all the countries involved in the world cup to sign up now be a solution. Could they enforce testing on the main squads from now?

I worry this could tarnish the world cup

It could also give England a fighting chance if the Australians are competing on a level playing field minus their ped s.

#90 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

http://www.crimecomm...rts-feb2013.pdf
This is the report. It refers to "two major codes" that are the main focus of the investigation and who were briefed privately before release - so obviously they are indeed the AFL and NFL.

#91 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Fortunately the RFL and the clubs are too shambilically organised to get away with large scale doping

Individual players almost certainly

Please don't let your childish obsession with the "shambolic" RFL get in the way of the truth.

The RFL run one of the toughest testing regimes in British sport. Jamie peacock for example was randomly tested less than a week ago.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#92 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Please nobody be under any illusion,drug misuse is rife in our pro game and amateur game. One of the major problems is that many of the newer drugs do not show up in the current testing procedure,and the Rfl know this.our anti doping system is so poorly funded there is no way can it be effective.
If you know what to look for there are many physical signs when a person takes certain drugs,but is very difficult to prove it.

#93 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm under no illusions that there will be players in our sport that take drugs, whether recreational or performance enhancing. But the RFL are very stringent with their testing, and if it was so poorly funded and unable to detect new drugs then how was Terry Newton the first sports person to test positive for HGH?

There are always new drugs being created, some of those mentioned in this Aussie sport scandal are not even approved for use on humans, but people will try to find the extra edge or something new to get an extra 1% out of their performance. It takes time for new drugs to get on to the banned lists, those creating them are always one step ahead.

There is no way we can ever get any sport 100% clean, but im happy with the efforts that the RFL put into drug testing, and just following a number of players on twitter makes you realise how often random tests are performed! As mentioned, Jamie Peacock was tested last week, he couldnt pee immediately so he, his son, and the drugs tester sat and watched tv for over an hour together before he could provide his sample!

#94 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'm under no illusions that there will be players in our sport that take drugs, whether recreational or performance enhancing. But the RFL are very stringent with their testing, and if it was so poorly funded and unable to detect new drugs then how was Terry Newton the first sports person to test positive for HGH?

There are always new drugs being created, some of those mentioned in this Aussie sport scandal are not even approved for use on humans, but people will try to find the extra edge or something new to get an extra 1% out of their performance. It takes time for new drugs to get on to the banned lists, those creating them are always one step ahead.

There is no way we can ever get any sport 100% clean, but im happy with the efforts that the RFL put into drug testing, and just following a number of players on twitter makes you realise how often random tests are performed! As mentioned, Jamie Peacock was tested last week, he couldnt pee immediately so he, his son, and the drugs tester sat and watched tv for over an hour together before he could provide his sample!

you don't need to be Einstein to use growth and not get caught,it only shows in urine for 24 hours,then it has to be tested for in blood testing,even then it can be masked by taking other things along side it .this is we're the RFls testing regime fails.also quite often the testers arrival is often known in advance.
Occasionally a player will get caught,but very few do for obvious reasons.
As for Jamie peacock his physique shows there is no misuse going on to anybody that knows what there looking for.
Don't forget he his a Rfl ambassador for the game,more Rfl spin going on ,don't ya think.

#95 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,176 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Please nobody be under any illusion,drug misuse is rife in our pro game and amateur game. One of the major problems is that many of the newer drugs do not show up in the current testing procedure,and the Rfl know this.our anti doping system is so poorly funded there is no way can it be effective.
If you know what to look for there are many physical signs when a person takes certain drugs,but is very difficult to prove it.

I would say it's more rife in the amateur game.

The RFL have a decent testing system and is probably one of the better ones outside of the Olympics sports. There will be players doing it, and there are ways of reducing risks of being caught. However, to really get a 99.99% clean sport would require massive amounts of money and inconvenience.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#96 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

You can tell who's cheating just by looking at them, according to some people...

...but I think they just register which club's strip a player's wearing and make their judgment from that. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#97 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Even if many Aus players are found being drug cheats I don't think it'll have a massive impact on the world cup. The majority of NRL players are not known over here, and the English press will just focus on the major names which are most likely to get people to read it. Any Aussie Olympian who's won a medal in the last 12 years would get more coverage than a RL player. Union players will get more coverage over here and certainly if any of the cricket team were found to have taken any.

I saw on Sky Sports News showing a fox news report and they were trying to interview some Cronulla players. Don't see how Cronulla would be involved seeing as they've been tosh for years.

I will be surprised if some revelations about RL don't come out to be honest, but I'm hoping other sports take the spotlight for the sake as the world cup. But any cheats clearly don't belong in the sport.

#98 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

listening to the 2gb breakfast show hosted by alan jones..former union & league coach....2gb in general seem to be going down the conspiracy route...its all ###### by the gillard government.....

lol.....pathetic

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#99 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

England for th World Cup, I wonder if the bookies are keeping an eye on things

That was my thoughts too
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#100 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

It could explain how some players seem to be as wide as they are tall, and how some can play for a full 80 mins with a very, very high work rate. Hope it is not as widespread as feared as this could have very far reaching implications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users