TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Another link up

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hopefully we haven't been told to play Gore then.
The Widnes supporters are suggesting that a couple of young forwards are now needing game time. Unless Widnes get some injuries this weekend, will we also be told to play these lads thus pushing out someone like Coward or Robinson?

Not supporting H4E, but trying to get the truthful situation out into the public domain, to stop rumour and speculation (which I have already done above).
If Town get told to play Gore or one of the forwards next week, then the cats out of the bag. Or maybe Coward/Robinson will be 'injured' or 'rested'. For me, when that happens that game, however important, becomes devalued.
Its time there was clarity everywhere on this. The RFL have virtually said that we are stuck with the system for the rest of the year, its time we found out what that means, then we can view our support or otherwise.

#42 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

All those players are still in Warringtons first team squad, according to their website.
Swinton now have a way of funding the stadium plans - if you believe the RFL (and at this point we probably have to with the above statement) then Swinton can now sell those 6 players.
We are going to be stuck with the system, and the farce that naming Leuluai became. Whats the betting Hunslet under-perform with this weeks 'is he playing isn't he playing?"

Read the RFL response again
Do you not want swinton to get their own ground?
Would you rather we went bust?
And when did a club last sell a player? !

Edited by mark richardson, 09 February 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#43 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Whos paying these players wages at swinton, and at the end of contract do they become free agents or go back to warrington. Without full disclosure on these points most will continue to be very suspicious of that link up

#44 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hopefully we haven't been told to play Gore then.
The Widnes supporters are suggesting that a couple of young forwards are now needing game time. Unless Widnes get some injuries this weekend, will we also be told to play these lads thus pushing out someone like Coward or Robinson?

Not supporting H4E, but trying to get the truthful situation out into the public domain, to stop rumour and speculation (which I have already done above).
If Town get told to play Gore or one of the forwards next week, then the cats out of the bag. Or maybe Coward/Robinson will be 'injured' or 'rested'. For me, when that happens that game, however important, becomes devalued.

In this system we will come unstuck if we persevere with players who are not of Championship calibre and I'm sorry to say it but one of those players just isn't.

#45 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Agree . Loyaltys great but you've also gotta match quality with quality and help yourself

#46 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Whos paying these players wages at swinton, and at the end of contract do they become free agents or go back to warrington. Without full disclosure on these points most will continue to be very suspicious of that link up

I dont know
What I do know is it sounds like you would prefer us to go bust
By the way I'd love to know how much you think these teenagers are or were getting. I do know that and its way off big money.

#47 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Read the RFL response again
Do you not want swinton to get their own ground?
Would you rather we went bust?
And when did a club last sell a player? !

Yes I've read the RFL statement - they are Swinton players. Warrington need to update their website then, unless there is a reason why they haven't - sponsors?
Now then, just tell me how all this stacks up.
Mendieka for example, has gone from a full-time contract with Warrington within the first team squad, to a part-time club who haven't got enough money to sign a large enough squad without relying on 9-10 players from Warrington.
If Swinton are paying full time wages on gates of 600 then most likely they are breaking the salary cap rules.
The RFL are treating supporters with contempt if they think their bland statement with pacify supporters of the game who can see the gaping holes in it.

Of course I'd love Swinton to have their own ground so that they can develop and put down roots etc without being nomads.
Fielding 10 Warrington players won't do that however.
It'll take time to get a ground ready and financed by which time the Championship competition may have been severely compromised and won't exist in its present form. IMO its not too unfeasible for Swinton to be playing out of the Halliwell Jones next season. If the RFL alienate enough supporters, that may have to be the next step for some.

Or is that part of the big plan........register all players with one rugby club then players like Leuluai can play for Hunslet without breaching UKBA rules. The RFL have gone public with trying to help (SL) clubs get round this obstacle so we know a little more where the RFL think the game should be heading.

Edited by shaun mc, 09 February 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#48 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

So we are still breaking the rules...even though you've just read that we aren't.
Our ground has been in the offing for ages. Who we play and where they come from isn't relevant to that
I'll ask you how do you know how much mendieka is earning?
I know how much one of his peers is on.
Its time to put this behind us and get on with the rugby.
The whining has reached almost scouse like levels!

#49 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

So we are still breaking the rules...even though you've just read that we aren't.
Our ground has been in the offing for ages. Who we play and where they come from isn't relevant to that
I'll ask you how do you know how much mendieka is earning?
I know how much one of his peers is on.
Its time to put this behind us and get on with the rugby.
The whining has reached almost scouse like levels!

Using JM as the example, I don't know what he will have been paid by Warrington, but if he was a full-time player for the past 12 months (Quote from Tony Smith) then he needs a reasonable salary in order to live and without falling foul of the min wage reg's.
I'm not picking on Swinton here, I've also posted regarding Hunslet and Leuluai.
I'm also trying to look at the bigger picture for the sport of RL in general, which i think could be harmed by this situation.
I've also said that I'd be against such as Kevin Brown or Gaz Hock playing for 30 mins at Town to get match fitness to help Widnes. It devalues it all IMO.

#50 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

So I am making it up? Wrong... Haven were told they must play a DR player this weekend. I'm not trying to stir things up, Happen to work with a couple of very well connected Haven fans and tend to believe what they tell me as it usually turns out to be true.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/haven/ex-gb-star-ade-gardner-has-point-to-prove-at-whitehaven-1.1033943?referrerPath=sport/haven

further proof if needed otto that you are talking rubbish

#51 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Using JM as the example, I don't know what he will have been paid by Warrington, but if he was a full-time player for the past 12 months (Quote from Tony Smith) then he needs a reasonable salary in order to live and without falling foul of the min wage reg's.
I'm not picking on Swinton here, I've also posted regarding Hunslet and Leuluai.
I'm also trying to look at the bigger picture for the sport of RL in general, which i think could be harmed by this situation.
I've also said that I'd be against such as Kevin Brown or Gaz Hock playing for 30 mins at Town to get match fitness to help Widnes. It devalues it all IMO.

The player I am familiar with was quite happy to stop being a full time player continue as a part time player and stay at college. ...why? Because and I quote "I just want to play rugby"

I'll quite happily accept and to some extent agree that the Wood/Mccarthy selection is different. That hasn't been brought up half as much as tge youngsters

The rest of what is being said about swinton doesn't need saying. Poor crowds dying club etc especially by the likes of town and york fans because we are in very similar states of play. If that's how people want their kicks then fill your boots folks.

#52 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm sorry mate but there's been a whole thread started because Wood was in the Swinton squad and then another one because Leuluai being named in Hunslet's squad. Those have been the main talking points.
Almost all are in favour of a small number of youngsters being with another club on a DR basis (probably for a fixed period) to get experience so I don't know where you are coming from, given the RFL's short-sighted decision to scrap reserve grade to save a few quid. Swinton have been singled out for then playing 9 from Warrington in a friendly, then having access to 75% of a full team and rightly so IMO.
Town and Widnes were singled out with the announcement of virtually all Widnes squad being DR'd and rightly so. However, after 1 game it is being used correctly. I'm still not convinced past this weekend as the Widnes supporters are wanting certain individuals to get game time with Town regardless of how well any one else is performing in the Town squad.

Poor crowds have been quoted in relation to finance and paying of players salaries with these new arrangements.

Edited by shaun mc, 09 February 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#53 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Then it all goes back to the exaggerated idea of how much these youngsters were on
Not a lot

#54 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm sorry mate but there's been a whole thread started because Wood was in the Swinton squad and then another one because Leuluai being named in Hunslet's squad. Those have been the main talking points.
Almost all are in favour of a small number of youngsters being with another club on a DR basis (probably for a fixed period) to get experience so I don't know where you are coming from, given the RFL's short-sighted decision to scrap reserve grade to save a few quid. Swinton have been singled out for then playing 9 from Warrington in a friendly, then having access to 75% of a full team and rightly so IMO.
Town and Widnes were singled out with the announcement of virtually all Widnes squad being DR'd and rightly so. However, after 1 game it is being used correctly. I'm still not convinced past this weekend as the Widnes supporters are wanting certain individuals to get game time with Town regardless of how well any one else is performing in the Town squad.

Poor crowds have been quoted in relation to finance and paying of players salaries with these new arrangements.

Correct in everything you say there shaun,which takes us back to the old system.Have an age restriction,and limit the amount of players you can register instead of the amount you can play and you remove 99% of the objections that most fans see is wrong with the current set up.The main problem is neither the RFL or the SL clubs want that and in all the comments i have seen from various SL clubs/coaches in main they mention keeping players fit or bringing them back from injury rather than developing youn players.I would be happy with the old system and a new loan set up to run along side it.Have a loan set up with a initial minimum period of two months or say 6 games loan/This would make championship clubs think long and hard about taken established SL players on loan for that length of time and the impact that could have on their SC.What ever the wrongs and rights it sems certain we are stuck with this for this season at least.

#55 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

http://www.newsandst...ath=sport/haven

Well the last sentence attributed to Dave Woods certainly proves that unless Haven use the players from St Helens the Saints may say they are finishing the partnership and join up with Leigh. I don't think that's what you meant though, is it? ;)

Edited by Keith T, 09 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#56 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

keith you know what that means and it is if there is nothing in the agreement for the SL clubs then why would they continue with it.Town will be no different to haven or any other club that have linked up and it will be a nightmare to manage.You may try to take the moral high ground in this but you lost that as soon as a full squad was DR.This been forced is rubbish to try to make one clubs situation in this worse than another clubs when in fact all the clubs have the same problems to deal with.Remember so far we are the only club with a link up that has refused all players offered in a week.

Edited by haven4ever, 09 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#57 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Haven4ever, you are the one trying to take the moral high ground hence all your posts on the same subject on numerous forums about how Haven were offered players and didn't use any. Then you are on here preaching that there should be age limits and limits to numbers of players under the system but just how many players at Saints have Haven access to? No-one knows until Saints make the offer on a weekly basis. By the end of the season you could have been offered more than Town have from Widnes. As for the age thing it is obvious that the SL club is not going to let this be all one way and it was also obvious from the outset that the SL club would be wanting players returning from injury to get get game time, so I had no problem with Wood playing for Swinton against us. I have no problem with Gardner playing for Haven but you seem to have this age thing in your mind all the time going by your numerous posts. I think we have all got the message you want it similar to last year. So do others and so do I with changes that didn't allow the SL to withdraw players at short notice as we suffered from last year. The fact is we have been landed with this system for this year at least so get over it.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#58 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

That's right . It's here for the season . It's been done to death now

#59 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

the games knackered. little brown envelopes everywhere. christ how do you run a squad of 35 lads on a gate of 6-700 . this is gonna blow up in the rfl faces.
you may as well drop the wording sallary cap from the rules of the game

Edited by off the wall, 09 February 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#60 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

http://www.newsandst...ath=sport/haven

So if I'm talking rubbish then somebody at your beloved club must be talking rubbish becuase that is where this has come from.

As for what is printed in the papers, papers only print what they want you to read,
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users