#21 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Why would a potentially better level and quality of competition cause fans to
1....be disgusted?
2.....walk away?

Surely it would increase interest, improve the quality of the games and attract more fans and therefore increase the club's income?

If you don't know the answer then it is pointless trying to explain it. You either get it or you don't. You clearly don't.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'll be interested to see if it's the vocal minority who disprove - for what it's worth I'm not against them or labelling or dismissing those who oppose - but I wonder if whether or not the crowds and such like do change much.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

After the bile you have posted on this thread, I do not think you can expect anyone to take you seriously or respect your outpourings ever again. You come across IMO as having a worrying obsession with Bradford - all your previous "moral high ground" outpourings against Bradford can now be seen in the true context, I suggest? - and with wider issues too.

I suspect the reaction of the majority of Keighley supporters will be "how dare you presume to speak for us?".

I don't like this twinning business much at all, esepcially when you see what happened at Swinton. But if it is what it takes to preserve a tier of clubs like Keighley outside of SL (and I fear it will be, since there is just not enough money in the game OR enough fans turning out!) then good luck to Keighley. Desperate times make for desperate remedies.

After the bile you have posted on this thread, I do not think you can expect anyone to take you seriously or respect your outpourings ever again. You come across IMO as having a worrying obsession with Bradford - all your previous "moral high ground" outpourings against Bradford can now be seen in the true context, I suggest? - and with wider issues too.

I suspect the reaction of the majority of Keighley supporters will be "how dare you presume to speak for us?".

I don't like this twinning business much at all, esepcially when you see what happened at Swinton. But if it is what it takes to preserve a tier of clubs like Keighley outside of SL (and I fear it will be, since there is just not enough money in the game OR enough fans turning out!) then good luck to Keighley. Desperate times make for desperate remedies.

Exactly what bile are you talking about. Can you give me an example so I know what you are talking about.?I speak as one Keighley supporter. I don't speak for them all. It's just my guess, my opinion that they might walk away. If I am wrong then time will tell. Will this preserve Keighley and the other clubs.? Once again time will tell. I fear it might not, just the opposite.

There would be no desperate times needing desperate remedies if the SL clubs could manage their finances, run their own reserve teams and junior teams and had not imposed these feeder club deals on the CC clubs.

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Yet when other clubs were taking this course of action you were slagging them off. The word hypocrite comes to mind!!!!!!

Where in my post do you see me supporting this arrangement. Just so you are clear. I think it stinks but for self preservation, I can see where the club had to follow the path taken by the other psychophants.

I fail to see where I am being hypocritical,

#25 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I think most Keighley fans will be disgusted and may walk away. The problem is our not being in such an arrangement looked likely to result in relegation due to not being able to beat SL assisted teams we would have expected to beat like Hunslet, York and Swinton.

I guess it's a classic case of the end justifying the means but, at least, we avoided having to work with the Bulls.

Marvellous hypocrisy.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Marvellous hypocrisy.

See post #18 on the Billy Slater and Jonathan Thurstan sign for Keighley thread. That's how I feel. I fail to see how i am being hypocritical when I postulate a reason for Keighley going this route. I never said I supported it and I don't. Where is this hypocrsiy in my views that you are wildly accusing me of?

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Where in my post do you see me supporting this arrangement. Just so you are clear. I think it stinks but for self preservation, I can see where the club had to follow the path taken by the other psychophants.

I fail to see where I am being hypocritical,

You couldn't see why the likes of York,Hunslet etc have dual reg agreements but you can now your club have one.Strange that.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

You couldn't see why the likes of York,Hunslet etc have dual reg agreements but you can now your club have one.Strange that.

I always said I could see why they had done it. I just never thought it was a good thing to surrender their independence and become merely an adjunct of a SL club with no further future than A status.

I think the same thing about the Keighley arrangement. I think they may as well change their colurs to black and yellow. Although I disagree with the Keighley action they are just about the last in the queue and it is my guess that they didn't want to do it but faced with the numerous other clubs with SL players that would see them a t the bottom of the league and relegated they threw their hat into the ring for self preservation.

I am not hypocritical. i think the whole thing from Batley to York and all the teams in between stinks and will destroy all those clubs as stand alone enities with ambitions of their own and leave them as useless succubbi to SL bloodsuckers.

#29 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Town fans were saying we werent happy with having to do the twinning thing, yet understood why. But that didn't wash with you in the other thread, but now you understand why Keighly are doing it. If that isnt hypocrisy then I dont know what is.

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

TBF you didn't,you always posted it as SL clubs forcing it on the Championship clubs,not the clubs wanting to do it to avoid relegation.

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

TBF you didn't,you always posted it as SL clubs forcing it on the Championship clubs,not the clubs wanting to do it to avoid relegation.

And TBF I think that Keighley, seeing what the situation was with those clubs already in these arrangements being about to wipe the floor with them, took a pragmatic view for self preservation. I don't know who approached who, Cas or the Cougars but Keighley and probably Barrow were left out on a limb that was being chopped off. Halifax, Fev and Leigh are richer and better supported clubs and can see a way to prosper on their own and think they have a good enough team without SL help even though they might lose a critical game down the road to A SL stacked rival.

I still don't support the concept though but I am not a decision maker at the club.

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

And TBF I think that Keighley, seeing what the situation was with those clubs already in these arrangements being about to wipe the floor with them, took a pragmatic view for self preservation. I don't know who approached who, Cas or the Cougars but Keighley and probably Barrow were left out on a limb that was being chopped off. Halifax, Fev and Leigh are richer and better supported clubs and can see a way to prosper on their own and think they have a good enough team without SL help even though they might lose a critical game down the road to A SL stacked rival.

I still don't support the concept though but I am not a decision maker at the club.

Nice back-tracking.

#33 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Town fans were saying we werent happy with having to do the twinning thing, yet understood why. But that didn't wash with you in the other thread, but now you understand why Keighly are doing it. If that isnt hypocrisy then I dont know what is.

And Keighley doing it dosn't wash with me either.

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

1. The way things are many Championship clubs are Feeder clubs in all but name. Who is to say that Castleford wont use Keighley as such?

2. People with attitudes like JohnM disgust me to be honest, with their failure to respect what it means to some people who follow their club and why they dont want them partnered up.

1. The CC clubs are being used as "A" teams. The CC clubs in question don't develop players to feed on to the SL clubs.

2. John is a long time staunch RL fan like me. He hollds a different view to you like I do. All three of us are big RL fans so I suggest you respect him.

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'll be interested to see if it's the vocal minority who disprove - for what it's worth I'm not against them or labelling or dismissing those who oppose - but I wonder if whether or not the crowds and such like do change much.

I think the record is clear.

Rugby league as is soccer is entertainment and the vast majority of fans don't give a fig for local tradition that is why Arsenal could sell out at top dollar every week and not have an englishman in the team.

That is why 132,000 fans watch Superleague and only 19,000 watch the Championship.

I love history and tradition more than most but it should not get in the way of success for our game. If fans hanker after the past fine, but to go round saying those that don't "disgust" them or "make them physically sick" is well out of order.

And they are almost certainly that good old (tiny) vocal minority that destroyed mergers :D

Edited by The Parksider, 07 February 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#36 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

And Keighley doing it dosn't wash with me either.

Yet you understand why they are.

#37 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

...............and locked.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#38 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

anyway.........

Jake Emmit is the prop
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,952 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Another club loses part of its identity. The whole thing is a farce and has been wrongly regulated. The likes of Moore, Wood and Leulei playing is so wrong and not how the DR was being promoted as. The way things are many Championship clubs are Feeder clubs in all but name. Who is to say that Castleford wont use Keighley as such? What is to stop Keighley, Hunslet, Swinton etc using Michael Shenton, Danny Mcguire or Lee Briers in playoff games? I would stop sponsoring players if my club ever joined up with a SL one, as for me the club would not be something I feel I could support. I am proud of my club and dont see the need for it to join forces with a SL one. I would rather my team in Championship 1 than watch it be a feeder club for a SL club. People with attitudes like JohnM disgust me to be honest, with their failure to respect what it means to some people who follow their club and why they dont want them partnered up.

People with attitudes like yours invoke pity in me. Pity that they are so blinkered, pity that they have not even tried to think about this issue, pity that they's rather see the game die than survive.

Edited by JohnM, 07 February 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#40 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

anyway.........

Jake Emmit is the prop

good luck on sun your gonna need it were gonna borrow ade gardner , anthony walker from saints and i believe paul clough not bad players in haven shirts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users