Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castlefords new twinning arrangement

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Gutted to find out this has happened. We always have known that SL rules the roost. To think that team in our league are now just going to be a feeder fills me with despair.

It may well be time to stop watching the game at this level all together.

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Gutted to find out this has happened. We always have known that SL rules the roost. To think that team in our league are now just going to be a feeder fills me with despair.

The feeder thing is inaccurate as I understand it. Stanningley may be a feeder club to Leeds as their best lads progress to leeds but Hunslet feed off Leeds in this arrangement. Leeds are the feeder club.

With Hunslet now containing young players playing in an adult league to develop them for the higher level and experienced players playing to overcome injury and maintain game time, I can only see Hunslet as being what I said at the start of all this, an "A" team.

As for the fans......

Hunslet.v.Barrow 2011 att:500 2013 att:500

Swinton.v.Workington 2011 att:650 2013 att:600

Batley.v.Keighley 2012 att:848 2013 att:775

Doncaster.v.Dewsbury 2007 att:1130 2013 att: 857

It remains to be seen how the fans situation will go.

However it's finance not fans that ultimately is the measure of the move. If the income lost because fans walk away is exceeded by the expenditure saved if players are paid for by the parent club then the club will see this as a success if balancing the books as a consequence of a policy of mere survival is what they want.

If the policy is an ambition for Super League then allowing fans to be put off such that they will walk will only take clubs further away from the magic 2,500 Super League requirement.

To me if CC crowds start to go down at "A" teams all that will happen is the parent club will look to make up the loss by putting more of their players into the junior partner.

How this will all pan out over a generation I don't know, but when new people decide they like the look of this "Rugby League" game will dads take their lads to what is effectively a junior partner of a senior club?

I don't think so in Leeds because there's no independence and ambition at the Hunslet club, they are an "A" team. So I can only assume as each of us old 'uns die out each of the new young 'uns will go to Leeds. Something that has happened already in terms of Leeds/Hunslet but not happened in terms of Keighley/Bradford.

We shall see

#43 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

1. The CC clubs are being used as "A" teams. The CC clubs in question don't develop players to feed on to the SL clubs.

2. John is a long time staunch RL fan like me. He hollds a different view to you like I do. All three of us are big RL fans so I suggest you respect him.

1. Not yet but thats what its setup as. The whole thing has changed to what it was originally setup to be or marketed as just a few months earlier. A number of Championship clubs are seen as dumping grounds to keep or help get a seasoned player fit. I bet the Hunslet props are really happy to lose their spot after putting in a big effort to somebody who likely doesnt even know who they are. I have just seen Leulei cant play for Hunslet which is good. If my club was in a similar situation to Hunslet I would walk away as I cant have pride in my club with what its doing. Some people can accept it others like me cant.

2. I dont care how long he or anybody else is a staunch RL fan. Why should I show respect to somebody who is arrogant and shows little respect to others? Just because he is a RL fan? And why are you sticking up for him, Cant he do that himself?

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

1. Not yet but thats what its setup as.

2. If my club was in a similar situation to Hunslet I would walk away as I cant have pride in my club with what its doing. Some people can accept it others like me cant.

3. Why should I show respect to somebody who is arrogant and shows little respect to others?

1. I think it's there when the likes of Moore and Leuluai are set to play.

2. Your club doesn't need to do these things to survive.

3. What I object to you doing is calling someone arrogant and disrespectful when guess what - he may well not be?

#45 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I thought this thread was going to a thread declaring Castlefords new Twinning arrangement with the Chuquicamata copper mine in Chile, so it could get susidised copper for the next time it has it's floodlight cable stolen
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#46 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

People with attitudes like yours invoke pity in me. Pity that they are so blinkered, pity that they have not even tried to think about this issue, pity that they's rather see the game die than survive.

Local clubs were set up and run for local people and sometimes it's not the sport the clubs play, it's what that sport represents. It just so happens that fans just may be more interested in their needs rather than that of rugby league as a whole. In the context of RL where the tribalism stems from very localised identities your pity rather smacks of arrogance.

#47 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I hope folk can see why two tens is now needed, most Championship clubs are not capable of turning a team out so we must save the few that are, and let the rest play in a meaningless league but watching SL's finest regain fitness will be incentive enough to carry on supporting their club.

#48 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I hope folk can see why two tens is now needed, most Championship clubs are not capable of turning a team out so we must save the few that are, and let the rest play in a meaningless league but watching SL's finest regain fitness will be incentive enough to carry on supporting their club.

Fev, Leigh, Fax, Eagles and Barrow don't want to be SL reserve sides and don't want to play in a league with SL reserve sides. So what's to become of them? There's more damage than good being done here and the RFL needs to get a grip and quickly.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#49 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Will those two tens include Leigh as well even if Rowley has to borrow players from Wigan?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#50 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I wonder how long it will be before the lower league clubs sell off their grounds and play their "home" fixtures at the parent clubs ground? This would make some financial sense.

#51 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

1. I think it's there when the likes of Moore and Leuluai are set to play.

2. Your club doesn't need to do these things to survive.

3. What I object to you doing is calling someone arrogant and disrespectful when guess what - he may well not be?

You saying Keighley, Hunslet York, Workington etc need to link up with SL clubs to survive? I dont have ths opinion as these clubs have survived for decades on similar crowds and money. Every club and the RFL needs to look at things at look at what it wants and how it will achieve it. I think many of the games problems are results from poor management and decision making. The DR for me is a further poor decisionj that will hurt clubs longerm and something thats not been properly thought through.

I have different opinions with a few on here, but I respect their decision and their mine. Posters like Rob in Evans and l Ange (Chris) for example. But with JohnM the way he belittles people and with his often arrogant and ignorant manner on here , I dont have time for such people.