Kid Free Flights

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Any opinions on the latest proposals offering kid free flights?

IMO I'd rather fly with a whole creche full of screaming kids than fly with the pompous moaning windbags banging on about it. I've had more trouble with ignorant adults on flights than I have with annoying kids.

Edited by Johnoco, 08 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,602 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Kud free flights,are they only available in New Zealand?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

I had an 10 hour flight overnight from Heathrow to Johannesburg once, sat directly behind a baby who screamed most of the way. The return flight was during the day, and had several children of about 8-12 running around for all 10 hours, pushing past me in my seat (when they or their family weren't sat on my row), and generally causing a nuicance for other passengers.

Having said that, I don't think there is a need to ban them, just have segregated zones for those that wish to travel in peace, much like quite coaches on trains are supposed to be.

Having said that, I could just as equally rant about obese passengers. If you can't fit your frame in a single seat, then you should be forced to pay for two, not just invade my space and try to crush me. I'd rather have the kids for 10 hours. :rolleyes:

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Kud free flights,are they only available in New Zealand?

:) bloody phone!!

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

That's it though gazza, there are any number of reasons to be annoyed on flights. Smelly adults, drunks, snorers, fat people.....why single out kids.

#6 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Any opinions on the latest proposals offering kid free flights?

IMO I'd rather fly with a whole creche full of screaming kids than fly with the pompous moaning windbags banging on about it. I've had more trouble with ignorant adults on flights than I have with annoying kids.

I like the idea. I wouldn't take my kids on a plane because I wouldn't want the stress, but that stress would be eased a bit if I could turn around when my kids going mental and tell people if they were that bothered by it they should have chosen to fly kid free.

#7 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

That's it though gazza, there are any number of reasons to be annoyed on flights. Smelly adults, drunks, snorers, fat people.....why single out kids.

Because it's legal to discriminate against children

#8 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Exactly, and there should be means of controlling most of them. No alcohol on flights means no drunks. Fat people - you pay for excess luggage weight, then you can pay for excess seating space. Or sit them all together, so that they have to fight amongst themselves for the limited space. Smelly people - deoderant before they get on the plane. Snoring - wake them up!

Using my example with kids, there are actually two different issues in a way. The parents of the baby could not stop the child screaming, it's a fact that babies do that at a few months old. The parents of the older children could however have kept their offspring under control. That's why I would suggest different zones on flights, rather than an outright ban.

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Zones is not a bad idea and not too unreasonable. I know kids carrying on or screaming is annoying but think the reaction is slightly ott.

Deodorant? Would you be the one to go 'here you go, your pits stink'??? :D

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

how about stowing them in cargo?

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

You must all travel with commoners. I've only once had a flight disrupted by a screaming kid and that was because the on-board staff refused to open any of the baby milk cartons that required scissors to open them (despite every parent on board having received the same assurance that such cartons could and would be opened).

Occasional screams etc - frankly, turbulence annoys me more. Can't someone sort that out? I'm looking at you, so-called scientists.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Deodorant? Would you be the one to go 'here you go, your pits stink'??? :D

Some of my comments were a little tongue in cheek. ;) Having said that, on more than one occassion, I've known people have to have similar discussions with their staff at work, so it's not necessarily as unreasonable as it sounds.

No one is perfect, me included, and I've no doubt some of my habits may annoy other people. For many however, showing a little more consideration for other passengers would probably mean a more comfortable journey for everyone. :)

Please view my photos.

#13 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I like the idea. I wouldn't take my kids on a plane because I wouldn't want the stress, but that stress would be eased a bit if I could turn around when my kids going mental and tell people if they were that bothered by it they should have chosen to fly kid free.

Agreed for the very same reasons.

I've got a 2 year old and 4 year old and would be much more comfortable flying with them on "kid friendly" flights knowing moaners either put up or pay up for the exclusive kid free option.

Result.

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

You must all travel with commoners. I've only once had a flight disrupted by a screaming kid and that was because the on-board staff refused to open any of the baby milk cartons that required scissors to open them (despite every parent on board having received the same assurance that such cartons could and would be opened).

Occasional screams etc - frankly, turbulence annoys me more. Can't someone sort that out? I'm looking at you, so-called scientists.

Probably more Sev's field but I hope this helps to reassure you:

Light turbulence - briefly causes slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude.
Light chop - slight, rapid and somewhat rhythmic bumpiness without noticeable changes in altitude or attitude.
Moderate turbulence - similar to light turbulence, but greater intensity. Changes in altitude/attitude occur. Aircraft remains in control at all times. Variations in indicated air speed.
Moderate chop - similar to light chop, but greater intensity. Rapid bumps or jolts without obvious changes in altitude or attitude.
Severe turbulence - large, abrupt changes in altitude/attitude. Large variation in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be temporarily out of control.
Extreme turbulence - aircraft is violently tossed about and is impossible to control. May cause structural damage.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

or here: http://www.guidetops...om/airfacts.htm

Perhaps during a recent flight you found yourself worrying about some of the following:

• A wing might fall off
• One of the engines might stop
• Turbulence might make the plane tip over and lose control
• The plane might fall from the sky and crash

Edited by JohnM, 08 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Vne, as all pilots know, is the NEVER EXCEED speed. We never fly at speeds above this for fear of ripping the wings off

see: http://www.flightwri...enetration.html

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm confused as to how Denzel Washington could fly that big plane upside down.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

he was trying to shut up all those kids who were skriking.

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have no problem sharing a flight with kids, as long as their seats are on the wing.

Kids aren't the problem, its the parents who can't/won't control them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Probably more Sev's field but I hope this helps to reassure you:

Light turbulence - briefly causes slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude.
Light chop - slight, rapid and somewhat rhythmic bumpiness without noticeable changes in altitude or attitude.
Moderate turbulence - similar to light turbulence, but greater intensity. Changes in altitude/attitude occur. Aircraft remains in control at all times. Variations in indicated air speed.
Moderate chop - similar to light chop, but greater intensity. Rapid bumps or jolts without obvious changes in altitude or attitude.
Severe turbulence - large, abrupt changes in altitude/attitude. Large variation in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be temporarily out of control.
Extreme turbulence - aircraft is violently tossed about and is impossible to control. May cause structural damage.

I have little knowledge of aerodynamics apart from being able to solve the equations.

I would love kid free zones and not just on flights either. I had to endure a 14 hour flight once with babies screaming their heads off the whole way. The parents were very apologetic and concerned for their children's distress but it didn't make my travelling experience a nice one. The cabin staff did attempt to place the children in the same area, unfortunately that area was near me.

Likewise in pubs and restaurants I do not want children running around screaming. I don't mind children being there if they are well behaved, but it is the few that can really ruin it for other people and this is usually when the parents couldn't give a toss.

I don't like children. Part of the reason for this is I don't understand them and their thought proceses. Children by their nature are very selfish and haven't yet developed a sense of empathy. When I say this to people they look at me like I'm really odd (well I am but that's another issue), it seems like its taboo to admit you don't like children.

Edited by Severus, 08 February 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users