Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castlefords new twinning arrangement

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

http://www.thetelegr...tleford_Tigers/ that's the keighley fans moral high ground gone.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Oh FFS!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

http://www.thetelegr...tleford_Tigers/ that's the keighley fans moral high ground gone.

Why is it? The fans can still be against this, they didn't make the decision.
Posted Image

#4 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

If you cant beat em join em :lol: :lol: :lol:
chappy

#5 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

True but they can't say their clubs better than the others because they aren't twinned anymore can they?

#6 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

True but they can't say their clubs better than the others because they aren't twinned anymore can they?

Well no, but I'm not sure the ones are against it even would!

I wonder if Jordan Tansey might find himself back in the Championship quicker than he might have expected?

:ph34r: :lol:
Posted Image

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Well no, but I'm not sure the ones are against it even would!

I wonder if Jordan Tansey might find himself back in the Championship quicker than he might have expected?

:ph34r: :lol:

I certainly hope it's not him. He did well last week and seems to give the fans more confidence at full back than Richard Owen.

Owen became a Dad this week so might have missed a bit of training - could be him?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#8 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I think most Keighley fans will be disgusted and may walk away. The problem is our not being in such an arrangement looked likely to result in relegation due to not being able to beat SL assisted teams we would have expected to beat like Hunslet, York and Swinton.

I guess it's a classic case of the end justifying the means but, at least, we avoided having to work with the Bulls.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think most Keighley fans will be disgusted and may walk away. The problem is our not being in such an arrangement looked likely to result in relegation due to not being able to beat SL assisted teams we would have expected to beat like Hunslet, York and Swinton.

I guess it's a classic case of the end justifying the means but, at least, we avoided having to work with the Bulls.

You're more than welcome.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Why would a potentially better level and quality of competition cause fans to
1....be disgusted?
2.....walk away?

Surely it would increase interest, improve the quality of the games and attract more fans and therefore increase the club's income?

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

1....be disgusted?
2.....walk away?

Surely it would increase interest, improve the quality of the games and attract more fans and therefore increase the club's income?

It's all to do with tribalism, pride in achieving things for yourself, a sense of inferiority by having to be a chatel servant or a kept underling. If you don't understand these things, then you have no business being a fan.

Did Bradford fans flock to Headingley when their team was inferior to Leeds these last few years? No they were loyal to their team. They were fans.

#12 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

1....be disgusted?
2.....walk away?

If it was simply down to the on-field product RL would have taken over the world years ago.

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Did Bradford fans flock to Headingley when their team was inferior to Leeds these last few years? No they were loyal to their team. They were fans.

Fan being short for fanatical, of course.

Fanatical
  • Filled with excessive and single-minded zeal.
  • Obsessively concerned with something.

Edited by Gav Wilson, 07 February 2013 - 04:30 PM.

Posted Image

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

"you have no business being a fan"

Don't you DARE lecture me on being a fan! As it happens, my paternal grandmother's family came from Keighley, so just pray to god we are not related. Unlikely as our side is forward looking, open minded, still have our own teeth and not at all bigoted. The Bradford example is in no way analogous. I have to say that with "fans" like you, Keighley needs no enemies.

Edited by JohnM, 07 February 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't you DARE lecture me on being a fan! As it happens, my paternal grandmother's family came from Keighley, so just pray to god we are not related. The Bradford example is in no way analogous. I have to say that with "fans" like you, Keighley needs no enemies.

Well it so happens I was born in Bradford but then my parents saw the light.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Well it so happens I was born in Bradford but then my parents saw the light.

Unnecessary.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

It's all to do with tribalism, pride in achieving things for yourself, a sense of inferiority by having to be a chatel servant or a kept underling. If you don't understand these things, then you have no business being a fan.

After the bile you have posted on this thread, I do not think you can expect anyone to take you seriously or respect your outpourings ever again. You come across IMO as having a worrying obsession with Bradford - all your previous "moral high ground" outpourings against Bradford can now be seen in the true context, I suggest? - and with wider issues too.

I suspect the reaction of the majority of Keighley supporters will be "how dare you presume to speak for us?".

I don't like this twinning business much at all, esepcially when you see what happened at Swinton. But if it is what it takes to preserve a tier of clubs like Keighley outside of SL (and I fear it will be, since there is just not enough money in the game OR enough fans turning out!) then good luck to Keighley. Desperate times make for desperate remedies.

Edited by Adeybull, 07 February 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yet when other clubs were taking this course of action you were slagging them off. The word hypocrite comes to mind!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

“We’re not just going to bring in some of their under-20s squad, it’s going to be people out of their first-team squad.
“Hopefully it will make a difference and we can start competing with some of these teams who have already started bringing in Super League players."

Here endeth the first lesson.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Another club loses part of its identity. The whole thing is a farce and has been wrongly regulated. The likes of Moore, Wood and Leulei playing is so wrong and not how the DR was being promoted as. The way things are many Championship clubs are Feeder clubs in all but name. Who is to say that Castleford wont use Keighley as such? What is to stop Keighley, Hunslet, Swinton etc using Michael Shenton, Danny Mcguire or Lee Briers in playoff games? I would stop sponsoring players if my club ever joined up with a SL one, as for me the club would not be something I feel I could support. I am proud of my club and dont see the need for it to join forces with a SL one. I would rather my team in Championship 1 than watch it be a feeder club for a SL club. People with attitudes like JohnM disgust me to be honest, with their failure to respect what it means to some people who follow their club and why they dont want them partnered up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users