Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10/02/13 - Widnes Vikings v St Helens - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. St Helens (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

score update anyone?

4-4

Cross sent off, Clarke in bin after a bit of biff

#42 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

4-4 since midway through the first half

11 v 13 at the moment.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

4 all according to the SL app.

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Were Cross and Clarke fighting each other?

#45 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

4-8 kick to come. 13 to go

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#46 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

cheers
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#47 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

mass brawl and wilkin apparently managed to crack his own player.

4-16 8mins ro go.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#48 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Ref didn't send Wilkin off for running in...because he cleaned out his own player. Not only are Saints an average side on decline, they are also terrible at biff.

#49 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

If Wilkin ran in and clocked another player, shouldn't he walk as well? Sure the laws don't specify it has to be a member of the opposition. :unsure:

Edited by Griff9of13, 10 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#50 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

That's far from being a convincing scoreline but a win is a win. Happy enough with that after the disaster last week.

#51 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Wilkin was shocking last week, becoming a bit of a thug, always has been a PITA, he niggles all game, but always seems to be invisible to Refs.

HW

#52 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hilariously, Ray French and Alan Rooney on Radio Merseyside had no idea Cross had been sent off. It's only since I've switched over to the Radio Manchester phone-in now that I've learnt he went off.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#53 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Well I never usually bag the Ref's, but today he was awful. Constant holding down by Saints, then when we do it he penalises us!

Plus the sending off and sin-binning incident. I didn't exactly see what happened, but I think we tackled a Saints player high. About 4 Saints players ran in, a big scrap followed, and we go down to 11.

We must have been fighting with ourselves.............
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#54 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I think we tackled a Saints player high. About 4 Saints players ran in, a big scrap followed, and we go down to 11.

Saints have used this tactic successfully to get players sent off for years.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#55 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ok, here's the reply from the bitter Widnes fan... I'll leave the discussion of the referee until the end.

The game was by no means a thriller. Widnes were strong in defence and St Helens were poor as even their own fans would admit. Up to the 60th minute they had all the field position and possession of the ball yet rarely looked like scoring. They eventually scored when Widnes had 11 men and after 3 sets on the line, with Gaskell walking through the limited numbers. The third try was off the back of a Widnes mistake; a poor offload in our own 30 and it fell to a Saints player to walk in. For the amount of dominance they were extremely poor in attack and without improvement they will get a beating against Wigan, Leeds or Wire. Widnes had so little field position throughout the game and to be fair had little go forward but we had very little chance to test Saints on their own line.

So to James Childs... Trust in Widnes forum is united for the first time in its history tonight after an almost incredible performance. The first half was marred by incredibly slow play the balls and a high penalty count against Widnes. I'm not too bothered about missed knock ons or the sending off (I would dispute the sin-binning) but for me the big problem was the holding down.

What we saw was Huddersfield and Wigan from a few years back. Under the guise of 'good technique,' Saints were allowed to slow nearly every play the ball. I've heard the arguments about why this is so but it was blatantly wrong today. It didn't matter whether Saints worked the player onto his back and were dominant or whether the Widnes player had hit the floor onto his front and was trying to get up, Childs let Saints hold as long as they liked. What incensed Widnes fans the most was one instance where we tried it after dominating the tackle and worked a player onto his back only to get pinged for it. The result was that Widnes were never able to get a quick PTB and Saints set their line at every tackle. It resulted in an incredibly slow first half where Widnes couldn't get going and Saints were clueless of how to take advantage of a 9-3 penalty count.

Childs seemed to almost stubbornly revel in this and continued to penalise Widnes only to continually ignore Saints spoiling tactics. I fear the next few weeks will end up being dominated by this issue as certain teams continue to slow the PTB down claiming that they are using good tackling technique.

#56 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Ok, here's the reply from the bitter Widnes fan... I'll leave the discussion of the referee until the end.

The game was by no means a thriller. Widnes were strong in defence and St Helens were poor as even their own fans would admit. Up to the 60th minute they had all the field position and possession of the ball yet rarely looked like scoring. They eventually scored when Widnes had 11 men and after 3 sets on the line, with Gaskell walking through the limited numbers. The third try was off the back of a Widnes mistake; a poor offload in our own 30 and it fell to a Saints player to walk in. For the amount of dominance they were extremely poor in attack and without improvement they will get a beating against Wigan, Leeds or Wire. Widnes had so little field position throughout the game and to be fair had little go forward but we had very little chance to test Saints on their own line.

So to James Childs... Trust in Widnes forum is united for the first time in its history tonight after an almost incredible performance. The first half was marred by incredibly slow play the balls and a high penalty count against Widnes. I'm not too bothered about missed knock ons or the sending off (I would dispute the sin-binning) but for me the big problem was the holding down.

What we saw was Huddersfield and Wigan from a few years back. Under the guise of 'good technique,' Saints were allowed to slow nearly every play the ball. I've heard the arguments about why this is so but it was blatantly wrong today. It didn't matter whether Saints worked the player onto his back and were dominant or whether the Widnes player had hit the floor onto his front and was trying to get up, Childs let Saints hold as long as they liked. What incensed Widnes fans the most was one instance where we tried it after dominating the tackle and worked a player onto his back only to get pinged for it. The result was that Widnes were never able to get a quick PTB and Saints set their line at every tackle. It resulted in an incredibly slow first half where Widnes couldn't get going and Saints were clueless of how to take advantage of a 9-3 penalty count.

Childs seemed to almost stubbornly revel in this and continued to penalise Widnes only to continually ignore Saints spoiling tactics. I fear the next few weeks will end up being dominated by this issue as certain teams continue to slow the PTB down claiming that they are using good tackling technique.

Surly Wigan were never guilty of spoiling tactics! :D

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#57 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Whoever you strike, punch or smack you should be sent off if you come running in....... It's intentional !. I hope the RFL panel look at this match and make example of any players looking for trouble.

#58 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Whoever you strike, punch or smack you should be sent off if you come running in....... It's intentional !. I hope the RFL panel look at this match and make example of any players looking for trouble.

How many times do we see players running in during a season?

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#59 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

How many times do we see players running in during a season?

It would have been 5 a side today!

The brawl was quite odd really as it had hardly been an ill-tempered match between the players.

#60 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

It would have been 5 a side today!

The brawl was quite odd really as it had hardly been an ill-tempered match between the players.

Did it centre around Gareth Hock per chance?!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users