Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

English Lions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ian Rooney has just named his first draft - see NCL website

Huge trawl of quality players from across the board. Seems to me to be a lot of freshness about it . Comments anyone ?

#2 Mog8

Mog8
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

It's a much stronger squad than than those selected by previous management and it doesn't seem to be a squad of who u know anymore fair play to the new management
"I'm 49, I've had a brain haemorrhage and a triple bypass and I could still go out and play a reasonable game of Rugby Union. But I wouldn't last 30 seconds in Rugby League." - Graham Lowe (Kiwi Coach - 1995)

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

http://www.nationalc...ish-lions-squad

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Looks a very good selection to me but in all fairness I thought previous selections weren't that far off the mark.

#5 Dwain Pipe

Dwain Pipe
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Squad now at 34 after all replies.

#6 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

It was watershed last year in that NCL became involved. It's difficult to see the other home nations being able to compete? Is there an expectation that lads from the NCL clubs will play for the other home nations other than England on parent/grand parent qualification.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

It was watershed last year in that NCL became involved. It's difficult to see the other home nations being able to compete? Is there an expectation that lads from the NCL clubs will play for the other home nations other than England on parent/grand parent qualification.

There is also nothing in the rules to stop any country from playing an ex-professional.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#8 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

There is also nothing in the rules to stop any country from playing an ex-professional.

Why should there be? If he's an ex-pro then he's as entitled to get picked as anyone else. Once again, you start up with this artificial division.

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Why should there be? If he's an ex-pro then he's as entitled to get picked as anyone else. Once again, you start up with this artificial division.

Whats your problem, I was just stating a fact and on the other hand ex-Pro's couldn't play for BARLA.

Going back to the Community Lions would it be right for a GB pro with 15 caps finishing playing pro one week and then the next being selected for the community lions & a player who has been an amateur all his career being told he has to finish playing for the community lions because he has reached the said limit of games.

Edited by Marauder, 25 February 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Whats your problem, I was just stating a fact and on the other hand ex-Pro's couldn't play for BARLA.

Going back to the Community Lions would it be right for a GB pro with 15 caps finishing playing pro one week and then the next being selected for the community lions & a player who has been an amateur all his career being told he has to finish playing for the community lions because he has reached the said limit of games.

The question should be "what's your problem?" You're the one who always tries to create artificial barriers between players. Given the history of our sport it's absurd to say that a player cannot do something simply because he played professionally.

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

The question should be "what's your problem?" You're the one who always tries to create artificial barriers between players. Given the history of our sport it's absurd to say that a player cannot do something simply because he played professionally.

I don't have any personal problems with it myself as I'm well past my playing days, I'm thinking more for the amateur player who has risen to the highest level of his ability only to see a player who has played at the very highest professional level trot along and take his shirt on a tour to wherever.

To my knowledge this has not happened but there is nothing to stop it from happening, do you think this is fair and good for the game?

Please point out where I've tried to place/created a barrier between players?

Edited by Marauder, 26 February 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

The point I was making was a amateur player is going to be asked to retire after `X` number of caps, yet a professional with `X` number of professional caps could play amateur at international level for the said number of amateur caps before retiring.

Edited by Marauder, 26 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#13 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Your very posts betray you Marauder. You are blinkered.

I have no doubt that the Coaches concerned will only pick players who have genuinely committed over time to the Community game ,but why should that stop for instance a 20 year old ex pro returning to his old club ( perhaps he got it wrong when he signed that part time contract ) from ever representing his country...?

Maybe it's Barla who have the rules incorrectly framed................

#14 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have no doubt that the Coaches concerned will only pick players who have genuinely committed over time to the Community game ,but why should that stop for instance a 20 year old ex pro returning to his old club ( perhaps he got it wrong when he signed that part time contract ) from ever representing his country...?

How many ex pros play for BARLA over 35s and deny stalwarts of the amateur game them honours? Yet young lads who never made the grade cant!!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#15 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

How many 20 year old ex pro's would have been a pro international? What I've said is true or is it something that you either overlooked or didn't know?

If a 20 year old came back into the amateur ranks I'd have no problem with him being selected but If Jamie Peacock decided tomorrow that he wanted to retire from the pro game but wanted to play amateur, would it be correct to select him for the Community Lions?

Well I suppose you will have to say I'm blinkered as the NCL committee start to prep the NCL clubs to welcome dual reg players.

Edited by Marauder, 27 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users