Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kid Free Flights

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Children are selfish yet you expect babies not to cry or a toddler not get fed up on a 14 hour flight? :rolleyes:

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Children are selfish yet you expect babies not to cry or a toddler not get fed up on a 14 hour flight? :rolleyes:

I don't. I expect the parents to realise that their offspring are likely to cry or get fed up on a 14 hour flight, and thus will disrupt other passengers. Therefore I expect the parents to realise that one of the sacrifices that they have to make as a consequence of having young children is not being able to travel halfway round the world until their children are old enough to sit still and keep reasonably quiet.

That, or back to the original suggestion of segregated areas on flights, which would appear to be a solution that would resolve most of the issues. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I agree gazza. But ....I believe the children are our future, teach them well and not to cry on planes, show them not to disturb Sevs holidayyyy.

#24 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

No, I fully expect it. That is why I'm in favour of child free zones on flights. Seems like a sensible decision all round. The parents can not worry about their children annoying others and those who want a bit of piece and quiet can book seats in the child free zone.

Edited by Severus, 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#25 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I agree gazza. But ....I believe the children are our future, teach them well and not to cry on planes, show them not to disturb Sevs holidayyyy.

OFFS
Fides invicta triumphat

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

No, I fully expect it. That is why I'm in favour of child free zones on flights. Seems like a sensible decision all round. The parents can not worry about their children annoying others and those who want a bit of piece and quiet can book seats in the child free zone.

All fair enough. Not that it'll stop letters to the papers from parents, accusing anyone who wants such a thing of being heartless barren monsters.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

All fair enough. Not that it'll stop letters to the papers from parents, accusing anyone who wants such a thing of being heartless barren monsters.

No but lets have it right. I don't want to sit next to pensioners or people slurping tea or coffee or have smelly feet. So zones for all is only fair.

#28 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

The parents can not worry about their children annoying others

Apart from people with kids who's children are well behaved.

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

it seems like its taboo to admit you don't like children.

It's worse if you really, really like children.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

My rule is to regress and act like a child, it's brilliant.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

guess which end of the spectrum hindle is.

and me..

Edited by JohnM, 08 February 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#32 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Apart from people with kids who's children are well behaved.

True but I think most people who have children know they have to give up a few luxuries.
Fides invicta triumphat

#33 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I must admit that on the few long haul flights I've been on - via Emirates to/from Australia - kids haven't bothered me that much. There have been a few excited ones running along the passageways, to and from the loos, etc, but they seem to settle down after a while (probably knackered!). The extensive entertainment tends to help subdue them after a while, and helps me ignore any disruption.

Also, on a journey lasting 20 hours or so most normal people - including kids - tend to succumb to exhaustion. Not me, though. I get a short nap of 90 minutes, if I'm lucky, so most of my journey is enjoyed in peace (peaceful watching of films, listening to rock music, watching the footage of the plane's external cameras, reading Rugby League World/Rugby League Week).

Small babies crying just brings the paternal side of me, regardless of how loud or persistent it goes on.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have no problem sharing a flight with kids, as long as their seats are on the wing.

Kids aren't the problem, its the parents who can't/won't control them.

indeed - parents who think their precious little darlings can do no wrong and should be allowed to run around uncontrollably are the issue here.
Same goes for most public places though not just planes.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

It's worse if you really, really like children.

:biggrin:

#36 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

watching the footage of the plane's external cameras, reading Rugby League World/Rugby League Week).

Small babies crying just brings the paternal side of me, regardless of how loud or persistent it goes on.

Just shows how different people can be. It just makes me think stfu. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

indeed - parents who think their precious little darlings can do no wrong and should be allowed to run around uncontrollably are the issue here.
Same goes for most public places though not just planes.

There's very few parents with this attitude though. Its like most adults are reasonable on a flight or other enclosed scenario but there's always exceptions. Drunk people on planes can be a nightmare.

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

There's very few parents with this attitude though. Its like most adults are reasonable on a flight or other enclosed scenario but there's always exceptions. Drunk people on planes can be a nightmare.

i disagree about there being very few.
Its even worse when parents feel that sorting their kids out is screeching at them making even more of a scene than their kids.

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

i disagree about there being very few.
Its even worse when parents feel that sorting their kids out is screeching at them making even more of a scene than their kids.

Its not easy mate, as you will probably know one day. ;) When you are losing your rag the last thing you need is someone tut-tutting at you and pointing out your parental shortcomings. Perhaps some of the stress comes from knowing your kids are annoying others?

And it is only a minority that regard their kids as little angels who can do no wrong, most realise they can be a pain.

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Its not easy mate, as you will probably know one day. ;) When you are losing your rag the last thing you need is someone tut-tutting at you and pointing out your parental shortcomings. Perhaps some of the stress comes from knowing your kids are annoying others?

And it is only a minority that regard their kids as little angels who can do no wrong, most realise they can be a pain.

my kids WILL be little angels and will do no wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users