GB Ice Hockey Team

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Latvia got the ticket to the Winter Olympics, but only after a tense final game where the berth to Sochi changed hands five times. Both Kazakhstan and France at various times were in pole position for the trip to Russia and the outcome only was known once the final second had elapsed- Latvia getting the point they needed with a 2-2 draw. For GB it was very much a learning experience, as this is the only opportunity they will get to play opponents of this quality- that is unless they can earn promotion to the top level of world hockey this April in Budapest.

Really need to learn to stay out of the penalty box. When it was 5v5 GB looked fairly comfortable against some seriously good players, including ex-NHLers, but playing a man short was just impossible.

Oh, and regarding Brits in the NHL, one of the dual nationals I mentioned earlier has just made the leap. Danny Taylor has signed for Calgary Flames as a back up, with their regular goalie out injured. Most probably won't get much, if any, ice time but it's not a bad way to earn a living.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#22 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

GB spent so much time picking up 2 minute penalties that I reckon their man of the tournament was the penalty box doorkeeper, he was certainly the busiest person there.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I enjoyed reading this thread from start to finish, without knowing what was going on. By post 5 I had my hand on heart, belting out GSTQ at full pelt. By the Latvia defeat, I was disappointed but optimistic, I was sure we'd put the frogs to bed.

By the end, and a trouncing at the hands of Kazakhstan, I am inconsolable.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users