Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Horsemeat lasagne

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Horsemeat tests ordered on beef products

Food retailers have been told to carry out tests on all processed beef products after some Findus lasagnes were found to contain 100% horsemeat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21377601

The price we pay for 'cheap' food stacked high in supermarkets is that we don't know what the hell we're eating anymore regardless of what it says on the packet.

Heads should roll, but probably won't.

I'm beginning to understand vegetarianism.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Chris Evans made a good point this morning, he suggests that tall of this could be a catalyst to the return of high street Butchers, Bakers etc. I think people are getting fed up (pun not intended) with bad service and products.

#3 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

That's why we keep our 'use' of processed food to a minimum. It's all tasteless and overpriced anyway.

LUNEW.jpg

#4 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

That's why we keep our 'use' of processed food to a minimum. It's all tasteless and overpriced anyway.

Exactly. We've used our local butchers for years, the quality is so much better it's sometimes hard to believe that stuff comes from the same animals as that sold in supermarkets. Perhaps the recent news explains why: it isn't the same animals. :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

An inevitable result of everyone wanting low price food available 24/7.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

The latest concern is that human DNA has been found in Welsh lamb.

That said, many of us have suspected this for years.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think this is brilliant news. I spent much of my 20s eating living on crappy ready meals and I was always a touch worried I might have contracted Mad Cow Disease as a result of the low quality beef they throw into those things.

But as it turns out, I was eating horse all along!

Result! It's a weight off my mind, I can tell you.

That's me.  I'm done.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,972 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I know it's not the point but if they'd offered horsemeat lasagne, I'd've probably gone out and tried it. Tomorrow night I'll have to try the zebra I got.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

We'll all be fine once those nasty supermarkets have gone and we're back to buying meat from our friendly trusted butcher
http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-11814600

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

I know it's not the point but if they'd offered horsemeat lasagne, I'd've probably gone out and tried it. Tomorrow night I'll have to try the zebra I got.

You have to fry it on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

The latest concern is that human DNA has been found in Welsh lamb.

That said, many of us have suspected this for years.

:D

I go to an auction rooms in Bradford and last week I bought a new bell for my front door. It's a proper cast iron bell and it's got a cast-iron model sheep on the frame.

This week I've been back and bought one for my sister ... it's got a cow on it!!!

Seriously, we get on really well, it's just that she lives in a cottage surrounded by fields with Hereford Cows grazing in them.
:)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

You have to fry it on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes!

Everyone knows that Zebras are black with white stripes. He'll have to do Louisiana style blackened steak and scrape some off!

LUNEW.jpg

#13 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

What's the fuss? For years we've been told that Ready Meals contain too much Salt and Shergar. (Graeme Garden)

Edited by WearyRhino, 08 February 2013 - 11:13 AM.

LUNEW.jpg

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Put my Findus Lasagne into microwave. I took it out after 3 minutes & it still wasn't finished. I said, "I've backed you before haven't I?" (Danny Baker)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I always thought that a Findus Lasagne for one was made entirely of broken dreams, a feeling of emptiness and heartache.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I always thought that a Findus Lasagne for one was made entirely of broken dreams, a feeling of emptiness and heartache.

I think you'll find that that's actually the crispy pancakes. HTH.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

So it turns out horse tastes like beef and is much, much cheaper.

Struggling to see a downside to this news.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

A cat, delivered in a frozen peas box, is named Findus in a children's books series by Sven Nordqvist see http://en.wikipedia..../Sven_Nordqvist

"Everybody's getting uptight about lasagne, wait until you hear what they put in their coq au vin" - credited to Tony Hannan

Don't get too carried away about your local butcher. Scottish Butcher of the Year

Organics too. http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-13746682

You still need to be vigilant about hygene. no matter who you buy your food from or where it comes from.

Edited by JohnM, 08 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#19 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Just what I wanted to say. I'm quite prepared to eat horse but it's not on sale legitimately.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

So it turns out horse tastes like beef and is much, much cheaper.

Struggling to see a downside to this news.

It's nice to know what you are eating. I don't have a problem with horse meat but if it had been dog meat that would be different. Yeah I know it's not logical.

Edited by Northern Sol, 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users