RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#121 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

5 year old pee!! Yuck.

Sold here as Carling Black Label.

#122 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I will happily place the blame for Wigan's defeat tonight on a Far Eastern crime syndicate.

Is there a syndicate in Westhoughton? :)

#123 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Don't joke. it's actually in Leigh. Very fishy if you ask me, which you haven't.

#124 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

I had a nosey on SL website and one of the tweets it picked up with #rugbyleague was that there were vials (sp?) of urine stashed in the plumbing of the Gold Coast home dressing room.

The above is true however Skilled Park has been used by a few other teams in the past year. A-League football, World RU Sevens Series and a RU test between Australia and South Africa. Also, Luke Patten former NRL player has come out and said you cant hide anything in a drugs test, you have to take p.iss with your trousers round your ankles, they basically watch you. I dont think what they found was the Titans

#125 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

The above is true however Skilled Park has been used by a few other teams in the past year. A-League football, World RU Sevens Series and a RU test between Australia and South Africa. Also, Luke Patten former NRL player has come out and said you cant hide anything in a drugs test, you have to take p.iss with your trousers round your ankles, they basically watch you. I dont think what they found was the Titans

The testers will watch the pee leaving you to hitting the jar. Not a nice job, but to many people have tried to con the testers.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#126 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'd be ok, I don't think they'd bring there own high powered microscope... :( :unsure:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#127 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Listened to a bit of 2GB last night (news headlines) and there was no mention of it at all. Has it died down?

#128 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Listened to a bit of 2GB last night (news headlines) and there was no mention of it at all. Has it died down?

Not at all. Still back page coverage. They'll be naming and shaming the RL players next week apparently.

#129 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

My post seems to have been removed ...... I only commented that HGH apparently gives you exaggerated features such as brow line and jaw and then suggested there are some obvious examples of this in SL!

You'd hope all players at WC get same level if testing.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#130 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I am not being cynical and as has been mentioned by others on here the revelations concerning football and the rigging of games on a worldwide basis occurring. However it does seem coincidental that within 24 hours of that story breaking that this furore over doping and match rigging in what seems to be Australia only and the sports astigated as being laden with vile cheats upon an industrial scale are non-soccer (yet) and in the case of thr AFL a sport confined ( I think?) to Australia and the other big player that is R/L which is the only place on the planet where R/L has the supremecy over all other sports therein, including Football!!

I do notcondole any of what is being purported, should it be so but a maxim in some circles is that if you can sling more sh**e than the others then it is very possible that you can win the argument, just a thought. ;)

#131 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I am not being cynical and as has been mentioned by others on here the revelations concerning football and the rigging of games on a worldwide basis occurring. However it does seem coincidental that within 24 hours of that story breaking that this furore over doping and match rigging in what seems to be Australia only and the sports astigated as being laden with vile cheats upon an industrial scale are non-soccer (yet) and in the case of thr AFL a sport confined ( I think?) to Australia and the other big player that is R/L which is the only place on the planet where R/L has the supremecy over all other sports therein, including Football!!

I do notcondole any of what is being purported, should it be so but a maxim in some circles is that if you can sling more sh**e than the others then it is very possible that you can win the argument, just a thought. ;)

It's an Australian government investigation, not an international one.
Only makes sense that NRL/AFL are the two comps heavily investigated, as soccer and union in Australia are tiny fish in Australia's sports ocean, if it wasn't clear enough to everyone already.

Edited by kioli, 09 February 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#132 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

It's an Australian government investigation, not an international one.
Only makes sense that NRL/AFL are the two comps heavily investigated, as soccer and union in Australia are tiny fish in Australia's sports ocean, if it wasn't clear enough to everyone already.

Clear enough to all except the BBC and all other UK media.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#133 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

A week gone and still no names and evidence. The witchhunt has damaged our sport as well as others. It was said Drugs are rife in the code. No sport is 100% clean and we all want the cheats caught and banned. But this is a disgrace now. The 6 NRL clubs named has seen Manly, Cronulla have been announced clean. http://www.foxsports...39#.URty-Wfybct and http://www.foxsports...31#.URtzEWfybct . North Queensland are well unhappy and with good reason http://www.foxsports...06#.URtzSmfybcv. If Drugs was so rife as was originally made out why no names or arrests? Why are clubs being given the green light? What evidence has ASADA that the NRL is so full of drugs? Lets have the evidence! The whole thing has been a farce nad has caused untold damage.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 13 February 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#134 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

why don't you wait till ASADA start testing all the blood samples they have in frozen storage before clearing everyone.....sure players may have past the pee and hair sample test...but their blood,while taken,was'nt tested....and blood testing is the only way to detect HGH...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#135 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

A week gone and still no names and evidence. The witchhunt has damaged our sport as well as others. It was said Drugs are rife in the code. No sport is 100% clean and we all want the cheats caught and banned. But this is a disgrace now. The 6 NRL clubs named has seen Manly, Cronulla have been announced clean. http://www.foxsports...39#.URty-Wfybct and http://www.foxsports...31#.URtzEWfybct . North Queensland are well unhappy and with good reason http://www.foxsports...06#.URtzSmfybcv. If Drugs was so rife as was originally made out why no names or arrests? Why are clubs being given the green light? What evidence has ASADA that the NRL is so full of drugs? Lets have the evidence! The whole thing has been a farce nad has caused untold damage.

They haven't given any names yet because the intention was to frighten the offenders into taking up the amnesty and coming clean "before it's too late" ie. they get get arrested and charged for real. That's why there's no "evidence" yet. All we've had is a press conference and a media campaign - and it's manna from heaven for the crappy Aussie infotainment/current affairs nexus. Mind you they aren't that brilliant in the UK - John Snow on Channel 4 news "interviewed" some moronic sports reporter from channel 10, which is a bit like asking a channel 5 weather girl to explain global warning.
I personally think this is mostly a case of a career building by some overpaid big wigs running a federally funded organised crime-busting body in it's 10th year that hasn't actually pulled off any major coups yet. I'd be surprised if the eventual haul of footballing cheats justifies the hype.
So far, as far as RL is concerned (I don't give pair of skimpy shorts about AwFuL), all they've got to show is one bloke who plays for one of Souths' feeder clubs.
I made a post earlier about match fixing, which is much more worrying IMHO.

Edited by Brisvegan, 13 February 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#136 irishfan

irishfan
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Very honest interview with Brian Carney on Newstalk in Ireland.

Listen here (hope this link works)...

http://www.newstalk....eland-internati

#137 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Good and fair article. Thanks. You will always get somebody trying to cheat in some form- its human nature. But I doubt its so rife as the original report came out with. With Terry Newton and can fully understand why he took the hormones if it releaved the pain. I have back and shoulder problems and sometimes I cant walk properly or pick something up and frustrates me I cant do training etc at times. But he was wrong to take HGH and was rightly banned. I hope that things are sorted out soon and I am still very strongly against the Media and Government releasing this report when there is no evidence and is more a witchhunt based on stories and not evidence. Its tainted many people and clubs who are innocent and thats wrong for me. The Match Fixing is as somebody said a worse thing than the Drugs allegedly involved in Sport. I dont think it is good that the NRL ( as well as AFL) are so heavily involved with betting companys, especially with the Ryan Tandy incident in 2010. A few changes need to be done in the game and sport in general both regarding Drugs and the role of betting companies. But the way the ACC have done things is totally out of order and the investigation seems to be done very poorly as the betting companies are seemingly not being asked any questions which you think would happen regarding Match Fixing. http://www.foxsports...20#.UR_B_PK06sA

#138 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

The poop maybe about to hit the Cronulla fan!

http://www.smh.com.a...0306-2fkoi.html

#139 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

A League soccer and Aussie no rules were fingered on Radio 5 live this morning.

RU will be clean as a whistle, no doubt?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#140 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Apparently 30 players from six clubs going to be named in Fridays telegraph newspaper.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users