Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#101 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Now I know why Fosters tastes like Wombat p##s

#102 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

listening to the 2gb breakfast show hosted by alan jones..former union & league coach....2gb in general seem to be going down the conspiracy route...its all ###### by the gillard government.....

lol.....pathetic

ray hadley was on next.....host of the biggest RL radio show in oz..and commentator on channel nine....he questioned the potential number of players on drugs between the AFL & NRL.....he said,and im paraphrasing,.....if its a 100 players that are doping...thats ONLY 8-9% of the total players in the AFL & NRL...

their whole attitude towards drugs is so wrong its untrue

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#103 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

ray hadley was on next.....host of the biggest RL radio show in oz..and commentator on channel nine....he questioned the potential number of players on drugs between the AFL & NRL.....he said,and im paraphrasing,.....if its a 100 players that are doping...thats ONLY 8-9% of the total players in the AFL & NRL...

their whole attitude towards drugs is so wrong its untrue

Let's wait and see what the criminal investigation comes up with. Right now, a lot of the defenders are sounding like Lance Armstrong fans (of whom there were quite a few on here). I don't want to go OTT either. But the scale suggested, the contacts used and the implications for rugby league are all very worrying.

And we would be completely naive to assume that there isn't at least an echo of what's being suggested in the NRL happening here in both codes of rugby.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#104 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I had a nosey on SL website and one of the tweets it picked up with #rugbyleague was that there were vials (sp?) of urine stashed in the plumbing of the Gold Coast home dressing room.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#105 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

What's more damaging; drug cheats or match fixing involving huge gambling cartels? Serious question.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#106 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I had a nosey on SL website and one of the tweets it picked up with #rugbyleague was that there were vials (sp?) of urine stashed in the plumbing of the Gold Coast home dressing room.

Nevermind.

A bit weird.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#107 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Let's wait and see what the criminal investigation comes up with. Right now, a lot of the defenders are sounding like Lance Armstrong fans (of whom there were quite a few on here). I don't want to go OTT either. But the scale suggested, the contacts used and the implications for rugby league are all very worrying.

And we would be completely naive to assume that there isn't at least an echo of what's being suggested in the NRL happening here in both codes of rugby.

not naive at all...the UKAD do the RFL's drug testing..i assume cos we receive millions from the lottery as well as being signed up members to WADA our players are subect to the same top level drugs test our olympic athletes are....UKAD carry out both pee & blood tests..the aussies only do pee tests.....you can only detect Human growth hormones via blood test....hence why terry newton got caught......the first person ever to get caught using HGH iirc?..

also everyone in the 30+ man england training squad gets the full pee & blood testing.....hence why gareth hock got caught...

christ a semi pro oldham player has just been banned for 6 months for taking a couple of over the counter flu tablets when he was poorly...*edited........he actually drank a can of monster energy drink....the same drug is in both flu tabs & some energy drinks

we are a million miles ahead of australia in terms of testing.....

Edited by roughyedspud, 08 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#108 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

What's more damaging; drug cheats or match fixing involving huge gambling cartels? Serious question.

Depends, I guess.

I think most people are more comfortable than the media thinks when it comes to players taking stuff. Because they sort of imagine it's just supplements that happen to fall on the banned list. They're less comfortable when that stuff is part of an entire systemic network which is in itself connected with organised crime, cartels and the like. Plus when it goes all 'Lance' and they see the bullying and victimisation associated with it then it tarnishes the notion of sport.

Match fixing - if you're talking about playing to lose then I think it's far more damaging. That means that what you saw in front of you was a charade not a contest. If it's passing information on to bookies - you know like, we're only playing our seconds this Sunday because we're out to win the week after, then hmmmm ... it doesn't smell nice but it doesn't stick as badly.

Let's see what the final reports say.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#109 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

just referring back to the terry newton case..

http://metro.co.uk/2...-cheats-343648/

“Last year we tested 628 players and had just four positive cases, only one of which was for HGH. Based on the number of participants, no sport is more vigilant with regard to drugs use than rugby league. We were the most tested sport in the UK in 2009-2010 and will do even more this year to make the sport as clean as we possibly can.”

OLDHAM RLFC

#110 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

The RFL run one of the toughest testing regimes in British sport. Jamie peacock for example was randomly tested less than a week ago.

Nothing random about that, they saw his side-step and figured something must be up...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#111 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

jamie tweeted something along the lines of the testers having to sit and watch CBBC with his kids waiting for him to pee again :lol:

surprisingly alot of RL players actually tweet when the testers have been round.

Edited by roughyedspud, 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#112 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Nevermind.

A bit weird.

That just raises more questions than it answers, to be honest

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#113 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

That just raises more questions than it answers, to be honest

aye....a pom in charge of a NRL club.....get him signing british talent lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#114 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Depends, I guess.

I think most people are more comfortable than the media thinks when it comes to players taking stuff. Because they sort of imagine it's just supplements that happen to fall on the banned list. They're less comfortable when that stuff is part of an entire systemic network which is in itself connected with organised crime, cartels and the like. Plus when it goes all 'Lance' and they see the bullying and victimisation associated with it then it tarnishes the notion of sport.

Match fixing - if you're talking about playing to lose then I think it's far more damaging. That means that what you saw in front of you was a charade not a contest. If it's passing information on to bookies - you know like, we're only playing our seconds this Sunday because we're out to win the week after, then hmmmm ... it doesn't smell nice but it doesn't stick as badly.

Sounds fair enough but I'm not sure the degree of aiding or abetting a betting cartel will make that much difference -it's all dodgy.
I still don't think RL has reason to be more worried than any other sport involved, it is apparently endemic across Australian sport. As such I think the whole of Australian sport will collectively shoulder any blame, not that RL will be singled out.

As for this country, it's a knocking bet that someone will be either on something or developing something to get an upper hand but that's the way things are in modern sport unfortunately. RL has a pretty good testing programme considering the overall lack of money in the game.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#115 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Depends, I guess.

Without trivialising this report, or blithely ignoring that the ARLC needs to look at the involvement of so-called sports scientists in the sport, I also think the political aspect of the ACA, a federal body only founded in 2003 that has to validate it's existence and the $1 billion it spends annually. I've looked through their press releases and couldn't find any major drug busts - as far as I can see no more than what you'd expect a well resourced organisation to achieve - and those in conjuction with other law enforcement forces. Oh, and a few dodgy accountants facilitating money laundering to the tune of some hundreds of thousands of dollars.
As the ACC was "established under the Australian Crime Commission Act 2002 as a statutory authority to combat serious and organised crime" it isn't actually particularly surprising they are so keen to play up that aspect. More worrying for me is the involvement of medical professionals. What has the AMA been doing? Isn't it actually their job to investigate "criminal" doctors?
At least as worrying, and with the potential to have a more damaging affect long term, is if match fixing is proven. Again, I think, there's a societal element at work whereby the gambling industry is treated as a business like any other. I would ban sports betting fullstop. I'm aware of the prohibition argument "that would simply drive it underground". So be it: online bookmakers, pay day lenders etc- they are non-contributing parasites preying on the most vulnerable who don't deserve the patina of respectability they are currently afforded as legitimate businesses.

#116 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I will happily place the blame for Wigan's defeat tonight on a Far Eastern crime syndicate.

#117 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nevermind.

A bit weird.

Before we start pointing fingers maybe we should get some more info on things. http://www.foxsports...98#.URTn9Gfybcs

There is/has been a problem in the NRL and Australian Sports regarding drugs and other stuff. However the Report from the Government is for me very weak. There are no names or even clubs mentioned. There is no evidence shown how deep and far reaching the problem is. It just comes across as a sensationalst bit of Journalism from a paper like the Sun, in how its been released. The way its been released is poor as it points fingers at many innocent people. The sooner evidence with names is out there the better. If not then it should have been kept quiet until we have it. There is an anti Australian feeling on this forum and such things certain people want to make a point of. But British Sport is not totally clean and neither is Rugby League. Yes the testing is clearly better here. But there are many people playing Rugby League even in Pro Sports that are or have taken drugs recently. I know of stories from both in the game and outside of people who have cheated the system usually at the Semi Pro end of Sport. Football match fixing is also happening in the UK and Western Europe. The problems mentioned are not unique to one nation or Sport. I feel that Sports Federations, Governments and Drug testing Agencys need to work more together and help get rid of the criminals who destroy the integrity of Sports and people. Its tough when Billions are involved with sport. But harder bans and hurting not just athletes but Scientists, Board members, Criminals and Coaches who have been involved in such things.

There is or has been a problem. But lets get the evidence out there andI want to see evidence of who is or was involved and that they should be banned from any function in Sport, not just Rugby League.

#118 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I agree, but is it not human nature to react to years of AndyCapp (whom we all hope gets better from the broken fingers/RSI preventing our reading his views on this) and co telling us about "supermen" and seeing our boys defeated at the death by the "superior fitness" of the Kangaroos, to question that at a time like this?
Naturally, we hope that there are few cheats, that the Aussie clubs and authorities have done all they can to ensure a level playing field within the NRL, and hence internationally. That said, I watched our team lose every Test of an Ashes series after being ahead at 70 minutes, and so am very curious to know when how level that playing field has been over the years.
Finally, from my close but second hand exposure to Saints, Wigan and Cas' training methods over the years, I have very little doubt that there is no systemic drug use at any of those clubs. Individuals, maybe, but not the Armstrong type organised drug abuse.

#119 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Nevermind.

A bit weird.

5 year old pee!! Yuck.

#120 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

On the Guardian website's rugby league section there are now 4 - count 'em! - articles on and around the issue of drugs... somebody remind me never again to complain about the way national newspapers treat this sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users