Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

08/02/13 - Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. Warrington Wolves (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

3. Draw (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

I thought it was really intense and defences from both teams was excellent. Farrell, Flower, McIllorum and Goulding were really good for Wigan and i agree Myler is improving all the time.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#102 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

We learnt from that decision that, once the ref has called held, it's a good idea to stick a cheeky foot in touch. Clever stuff from Goulding.

Rofl.
What confused the defence was having to deal with a defender with his feet on the ground.

#103 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Rofl.
What confused the defence was having to deal with a defender with his feet on the ground.

Joking apart that is one of the things the refs are going to have to get to grips with. On three or four occasions Warrington defenders made no attempt to challenge for the ball when in the air and just played the man. It's clearly a tactic they've been working on and is effective when timed legally. However officials shouldn't be getting a decision wrong where its timed wrong and there are two infringements occurring at the same time in the form of taking a man without possession and when in the air.

Aside from that, there is also a lot to be tidied up around the ptb and markers being square, etc, as I thought Wigan were particular fortunate in both areas. Offside and forward pass calls are a lottery as ever.

That's enough negativity from me on the officials though as it shouldn't detract from an excellent game between two quality sides. I'd have taken a draw before the game if offered, but came away feeling slightly deflated at the result. I consider that a good thing as Wigan are already exceeding my pre season expectations.

Edited by giwildgo, 09 February 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#104 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

A good game, plenty of talking points..... Which makes our game!!

Wigan forwards impressed me, Goulding got the better of Atkins too many times for me ( Atkins/ Riley will improve so not worried)
Green and smith good kicking game...... Liam Farrell fantastic effort and a great player.

Wigan wanted this game more than warrington, tony Smith didn't seem overly bothered. (From his body language on sky)

Myler started the season well, which is good for warrington and maybe England.

Tomkins again quite in a Wigan / Wire game....... Again!

#105 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

A good game, plenty of talking points..... Which makes our game!!

Wigan forwards impressed me, Goulding got the better of Atkins too many times for me ( Atkins/ Riley will improve so not worried)
Green and smith good kicking game...... Liam Farrell fantastic effort and a great player.

Wigan wanted this game more than warrington, tony Smith didn't seem overly bothered. (From his body language on sky)

Myler started the season well, which is good for warrington and maybe England.

Tomkins again quite in a Wigan / Wire game....... Again!

Goulding is a classy and classic centre.
We have a kicking game for te first time in 10 years, and everything will be easier as a result.
Good of Wire to go through the motions to keep the game competitive - :)

#106 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Goulding is a classy and classic centre.
We have a kicking game for te first time in 10 years, and everything will be easier as a result.
Good of Wire to go through the motions to keep the game competitive - :)

I wouldn't say wire went through the motions, something is missing, but I'm not surprised after our best ever season last year.

Wigan really wanted it !!

Hope this clears my opinion up.

#107 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I wouldn't say wire went through the motions, something is missing, but I'm not surprised after our best ever season last year.

Wigan really wanted it !!

Hope this clears my opinion up.

No offence taken at all. Who knows what last night signifies? It was great entertainment though.

#108 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Maybe I watched a slightly different game to many here.

Very tough solid game with very little naughty stuff. Genuinely didnt see anything from Westwood and Morley tbh not sure if the Wigan fans here are just retaliating to comments about a couple of their players. Wigan did appear to lose their cool for a very short period of time - tbh I thought it was the most exciting part of the game as both teams went at each other. RL at its best.

There were some dodgy decisions, nothing too outrageous. Atkins could have been done but at full speed it was a split second decision. Despite the views on here I dont think there was a conscious tactic by Wire to tackle in the air - we got away with one (not dangerous in the slightest) and got penalised for one. Wigan got penalised for one.

On the game, Wigan were good, not sure why everybody is so surprised, the majority of posters I saw across various sites predicted a home win.

Wire - quite typical tbh. The amount of errors is always a worry but I wont criticise them for it as it works for us more often than not.

Great game, excellent crowd, all positive in my eyes!

#109 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Oh one final point, on the ref - I agree with the poster who said that the ref was calling held too quickly. It caused problems with an offload and the foot in touch. There were also a couple of other plays were the taclle was stopped early rather than allowing players to naturally complete the tackle.
Hopefully thats just a timing thing in rd 2.

#110 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Maybe bentham was calling held when defenders were intentionally standing the attacker up in the tackle (thus slowing everything down) rather than going to ground. Wigan, in particulare, seemed to be employing this tactic and maybe the refs are clocking this

#111 brooza

brooza
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

After the sort of game O'Loughlin and McIlorum tried to turn it into in the second half, delighted with a point and hopefully no spinal injuries.

After the sort of game Morley and Westwood tried to turn it into - it was like all in wrestling without a granny with a chair - it's a relief to get through intact.

Always nice to hear different points of view!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#112 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Maybe bentham was calling held when defenders were intentionally standing the attacker up in the tackle (thus slowing everything down) rather than going to ground. Wigan, in particulare, seemed to be employing this tactic and maybe the refs are clocking this

I suspect he was in general and he then did give quite a lot of time for extra work to complete the tackle (unless of course a player touches the line with their foot) but there were a lot of instances where there was still movement and held was being called.
Like i say, I expect this will settle down - Bentham himself is short of match practice.

#113 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Great game
Dirty Wigan (same old ;) )

#114 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I thought it was quite a patchy performance from both sides, and the referee.

#115 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

and why rugby league isn't our national sport i will never know, what a game!!

I totally agree. A grear game. Never mind about the errors. Superb entertainment. No wonder Sir Bradley Wiggins says it's too tough.
And it was good to see him in the crowd again.

#116 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

:D

I backed a draw all along... I just waited to vote on it :ph34r:

Another two votes overnight too. Everyone pile in and vote draw!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#117 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Great game, a bit surreal watching it on the concourse at the KC though.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#118 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Great game, thought on paper Warrington had the better of Wigan, so credit to Wane for his game plan/preparation and the players for there shear desire and effort in getting so close to beating a team I fully expect to see walking out at Old Trafford come Grand Final time.

A superb advert for the game, not watched it back on the TV yet, mind, but can't believe anyone left the DW feeling like they'd been short changed!

EDIT;
A few pics from the game here.

Edited by shrek, 10 February 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#119 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

It's good to see a young British pack showing so much promise. Wigan's immediate future is somewhat brighter than some folk on here were predicting. I know I was wondering how they'd cope with so many strong players leaving.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#120 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Didn't we see these young Wigan lads stand up to opposition a fair few times last year?

We knew they were no mugs - the challenge for them is to step it up in the big games (Semi finals etc) and keep it up over the season, but I do think the predictions of them being 5th/6th were premature (although I didn't see many tbh!).