RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10/02/13 - Widnes Vikings v St Helens - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. St Helens (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

How many times do we see players running in during a season?

Running in yes, striking , punching or smacking someone is different!!

So it's ok to make contact ?? In your opinion ?

#62 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

It would have been 5 a side today!

The brawl was quite odd really as it had hardly been an ill-tempered match between the players.

It would have been 5 a side today!

The brawl was quite odd really as it had hardly been an ill-tempered match between the players.

Sometimes you don't know what's been said during play, which can erupt in brawls unexpectedly, leaving fans mystified. Also, unseen niggling incidents can eventually explode.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 10 February 2013 - 07:04 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#63 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Did it centre around Gareth Hock per chance?!

Hock wasn't even on the field at the time...........
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#64 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Running in yes, striking , punching or smacking someone is different!!

So it's ok to make contact ?? In your opinion ?

Doesn't running in only inflame the situation? Better to keep away to let the situation calm down.

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hock wasn't even on the field at the time...........

I dint know, it wouldn't have surprised me if it did.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Doesn't running in only inflame the situation? Better to keep away to let the situation calm down.

Totally agree, so Wilkins needs a bollllocking or a warning

#67 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Totally agree, so Wilkins needs a bollllocking or a warning

Agree, but so do all the rest of the guilty players over a season. No club is immune from players running in. Two players left alone to square up is better than another eight charging in like wild bulls. Also, some forum members on here say they enjoy some biff! :) Which way do we want the game to be played? And I know the odd handbags swipe cannot be compared to sly play.

#68 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Agree, but so do all the rest of the guilty players over a season. No club is immune from players running in. Two players left alone to square up is better than another eight charging in like wild bulls. Also, some forum members on here say they enjoy some biff! :) Which way do we want the game to be played? And I know the odd handbags swipe cannot be compared to sly play.

I'm up for two players squaring up , brought up on Boyd, Tamati and Jackson so it's a pleasure one on one, running in really is annoying.

Please note I'm not having a pop at you or saints, I'm just pee'd off with players running in and thinking their ten men.

#69 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm up for two players squaring up , brought up on Boyd, Tamati and Jackson so it's a pleasure one on one, running in really is annoying.

Please note I'm not having a pop at you or saints, I'm just pee'd off with players running in and thinking their ten men.

I totally agree because it's just idiotic players flying in with all guns blazing when they haven't been involved in the original incident.

#70 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I totally agree because it's just idiotic players flying in with all guns blazing when they haven't been involved in the original incident.

Top man, well put.

#71 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

all i can say is........james child rides again., god help stains when they play wire and wigan...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#72 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

all i can say is........james child rides again., god help stains when they play wire and wigan...

I said something similar when we played c@s in a friendly. I said god help them this season in SL and look what they did today against the rhinos. Never say never😉

#73 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I tell you what, I'd rather see a bit of biff than 10 second play the balls courtesy of the Nathan Brown school of coaching.

The whole game is made duller by the blatant lying on. It doesn't reward good tackling, it rewards all tackling and means that there is next to no broken play. Almost all Widnes ball today was against a structured and set St Helens line. Fair enough if they had dominated the tackle but this happened whether they had or they hadn't.

From the reaction of the Saints fans and players, I suspect the Cross incident was pretty bad, I was too far away to see it. I'd like to see how he justified sin binning Clarke and nobody else. It was like I said earlier, he seemed to revel in the animosity and what better way to prove that the crowd haven't influenced your decisions by being 'brave' enough to send off 2 players from one side and none from another. The easier, more crowd appeasing decision would have been Cross off and then 1 player from each sin-binned.

As it happened it was crucial for more than one reason. We look much stronger when we have Cross and O'Carroll on and they had literally just been rotated and come back on. So not only were we down to 11 and then 12 men but we didn't get the impact of fresh legs, instead having to bring the tired legs back on.

#74 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I said something similar when we played c@s in a friendly. I said god help them this season in SL and look what they did today against the rhinos. Never say never😉

It's hard to verbalise how poor Saints were in attack. They had literally set after set on our line and were regularly marched up the field. I think they only got to the kick twice in the first half. Regardless of the improvements we have made in defence, a team like Saints should be able to convert that territory and field position into points against a team that at best will scrape into the playoffs.

As it turned out, they only scored after a third set on our line against 11 players and as you would expect it was caused by sheer weight of numbers. Their one other try against reduced numbers was from a poor offload that went to ground in our own 30 and they capitalised from. The first half try was the result of being marched up the field and having a set on our line after a long period of 'pressure.'

Put it this way, with that amount of territory and possession and then playing against 11/12 I suspect Wigan or Wire would have been in the 30/40 range. That's not being disrespectful to Widnes who defended well either, it's just sheer weight of force.

#75 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

"Surly Wigan"? Seems a bit rough getting a slagging off over a game we weren't involved in. I am sure I was not alone in assuming Hock was involved in the mass brawl. Maybe next week when we loan him to Saints' next opponents.

#76 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Saints have used this tactic successfully to get players sent off for years.

Agree - Leeds are another team that are fond of the same approach.

#77 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

However, in spite of my team being unable to string together a decent attacking move all match, our defence was much improved on last week. Well, to be fair, it could hardly have been any worse.

It's not how you start the season; it's how you finish. Maybe this year we are modelling ourselves on the Rhinos, who often look garbage during the season but always manage to pull off a grand final win.

#78 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

However, in spite of my team being unable to string together a decent attacking move all match, our defence was much improved on last week. Well, to be fair, it could hardly have been any worse.

It's not how you start the season; it's how you finish. Maybe this year we are modelling ourselves on the Rhinos, who often look garbage during the season but always manage to pull off a grand final win.

Your defence was much improved because a) you were allowed to lie on for a ridiculous amount of time meaning that Widnes never gained momentum, B) you faced very few sets in your attacking 20 and c) Widnes didn't have much go forward.

I can't see another referee being so lenient with the slowing tactics, I also suspect that if the field position and possession was reversed Widnes would have scored more than 16 points.

#79 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Your defence was much improved because a) you were allowed to lie on for a ridiculous amount of time meaning that Widnes never gained momentum, B) you faced very few sets in your attacking 20 and c) Widnes didn't have much go forward.

Well, there you go. Our defence was much improved, like I said.

#80 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Well, there you go. Our defence was much improved, like I said.

a) You should have been penalised for holding down on a number of occasions, in which case Widnes would have been able to gain momentum.

B) Dubious penalties gifted you field position on a number of occasions.

I suspect that we made at least as many breaks as you did (just from within our own half) despite the scoreline and scored a try from one of our few attempts on your line.

Also, I suspect very few refs will give you as much time holding down as Childs did today. Ganson would have been pinging you left right and centre.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 10 February 2013 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users